Help with APY to AMK Engine swap

Fizashah

Reaction score
Hello,
i am new to the forum so thanks for having me.
i have a 2001 s3 with an APY engine. The engine is wrecked so need to sort it out. I have found an AMK engine that includes turbo, wiring, ecu, manifold etc. I am a newbie so forgive me but will this fit in my car? If not, what modifications will be required? I have a local mechanic who’s agreed to do the swap for me. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Is your car face lift or prefacelift? not seen a 2001 MY S3 thats an actual APY prefacelift as the first 2001 MY cars were Y reg AMK's....

If your car is a face lift then chances are its had a head or engine swap in the past... if its a genuine 2001 MY APY then congrats as thats makes it quite unusual...

Either way you can treat the doner AMK engine as a bare unit as physically they are the same... as Karl has already mentioned there are a few subtle differences and while fitting an AMK engine itself is not really that difficult, using the rest of the kit (ECU etc) is a little more challenging...

If you don't have the AMK dash cluster then the ECU will need to be immo defeated... if you do have the dash cluster you may also need to use the internal loom or parts of it at least to get it working as the early stuff only used two plugs where AMK/BAM use three plugs for the dash cluster wiring...

Your late APY (assuming it is of course) should have an engine control relay fitted... if not then one will need fitting... the MAF sensor is different between the narrow band APY and wideband AMK/BAM as is the O2 sensor so the AMK/BAM versions will need to be used along with the wiring...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: NHN and desertstorm
2001 apy?

That's new on me.

That car was allot of fun, had it 8 years, it was delivered on back of lorry from Scotland, cost me £21.5k iirc, took for a spin, let an employee drive it, cretin kerbed a wheel, my fault for letting him.

I might can contribute here.. My S3 is 2000 reg APY but the previous owner has fitted from what I can tell an AMK engine. As said above, the AMK was just dropped in the engine bay, without any fiddling to the electrics/electronics. Consequently, now I have an AMK engine working as an APY if that makes any sense. The engine works as a narrowband, VVT is not connected and MAF is also narrowband (I know because I personally changed it). Overall, my feeling is that the car works fine (although I have a constant EPC light on - waiting for VAG-COM cable to work on that).

P.S. If you need any photos etc. feel free to ask!

Mechanically the engines are more or less the same.... so physically and mechanically the base engine could be deemed a straight swap....

The main change between APY and AMK/BAM engine wise is the move to wideband... mechanically the main difference is the VVT tensioner and inlet cam (VVT cam centre lobes are offset slightly)...

Electrically there are quite a few changes which can extend into the cabin (dash cluster uses a third plug, CAN feed and potentially a different IMMO version)

A proper APY to AMK conversion is quite a bit more involved if you plan to go wideband but is totally doable and beneficial in terms of the wideband ECU and for having EGT and VVT especially if planning a bigger turbo conversion...

Just depends what your end game is really as to how far down the rabbit hole you want to go :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: johna650
I never bothered so far checking the dash to see the connections...
Actually I am planning to move towards a wideband conversion and my mechanic stated the following:
  1. need W/B o2 sensor + harness
  2. harness for VVT
  3. W/B ECU (immo deleted)
  4. MAF
Regarding EGT, he told me not to bother as they are prone to failure and code it out from the ECU.
Currently I am educating myself on 20vt engines, (as I am a mechanical engineer and have done some wrenching through the years) in order to do the W/B conversion..

P.S. Bear in mind that I am located in Greece and mechanics do things in a simple manner (not always the correct one), that they have learnt through the years..

You may also need to fit an engine control relay and some APY cars didn't have one...

As for EGT... they are no less prone to failure than any other sensor tbh but they are arguably an essential part of the WB conversion in so much that OE map runs fuelling at lambda 1 even under load until EGT's hit 925deg C then dumps fuel in to help cool things down... its not a great strategy but was used to get the car through the latest emission requirements in the early 2000's...

Personally if you have an EGT probe then fit it... its a nice to have especially on a K04 that gets really hot fairly quickly... even on a decent tune where fuelling is dialled in correctly the EGT's can get nasty so it can be used for what its designed for and kick component protection fuelling strategies in...

<tuffty/>

....The engine is wrecked so need to sort it out......

Unless you're desperate to do the conversion, why not first establish how the engine is wrecked?