Help!!!! Problems with 1.8t

pacman1.8t

Reaction score
i have just yesterday bought a 98 model a3 1.8t. i got it for an absolute bargain and it needs work. driving it about it seems to be lacking alot of power, but u can feel the turbo trying to kick in. its almost as if its being starved of oxygen. when i pull of in 1st it pulls but not like it should (have been in a friends) 2nds the same but 3rds alot worse. also when i pull up after driving it, its smells a little but i cant work out of what? iv searched through this forum and found that it may be something to do with a 'maff' sensor??? iv disconnected it and its not much better. any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks

oh and does anyone no of any vag-com places around colchester? :think:

Being a 98 model I expect the engine is an AGU?

Do the usual checks to start with mate, smoke from the exhaust? Check oil and water for contamination to check for head gasket failure.

Check all the turbo pipework for obvious leaks etc.

Other than that matey, you need to get it on VAG COM to find out what's going on. Quickest and easiest method of finding issues with the car! Someone around there might help you out, or you could get an eBay VAG COM cable, and there shareware version of the software. You can check for engine fault codes using this and at least you will know whats going on. A tenner well spent: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-D...s_Equipment?hash=item4ced5b44c6#ht_3727wt_939

Is there any way in particular to check for leaks or oil contamination? vag-com is on its way and i did hear somewhere obout the ignition control module, would that show on the diagnostics maybe??

It should do - sounds to me like and engine problem though to be honest - could be a lot of things sensor wise.

Well, white sludge in the header tank and under the oil cap is a good indicator.

may be something to do with a 'maff' sensor??

Just so you know dude, the MAF sensor is the Mass Air Flow sensor. AKA AFM.

This is the device on the engine which tell the ECU how much air is being pulled into it, so that it can fuel accordingly. This makes it a VERY important thing. More so on the earlier engines like the AGU as the entire fuelling map is based on the air flow values.

They are common for packing in - VAG COM may or my not show this, it seems to vary. I had a MAF not working properly on my AGU and VAG COM didn't tell me (mainly because it was working, just not giving the right values).

So thats the oil and water leaks checked and all seems okay but i did however notice a damp patch on the front of the engine..... maybe a leaky gasket? And i think im gonna have to wait till the vag-com gets here to check the MAF sensor because i unplugged it to see if there was any difference but there wasnt, if all else fails il just have to buy a new one i think and see if that works. thanks for the advice