help pls pc cd/dvd drive problem

Reaction score
well my dad tried to back up his holaday photos and he gets burn errors.

I tried and the dvd drive gives write error and the cd writer gives a scsi command aborted.

the dvd is the master and the cd one the slave both on a ide cable. both read discs ok but fail on writing.

I had a problem when i installed the dvd drive last year wher it wouldn`t see any drives and after playing I suspected a dry joint but it suddenly came to life.

Ive swapped the ide sockets with the hard drive then swapped the cables over from the HD to the writers.

I still suspect the mother board possable crack or dry joint ????

anyone else sugest anything please before I waste some money on a new mother board

hm weird, might be worth trying a new dvd writer, 20 quid is better than 80 quid + for a mobo

Have you tried slowing down the writing speed of the DVD writer? Try writing a little bit of data but at the drives slowest speed to see if the writing errors disappear. It could be that you have a duff batch of DVD discs or the discs are unable to cope with the (stated?) writing speed.

Have you tried uninstalling the Windows drivers with device manager and then let windows re-install them?

If you have XP or Vista have you tried the windows rollback feature? Might be worth rolling back to a time when you knew the drives were working.

thanks for the replys, I eventually tried a dvd drive out of one of my pcs and its burn`t 3 discs with no problems.

so I put my dads dvd drive in my pc and got another write error.

I think this is the first time this drive has been used for burning and its only 3 months old so it will be going back for a exchange.

initially when I installed it the pc wouldn`t see a drive at all so put the cd drive back in and it wouldn`t see that either eventually it saw them and they worked no problem. thats why I was thinking motherboard but doesn`t look like it now.