Help! S3 or Range Rover Evoque

I have no clue on the technicals so happy to be corrected, I did read an Autoexpress article that mentioned Haldex on Evoques but it was from 2011...
'While the Evoque can be specified with front-wheel drive, most buyers will opt for 4WD. This uses the Freelander’s Haldex system, which shuffles torque between the front and rear axles to ensure power is sent where it’s needed most.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-r...e/18394/range-rover-evoque-road#ixzz3PXTFwPB4'

Yep - the first Evoque was just transplanted onto Freelander running gear with Haldex.

As I've said, now, from MY2014, its a totally new drivetrain that is class beating.

I'm a dyed in the wool locking centre diff Land Rover man, but I've driven the 2014 Evoque off road in some pretty extreme terrain, and come out the other end fairly impressed, for not a "proper" Land Rover. ;)

The GKN Active Driveline coupled with a 9 speed ZF gearbox - pretty sweet.

I'm not being biased, this is my opinion before I got an Audi..

RR Evoque is an ugly, pointless car that was designed by Victoria Beckham - yeah ok, like she did anything. Idiot designed the ugly rear on it most likely. Or designed one headlight and got a tonne of cash for it. The fact that you could own a car that had some involvement with her is an insult to the car and the owner :lmfao:

Anyway, I don't think that car is a real Land Rover at all tbh. My dad loves Land Rovers and says the same thing lol.

I would say S3, but keep your options open, as others have said - you could look at a Q3/Q5 - I won't tell my dad I said this as he'd tell me to say nothing is a real 4x4 accept a Land Rover, except from an Evoque obviously :p

There's a lot of hate for the evoke here.... :wtf:

It's a proper Land Rover and is a very capable car on and off road.
Victoria Beckhams input is actually for the interior design which TBH is pleasant to look at.

It's a shame that such a great car is tarnished by the image that precedes it.
I guess if it didn't look the way it did it wouldn't be so popular.
Land Rover could probably save themselves a lot of money by making it not capable off road as TBH who will drives one off road?

If you read back a few posts you will see I was not amused by the Evoque in the slightest, so ordered the S3.

I know this is an Audi forum so maybe a little bias but I cannot decide on brand new S3 SB or RR Evoque. The wife will drive it mainly 5 miles a day to work and back but I do all the driving at weekends etc, so love the power of the S3 and it ticks all the boxes for maybe a baby in the future. But the RR is very nice so I just can't decide, can I get your unbiased thoughts as you are all very helpful folks.

lol this made me smile, it's like walking into a pub in the middle of Manchester on a Saturday afternoon and asking for unbiased thoughts on who will win the match against Liverpool today :D

TBH I do like the RR, but for a one car family...has to be the S3 as you have the best of both worlds with space and speed :) I guess that's why you ordered one ;)

Sorry mate just read through, I decided to read some stuff out to my dad since he wants a new Freelander and I say just look at an Audi Q3 as he says it's nice but wants a Land Rover again. Things I've been hearing about them isn't great plus I can't see how the freelanders interior looks premium at all, looks very cheap and plasticy

I thought I read the Freeloader has been discontinued, replaced by the Disco Sport, along with a huge price increase.

Yes you are right, the freelander is no longer made, but no doubt some cracking deals to be had on them if they are still in stock, as it is replaced by the Disco Sport. Also this is the last year of the Defender which is a great shame as one of the if not the most iconic cars ever made.

I've spotted two disco sports at my local landrover last week although it looked like they were demos and not for customers. That said there will be some good deals on the freelander however im not sure I'd like one as it suffers with similar issues to the evo eg noisy engine, crap multimedia system.

Yes the Freelander is on a very old platform now, and rather brash for the JLR brand these days, hence why I think the Defender has been defunked.

The Disco Sport is very nice and ticks many boxes but very expensive as the Freelander use to be aimed at £25k market, these days you don't get much for under £35k in the JLR stable once you add the options! My local dealer had a virtual reality version of the Disco Sport where you wore these glasses and you could see the car in front of you, which you could walk around and see every angle,very strange assault on the senses, but very clever.

Defender had to go as it doesn't meet future EU and NAS crash and safety requirements.

Don't get me on the EU, it's a car that has been in production for 67 years, and in fairness a lot of them are still going, so can't be that unsafe for what they are generally used for, which is not a commute down the M1 each day, its purpose is agricultural, and a ****** good job it does too.

Its a sad day when the EU f**kwits get involved and close down a part of British heritage under the banner "elf & safety" we must all be rolled in bubble wrap and protected and made to consume EU fodder........

Reactions: elpaulio
Seems like the Indian owners have now decided to build the Defender in some far off place.

But has the original topic starter ordered his S3 yet? (just to get back on topic)

I'm a bit confused by this thread. These 2 cars are so very different, how is it possible to compare them? Depends what the OP wants from a car. For me, I wanted a car that had an element of practicality, but was also fun and could go like s**t off a shovel. I compared against cars like the Golf R and BMW 235 etc. S3 ticked every box for me. I would never have looked at a RR (nice as they are) in a million years.

Yes all I ordered the S3, read back a few posts and see my thoughts on the RR.

And they are similar if you want a high spec all wheel drive car that has 5 doors and good size boot! Ok one is higher than the other and one has more power, but for practicality they both tick many of the boxes I required in a car. The reason for the S3 is explained earlier in the post, oh and the 300bhp is a little bonus ;)

Unbelievable!

Think they made a bad move there

The freelander is oldddd now and I don't it ever shuck the reputation of the first gen freelander for being unreliable etc. I don't see many on the road either to be fair, I think the country set are much happier with defenders and discos and then the usual Chelsea tractors around town.

I'm not being biased, this is my opinion before I got an Audi..

RR Evoque is an ugly, pointless car that was designed by Victoria Beckham - yeah ok, like she did anything. Idiot designed the ugly rear on it most likely. Or designed one headlight and got a tonne of cash for it. The fact that you could own a car that had some involvement with her is an insult to the car and the owner :lmfao:

Anyway, I don't think that car is a real Land Rover at all tbh. My dad loves Land Rovers and says the same thing lol.

I would say S3, but keep your options open, as others have said - you could look at a Q3/Q5 - I won't tell my dad I said this as he'd tell me to say nothing is a real 4x4 accept a Land Rover, except from an Evoque obviously :p

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think the Evoque is one of the nicest looking SUV's in its bracket. The main competition being the Q3 or X2, both of them I find pretty bland looking.
Also, its a common misconception that it was designed by VB. the only input she had was a special edition one, not the original design.
Each to their own I say!

Any way, Lucas, you made the right decision. You'll not be disappointed........

Evoque l pesonally wouldnt even dream of getting one not my boggle,l worked on a Maclaren showroom next to a Bentley/Range Rover showroom..where Overfinch versions of all models where more in demand than vanilla... Range Rover's..Seen one Overfinch Evoque in a stunning Purple metallic paint with diamond cut 22" alloys and all the toys....it was something like £67,000 ... also l noticed Range Rovers in general depreciate very,very badly indeed

Reactions: naughts4187
Depreciation on the Evoque:

Top of the latest CAP list is the Porsche Cayenne diesel, which over three years will retain a stunning 73.8 per cent of its value.
It’s followed by the Range Rover Evoque five-door 2.2 eD4 which holds on to 68.8 per cent of its value new.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10734551/The-best-and-worst-cars-for-depreciation.html
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/slowest-depreciating-cars-motors-that-hold-their-value

"Range Rovers in general"

I rly like the evoque, pity the pano roof is fixed though, the face lifted version that's coming out looks v.nice too

End of the day the s3 and evoque are at the opposite ends of the spectrum

In 1 hand you have a daily driver that looks elegant in the city and with the new ingenium engines quite eco friendly

Or the s3 which is a performance car that happens to have room for the family but which isn't the best on fuel and you have to use 99ron rly!

Between the 2 in all honesty I think the evoque would get noticed and looked at more as it's different whereas the s3 looks pretty much like any other a3 but as things have moved on I prefer the interior of the s3

Between the 2 in all honesty I think the evoque would get noticed and looked at more as it's different whereas the s3 looks pretty much like any other a3 but as things have moved on I prefer the interior of the s3
I think that's the S3's charm that it's understated to those not in the know. I agree the new evoque subtitle changes should make it a great car.

If fitting in a stuff + passengers f into a car is a criteria - what about the S3 Sportback?

Personally I'd go S3 - more power, plus it looks better and classier (IMO).

I must be getting old, but I have to admit I like the Evoque, there is a candy metallic red one up the street and it looks really good, I would never buy one though...

I rly like the evoque, pity the pano roof is fixed though, the face lifted version that's coming out looks v.nice too

End of the day the s3 and evoque are at the opposite ends of the spectrum

In 1 hand you have a daily driver that looks elegant in the city and with the new ingenium engines quite eco friendly

Or the s3 which is a performance car that happens to have room for the family but which isn't the best on fuel and you have to use 99ron rly!

to average A N Other it may look like any other a3 but it's the enthusiast that I'm appealing to that gets the stares whilst I lip read what they're saying to their mate stood next to them....'look, new S3'

End of the day everyone's opinion is different and everyone's needs are different I like both the s3 and the evoque,

Reactions: Bensb93
hi all, not been here for a while as I sold my S3 a couple of years ago and got the wife an A1 and myself a TT black edition roadster. Anyhow I sold the TT and now getting just one car as I work from home so don't need one but the A1 is far too small for our main car.

I know this is an Audi forum so maybe a little bias but I cannot decide on brand new S3 SB or RR Evoque. The wife will drive it mainly 5 miles a day to work and back but I do all the driving at weekends etc, so love the power of the S3 and it ticks all the boxes for maybe a baby in the future. But the RR is very nice so I just can't decide, can I get your unbiased thoughts as you are all very helpful folks.

I call this problem a first world problem!!!!!
I sat in a loaded rr evoque. actually a really nice motor but its still an suv/4x4. I prefer the s3 as its a good all rounder and not too big. the rr is still quite big but very big inside and a MASSIVE dash. s3 boot is small so you will need to think about prams and kids stuff as the s3 wont do that

id get the s3 and get a 2nd family car if you need it or trade the s3 later for a family car. generally family cars and sports cars don't work or mix - its either one or the other

Im trading in my Evoque for an S3 SB.

The Evoque looks great.....but thats about all it has going for it.

Mines a mid 2014 pure tech and I am bored of it. Its poorly built using a lot of cheap plastics. The engine is noisy, the 9 speed auto is clunky. I want quality and performance....hopefully the S3 will provide this!

My Evoque was a 0 mile dealer pre reg and cost me £35k 8 months ago. Im getting £30k on trade in so have lost the vat in essence....not bad on a new car.

Its scratched an itch but has certainly put me off JLR products for life. Its difficult to describe the way that the cars are packed with the latest technology but its all very slow and unresponsive....almost as if its run by a pentium 2 processor!

I find it ASTOUNDING that people are paying £50k+ for the autobiography versions......I woukd cry every day if Id spent so much money on one....

Oh and contrary to whats mentioned earlier......the majority of Evoques DO use Haldex. Active driveline was only put on petrol versions recently......diesels all use the Haldex....so aint much different to your Audis!