Help with buying a 8p.

danny_dj3

Reaction score
Hi all, been on the hunt for a 8p sportback for a month or two now and haven't really seen the one for me yet untill today when i went to view a 61 plate with so-so history and 80k on the clock. the car ticked all the boxes for me really however whilst running the engine, i removed the oil cap and the engine dropped rpm like crazy and pretty much wanted to stall.
I have just rebuilt my 8l, done all the pcv etc etc and when i remove my cap, the engine is fine, no splutter, no stalling.

just wondered if this is a usual thing for the engines to do, as i dont have much experience with the 2.0t lumps.

cheers,

danny.

It’s called a vacuum leak - perfectly normal. My 8P will stall if I remove the cap.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
The engine shouldn't stall but the rev should drop and might run lumpy. May need the pcv replacing with the newer part # and also the newer dipstick design.

Does this affect performance as my s3 also does this with the oi cao removed

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The only preventative maintenance i havent done was replace the pcv as its probably still the original from factory

cheers all, i was just unsure like i said as my 8l doesn't do this. thought initially it would be the pcv system as i know they are a pain.

also heard the cam chain/tensioner should be done around 80k, is this a must or should i not be too worried. sure i read up somewhere you can hear when they are on the way out, but hey ho, noob on 8p's here ;)

thanks again

cheers all, i was just unsure like i said as my 8l doesn't do this. thought initially it would be the pcv system as i know they are a pain.

also heard the cam chain/tensioner should be done around 80k, is this a must or should i not be too worried. sure i read up somewhere you can hear when they are on the way out, but hey ho, noob on 8p's here ;)

thanks again
Car will the noisey and rattle.more during idle and cold.start if it hasnt been done by prevous owner and no proof.then just get it done and out f the way. I done mine at 62k and it was slack AF im.suprised it never snaped

The 8L and 8P are very different engines. These TFSI engines will idle rough if you open the oil cap or even remove the dipstick.

The PCV system on the 8P is far more advanced but if you change the PCV, change the gasket too.

Cam belt and water pump at the left end should be done on 40k miles, I’m not sure about the chain and tensioner but I did it at the same time.

If you have VCDS you can get an idea of timing chain/ tensioner life in block 91 or 92.

Reactions: danny_dj3
cheers sam, thats much appreciated. i think whatever i get [miles wise] i will do both water and timing and chain and tensioner for peace of mind.
i dont have vcds, but i have a mate on the 8l forums who does :)

Reactions: samuelh_888