Help with 1.8T Error Codes

joegraham

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a A4 Quattro 1.8T thats is throwing some error codes.

The first code up was:
P1128 - Fuel trim: Bank 1 (mult) System too Lean

This light started coming on intermittently and got gradually more frequent. The car seemed a bit down on power but other than that was fine. I bought a OBD2 scanner and cleared the code and it stayed off for a couple of days but the light came back on today.

The scanner now shows 2 codes, the first one and a new one:
P0011 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake) ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Now the car is struggling to idle, it is over-revving every few seconds. And the car seems very slow and sluggish. I haven't driven far but I also suspect my MPG is down.

After doing some research on the internet I've found possible faults are a faulty Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) or a faulty Fuel Pump Relay (J17).

Anyone had any experience with these faults?

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Joe

Hi

I've got a A4 Quattro 1.8T thats is throwing some error codes.

The first code up was:
P1128 - Fuel trim: Bank 1 (mult) System too Lean

This light started coming on intermittently and got gradually more frequent. The car seemed a bit down on power but other than that was fine. I bought a OBD2 scanner and cleared the code and it stayed off for a couple of days but the light came back on today.

faulty injector or pump..

The scanner now shows 2 codes, the first one and a new one:
P0011 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake) ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Now the car is struggling to idle, it is over-revving every few seconds. And the car seems very slow and sluggish. I haven't driven far but I also suspect my MPG is down.

After doing some research on the internet I've found possible faults are a faulty Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) or a faulty Fuel Pump Relay (J17).

vvt unplugged or faulty.. Basically the vvt isn't advancing to the 22 degrees its requesting..

Anyone had any experience with these faults?

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Joe

But a faulty pump will cause both issues

Thanks for the replies.

Checked for vac leaks and didn't find any. However when I removed the pancake filter from the TIP I found it was blocked full of brown sludge so I cleaned this out before putting it back. Could this have caused one or both of the faults? Also is there any other places I should check for this sludge now that I have found it in the pancake filter? I believe its part of the PCV system??

I cleared the fault codes after putting everything back together and have done about 20 miles since and the engine light hasnt came back on as of yet. The car also seemed to drive better with more power.

Thanks again.

Joe

Last edited:
My car had the same errors and sludge in the vac system .my fault was down to the crankcase breather valve.
have a look at this thread on how to check the part and change it. the part was not dear from the dealers so it may be best to get one before you take it apart. also a couple of jubilee clips .I did mine and it didn't take long and I am no expert.
hope this helps

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...104028-crankcase-breather-valve-location.html

Thanks for the replies! I have replaced the valve as a precaution and the idle has been fine since. After clearing the error codes only the P1128 code has now returned.

I have re-checked for vacuum leaks and still couldn't find any, however I noticed that you can hear the oil in the sump gurgling, is this normal when doing a vacuum test?

The car is returning 25MPG which seems low even for a 1.8t quattro??

Next step is to check the injectors, fuel pump and filter I guess?

Thanks again

Joe