HELP!!! please

vicio420

Reaction score
hi everyone im new here, sorry for my wrigthing im from mexico :p, im having some issues with my a4 b6 1.8t, ive had the abs and esp light on interminent for some time, sometimes there on and sometimes off, but mostly on, i do have slim ballast hids with canbus, so i dont think that's the problem, i took it to the shop and they did a purge on the brakes and changed some sensors but still getting the same issue, and they cant seem to tell me whats wrong, ive also noticed that some times wen i use the brake and the lights are off something snaps o pops on the pedal and the lights come on, but i am able to brake with no issues, any ideas?

Unplug your hid kit and see if the problem goes away.

I have my balasts mounted as far back in the engine bay as possible.

When I first installed them I got the same warning lights you are experiencing. The interference from the ballasts interferes with the crash sensors mounted in the front bumper near the radiator. If the ballasts are mounted remotely close them they cause "BRAKE", ABS AND ESP lights to illuminate.

Also a faulty brake light switch on the back of the brake pedal also gives the ABS & ESP warning lights. Its a cheap fix around £15 from audi. A diagnostic scan will reveal the faulty brake light switch

ok thanks man, well the driver side balast is mounted on the braket where the car holds the wires for the lights, and in case that's the issue i would have to remove them or if i decide to leave it like that, what tipe off problems could i have, and also my mechanic just told me he thinks its the abs module but since thats a bit expensive ill try your solutio first, but then again if its just the annoying lights then ill leave it like it is.

Hope you get it sorted mate

Here are where my ballast are located

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Last edited:
that's exactly how i have them, except that the one on the driver side is nailed to the free space on the midle of the wires and the other part i forgot the name of. so that means there fine right.

Yeh hopefully that should limit the chance of them causing any interference.
To me it sounds like you have a failing brake light switch on the back of the brake pedal especially as you can here a noise when its pressed.

Did they replace this when they changed some sensors?

Well looks like its the module cuz the tried hiting it a little and the lights came off and after a while they came back on and so on, so looks like im screwd ill need a new module, but thanks for the advised do.