Help!! Possible steering fault????

Rikjames

Reaction score
Have noticed this everytime I drive my car after it's been sitting overnight or after work when it's cold, on a long swooping corner leaving work the steering feels notchy, as like when I'm holding the steering wheel to one side slightly when going round corner at steady speed an move it slightly it's like twitching or sticking if you can understand what I mean. Has anyone else had this problem? Possible steering rack fault!??

Anyone help as to the cure for this from audi, as seeing mixed messages of what cures it online, steering rack, later calibrations, steering angle sensor? Tho I do think it's the steering rack fault.

Flat spots on your tyres after sitting idle?

Sent from my Brain via my Keyboard

Nobdef not as it's the steering like havin mind of it's own, an stays stuck then when try an move to take it outta notchy position ur all over the road, car actually fish taled a bit the day when it done it while goin round long steady left corner the day at bout 50mph but isn't good ****** dangerous!!! Noticing it more so when the car is cold.

Have noticed this everytime I drive my car after it's been sitting overnight or after work when it's cold, on a long swooping corner leaving work the steering feels notchy, as like when I'm holding the steering wheel to one side slightly when going round corner at steady speed an move it slightly it's like twitching or sticking if you can understand what I mean. Has anyone else had this problem? Possible steering rack fault!??

I know what you mean, mine used to do it. I found a change you could make in VCDS which made it a bit better.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-correction-notchy.246279/

See post 15 in this thread, I posted back the results.

Reactions: Rikjames
Thanks for reply, I'm not goin to do anythin to it myself as the car has 1 year used approved warranty on it so it's goin back to audi with phone call this morning, only had the car a month flip sake!! 2nd time it'll have to go back as first time was lacquer peel on rear bumper. Seen quite a lot of ppl complaining about it so if it needs new parts (later spec steering rack an software update) then they'll be fitting them!!

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/power-steering-problems-on-the-b8.166624/
Sounds like it may be related to an issue with the rack. Very complex systems these days compared with cars of old.
Hopefully there are some faults codes present to highlight an issue. I would leave it with Audi for an extended period so they can see the fault for themselves. It may be that you are loosing power steering assistance completely, without this the steering is super heavy.

Update....So spoke to audi the day an they said if I'm booking car in it would be this time nxt month before they could offer me a courtesy car!! Said to try audi roadside assistance and if they deem the car not safe to drive then they'll sort me out with a car (god knows what I'd end up with), and if they can't fault the car I'll just have to book it in normally an wait for courtesy car. Frustrated is an understatement so might phone roadside assistance and see wat they say!!

I've been in the trade for 15 years so know it's most likely the rack that's the fault as I've replaced plenty on Mazda 6's for the same type of fault. So when the receptionist tried to tell me she's never heard of it and not to believe what I've heard bout the fault and online audi forum I near laughed down the phone at her!!