Help - Possible Alternator Issue?

Scottish_Geezer

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently about a 2006 A6 2.0TDI and twice in the last week it's had a particular issue - I've done loads of looking around and finally came to the belief it might be an alternator issue, but wondered if it sounds familiar to anyone.

Tonight I was driving along at about 60 mph using the cruise control when I noticed the headlights briefly go slightly dim - at the same time, the dash lights also appeared to get marginally duller, albeit only for 5-10 seconds. They then came back to their 'normal' level before the headlights and dash lights died completely for about 5 seconds. I was then presented with an "Overcharging" error as well as ESP and ABS faults (possibly EPB fault too, but it happened all so quickly), before the headlights and dashboard lit back up again and the faults cleared.

Additionally, it sounds to me that the starter motor isn't turning over very well (like it's struggling) but that's not always the case. Sometimes it's better than others. I've also found times when I turn the key and there's a hesitancy before the starter motor actually kicks in (maybe a second or less), but it's definitely there (again, albeit not all the time).

Interestingly, the battery is nearly brand new and is showing as 100% charge on the onboard display, but I suspect now the new battery may have been the previous owner trying to fix the fault and incorrectly assuming it was related.

At first I thought it was an ABS sensor but after the fault happened tonight in the dark I could see the lights going dim first, then dying completely, before the ESP fault was thrown. This makes me think it's an alternator issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Could it be a battery coding issue? Battery is a Halfords HB019 and I can't see a BEM code on it. Is a BEM code needed on a 2006 A6? If so and the battery was changed without being coded, what would/could happen?

I suspect the previous owner has changed the battery himself so if coding is required then possible it may not have been done.