Help with A4 boot lock problem

Steve_D

Reaction score
Hi there i have a 99 a4 se, the other day i locked the car (as normal) with the key fob (as usual) and just tried the boot and it opened!!!

Why this is i cant understand? i have tried numerous ways of getting it to lock but to no accomplishment.

I tried the normal way, with the boot up but the lock mechanism in closed position, locking the car pressing the boot open button on the fob the shutting the boot again but whatever i try pressing the pads to open the boot whilst locked it still opens.

Can anyone help with this of give some advice on what it could be?

BTW if i use the key to lock the boot it works (doesnt open)

Im not sure how long this has been going on for it was just by some chance i tried the boot and opened.

Oh and when i lock the doors with the fob at the offside rear of the car i can hear a motor noise, not loud but if ur quiet u can hear it, and goes off after 30 seconds. When i open the car it sounds but for 2 seconds which i think is normal, its just strange how it sounds for a while i never noticed it befor and i live i a quiet street

i hope someone can help as its really fustrating me now

Cheers Steve D

Sounds like you have a leak in the hose going from the central locking unit (behind the drivers side rear wheel arch) to the lock mechanism. It's a pretty straight forward fix, just a case of replacing the vac line. If you don't get it sorted then you could cause your central locking unit to fail as the impeller will be operspinning.

Have you tried locking the boot with the key, then seeing if it will unlock using the fob? If the vac line has gone then it should remain locked.

HTH

Thanks Blue Thunder i'll give it a good look at, i did try have a look yesterdad which i didnt way im my post and saw the motor in question but it was getting dark, but just to add something... when i took the black plastic trim off (what the boot lid shuts to) and pulled the fabric pannel away i tried to lock the boot and it did??? but when it was put back together again it didnt lock so maybe the pannels are putting pressure on this vag line u suggest,

Very helpful infomation Blue Thunder and will put an update on here as soon as i have gave it a look

Right i have an update now, blue thunder gave me some geat advise but thankfully it wasnt the vag line, i opened the side panneling on the right hand side of the boot and founf the motor and 2 pipes that were connected to it but they were all in tact traced them as far as i could go. so then took the cover off the boot lid and had a mess with the mechanisms there so tested to see it it locked and did!!! im nit sure what i did but whatever it was it worked. I did press a button that when the key it turned would press and this made the locking motor do a movement, after this was done it worked, weather it reset the system or not im couldnt be sure. Thanks for the advise so glad its done now, and cost free!!!! haha