Help - Replacing Headlight 8v

A4-SBlackEdition

Reaction score
Can anyone help. I have just had a warning that my passenger side headlight needs replacing. I have tried to get to the unit but cannot for the life of me

I removed 3 screws but the headlamp would still not pull out and I did not want to force it.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this I cannot find a how to guide anywhere

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
@TimWills28 has this video which should help you..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and A4-SBlackEdition
:fearscream: Are Audi having a laugh!? What a nightmare to change a bulb!

That guide is very helpful thank you. I will tackle it on the weekend I think.

Anyone have anymore tips on this job :tired:

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and TimWills28
:fearscream: Are Audi having a laugh!? What a nightmare to change a bulb!

That guide is very helpful thank you. I will tackle it on the weekend I think.

Anyone have anymore tips on this job :tired:

Someone has managed to do it with the car up on a lift and the whole inner wheel arch removed..stretch your hand in and do it...

If like me you don't have that luxury, then it's a 30minutes on 15 minutes off jobby

Reactions: Rob2k68, A4-SBlackEdition and pburv
I get most of the video just not too sure on how to access that screw under/behind the headlamp.

Reactions: TimWills28, pburv and Rob2k68
Actually, Elsawin calls for front wheel liner removal for bulb change. You might try removing just the front part of the liner and not the whole thing and see if you have enough space to access the back of the housing? I think it's easier this way...

Reactions: A4-SBlackEdition, pburv and Rob2k68
It always amuses me when I see a thread like this that you have to carry a bulb pack abroad as I'd love to see you try & change some of these bulbs at the side of the road, it's hard enough sometimes in a fully equipped workshop with the car in the air rofl !

Reactions: pburv
I get most of the video just not too sure on how to access that screw under/behind the headlamp.

Rachel and an extension... I only gained access to that screw after the bumper was off/partly removed as you have to get a straight angle to unscrew it obviously

Actually, Elsawin calls for front wheel liner removal for bulb change. You might try removing just the front part of the liner and not the whole thing and see if you have enough space to access the back of the housing? I think it's easier this way...

Most likely will defiantly try that method next...hoping that I don't have to though

It always amuses me when I see a thread like this that you have to carry a bulb pack abroad as I'd love to see you try & change some of these bulbs at the side of the road, it's hard enough sometimes in a fully equipped workshop with the car in the air rofl !

No one is a changing a xenon bulb on these cars at the side of the road I'll tell that now lol the 8V has gone too far lol

Reactions: A4-SBlackEdition and pburv
Having a nightmare doing this

Managed to gain access by removing the wheel arch liner and removed the old bulb and fitted new one. The problem I have is that I cannot get the clip to hold the bulb in place and after botching it on Saturday it came loose today so will need to strip the wheel arch liner again.

Any further tips?

Reactions: TimWills28
Can imagine how hard it could be that way, hence why I just took headlamp out completely, check my video as it explains how and what way the clip secures properly

Can imagine how hard it could be that way, hence why I just took headlamp out completely, check my video as it explains how and what way the clip secures properly

I did try the headlamp and wasted ages trying to access that screw in the back from the wheel arch but could not get enough space to loosen it.

I was watching your video and can manage to fasten the clip when there is no bulb in place but as soon as I fit the bulb its as if it does not latch on properly to the latch and just pops off with minimal pressure which is what happened today and has made it loose :crying:

I did try the headlamp and wasted ages trying to access that screw in the back from the wheel arch but could not get enough space to loosen it.

I was watching your video and can manage to fasten the clip when there is no bulb in place but as soon as I fit the bulb its as if it does not latch on properly to the latch and just pops off with minimal pressure which is what happened today and has made it loose :crying:

Had same problem, only issue I can assume is stopping you would be the seating of the bulb or that the clip is not around and down tight enough...if not it's a weekend jobby with the bumper off :(

Reactions: A4-SBlackEdition
Ye i think so just really annoying. I see on the bulb itself it has some grooves did you have to lign up the bulb in a particular way or just straight with the power clip right in the bottom?

The bumper screws at the front of mine seem ridiculous tight and wary of causing damage taking that off...

Ye i think so just really annoying. I see on the bulb itself it has some grooves did you have to lign up the bulb in a particular way or just straight with the power clip right in the bottom?

The bumper screws at the front of mine seem ridiculous tight and wary of causing damage taking that off...

Indeed, think it's audi way of sending car in for ££

I put bulb in same way I took dud out..as far as I can remember, they would be tight to remove but just need to be cracked loose, wheel liner out and extension should make job easier

Reactions: A4-SBlackEdition
I did not fully remove the liner just lostened all the torx. How does it come out completely?

Thanks for the advice btw

Managed this today. Ended up having to take a few more screws out to get clear access to wheel arch lining. Huge thanks TimWills28 for doing the how to video :yes:

Reactions: pburv and TimWills28
Take it to Halfords, they only charge a couple of quid for changing a lamp!