Help! Rear right light bulb warning light always comes on brake light warning light

AshleyD123

Reaction score
Rear rught light warning light comes on pretty much everytime I get in the car and also the brake light warning light comes on everytime also... Any ideas what this could be?
All lights are fine I checked and I haven't changed any bulbs, they are all standard as I bought thr car few weeks ago

The car is
Audi A3 2.0 TDI SE Automatic 2009

Bad connection / bad earth . I would start just by checking & cleaning all connections & bulb holders. A squirt of WD40 might help whilst your at it !!

What should I clean it with? And is there any how to guide on this? I'm terrible with electrics lol

cheers mate

Take the bulbs out of the holders clean with a cloth & WD40, dirtier / corroded connections clean with fine wet & dry.
Check the earth connections , clean with fine wet & dry , when you have replaced them smear with a bit of grease to protect & help keep moisture out. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the fuses for corrosion as well, just basically scuff up connections with fine wet & dry. Spray a bit of WD40
around when finished. I'm only guessing that this is the problem but a good clean up certainly won't hurt & could end up being a cheap fix.

Okay cheers mate I will give that a try, I do have my engine managment light and emission light on aswell so I'm hoping it is all just the electrics playing up and nothing serious

Replace the offending bulb as it may be defective even though it works. Having the other warning lights on does mean something else needs attention. You need to have the car scanned pronto or could soon lead to a serious and expensive breakdown.
There are plenty of VAG independent garages around who can diagnose this for you.

Hey Soot, I'm sure you were on my previous post about my engine lights coming on? If you don't remember basically I had the car scanned and it came back with 19 faults so he wiped all of the codes for me as he thought some of them might have already been fixed. He then told me if any come back on to go back down and see him but I've noticed these brake and rear warning lights came on first, following day my engine managment light started flashing followed hy the emission light coming on.

I driven the car about 400 miles since leaving the garage and the car seems to drive fine so I find it strange hoe it only now has come back on?

I also did notice when I came home after a 200+ trip the fan after switching the car off was really loud possibly a fan sound, so not sure if that is normal or could link with the warning lights

Hey Soot, I'm sure you were on my previous post about my engine lights coming on? If you don't remember basically I had the car scanned and it came back with 19 faults so he wiped all of the codes for me as he thought some of them might have already been fixed. He then told me if any come back on to go back down and see him but I've noticed these brake and rear warning lights came on first, following day my engine managment light started flashing followed hy the emission light coming on.

I driven the car about 400 miles since leaving the garage and the car seems to drive fine so I find it strange hoe it only now has come back on?

I also did notice when I came home after a 200+ trip the fan after switching the car off was really loud possibly a fan sound, so not sure if that is normal or could link with the warning lights

If the engine management light is flashing I personally wouldn't drive the car around like its okay, the EML light is telling you something is wrong, so regardless of if the car feels fine to drive it isn't lol best thing to do is get it scanned again, by now the re offending problems will show up or as @Soot1 said, you might end up with a more expensive fix later down the road

Last edited:
As the garage tech says, go back to him for another scan. If the same fault codes show up as before then this is what the real problem is.
Rad fan will run on after the engine is switched off as it was hot after your long run. Brake lights should be easily sorted.

Reactions: Mujnu
So... I've been to the garage today for a scan and 5 fault codes have come up regarding the engine. The car is going into the garage on the 1st for a better look in detail but can anyone tell me anything about these fault codes? He said they are more.or less sensors but anyone. know anything more.about these?

20160321 193850