Help! Vehical light malfunction

Kevin_w90

Kevin
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Helloo, need some help. Fitted my footwell lights yesterday and added some wiring (yet to be connected) for the vent lights. Footwell lights all connected up bar the coding and turned the car on today and I get an error messages saying vehical light malfunction. As a result I have no steering lock, no instrument cluster lights (apart from needles), no mmi lights however the mmi works, can't turn off the headlights as the switch doesn't work now but the auto sensor is working as the lights come on and I can get full beam... very confused. Footwell lights I followed instructions online with a wire going to pin 17 of the 32 housing (grey) and pin 14 of the black 17 pin housing. When I plugged one of the connectors back in yesterday I did get a bleep from the car but thought it was just the module waking up again. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

A VCDS scan may help you pinpoint the problem, have you checked various fuses related to lighting.

JG

Reactions: Kevin_w90
First thing to do is disconnect all the wires you have connected and see if that resolves the issue. As above checking with VCDS may point you in the direction of what is wrong if that does not clear the problem. What year and model is your car ?.

Reactions: Kevin_w90 and Bugeye_bob
Hello, yes ive pulled the various control module fuses abe they all seem fine. Put the car in for a vcds scan this morning as my local garage said they would look at it for my today. Pulled out all the added wires but no success however the bleep did appear when I plugged back in the grey 32 pin plug after adding the front footwell lights. Car is 2012 a4 b8 avant (face-lift black edition 177)

Hello, yes ive pulled the various control module fuses abe they all seem fine. Put the car in for a vcds scan this morning as my local garage said they would look at it for my today. Pulled out all the added wires but no success however the bleep did appear when I plugged back in the grey 32 pin plug after adding the front footwell lights. Car is 2012 a4 b8 avant (face-lift black edition 177)

Hopefully the VCDS scan will show your problem, and it will be an easy fix.

Keep us posted with the outcome.

JG

Hopefully it's a simple fix just rather nervous haha. I'll keep yous posted.

Thanks

Reactions: RS5 JON
The wiring locations look good.

A4 FOOTWELL WIRING

As long as you were on the right pins on the connectors unless you have a short circuit on the footwell light circuit I wouldn't have thought you would have done any damage.
A4 FOOTWELL WIRING CONNECTORS

As they weren't enabled in VCDS they shouldn't have been powered anyway. Some times the module gets confused when connectors are disconnected and this may be the case. Sometimes disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes will sort some issues.

Reactions: kanecullen89, Kevin_w90 and RS5 JON
Helloo, OK today not so good news well unsure. Garage phoned saying they can't do anything and their scan says there is no power coming from the main light switch however they are doubtful that it's the only fault as the parking sensors and that don't work either... recon the whole j519 module could be blown which if it is ill be extremely unhappy about as it should have blown a fuse first not the whole unit surely. Booked into audi for next week however I'll try desertstorms idea of disconnecting the battery for a while and fingers crossed that might help.

Gutted for you mate, hope Audi Stealers aren't to sore on you, but more importantly you get the car up and running as it should.

Again, let us know how you get on.

JG

Always hopeful it's somthing simple and appreciate everyone's comments. It's annoying as it's a beautiful car in scuba blue with great wheels but lacks certain things I really want and with the hassle I've had since buying I'm considering getting shot but we will see :)

Based up in the north east of scoland between Aberdeen and Inverness

It seems most of the things that are faulty are run from the 32 way connector that you were wiring to on the J519 . The circuits all have different fuses and the only common point appears to be the J519. Did you remove the 32 way connector on the J519 and did you push it back home fully if you did. The electrical systems on these cars are so complicated these days, You need something the size of a Haynes manual for the wiring diagrams.Not just 10 pages at the back like you used to get.

Ahh OK yes I did remove the 32 pin grey connector to plug in the wire for the front footwell lights. I did find when I took the clip out someone already has been in there was as the pink clamp was broken in two however it still does clamp down. Had it out a couple of times since and tried to make sure I'm pushing it back fully. Haha I know the electrics are crazy.. nothing like my old defender.. miss them days :)

Based up in the north east of scoland between Aberdeen and Inverness
have you checked the VCDS map to see if anyone can have a look with you? You might find it better with another enthusiast and your self looking through. Rather than handing it to Audi to play with.

Never even knew there was a vcds map! Appears to be a couple of people around me that have it and I'll try get in contact with them! Really appreciate your comment

It probably not going to help you a great deal but just to give and example of how complicated the electrics are on these cars, I had an issue where all the warning lights were coming on the dash at every start. Just randomly started. Scanned it and it came with numerous communication errors with the CCM and ambient temp sensor. Garage changed the sensor and everything worked perfectly again. Very strange cars indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wiring locations look good.

View attachment 103070

As long as you were on the right pins on the connectors unless you have a short circuit on the footwell light circuit I wouldn't have thought you would have done any damage.
View attachment 103072

As they weren't enabled in VCDS they shouldn't have been powered anyway. Some times the module gets confused when connectors are disconnected and this may be the case. Sometimes disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes will sort some issues.

Just shows you that something like a simple sensor can cause so much grief. Well a good bit of news I have left the battery off for 2 hours and like magic when reconnected everything WORKS! Lights, steering lock, parking sensors the lot! Module must have just freaked out at being unplugged... thanks very much for all your help throughout this issue.

Now just to get these lights working but ill be extremely careful! Count myself very luck :)

Reactions: kanecullen89, desertstorm and RS5 JON
Good news, Three pin reset FTW .
Good job they didn't start ordering things. It might be prudent to disconnect the battery when messing with the wiring and only connect it up when you are happy everything is connected correctly.