help please tell me its not what I think?

Paradox1

Reaction score
Ok so driving last night and noticed that 5th gear feels very soppy,normally these gearboxes feel smooth and direct on gear change. In 5th if feels soft. Anyone else had this? Please tell me its not the box!

lol joker

Its only 5th gear but doesnt happen all the time. only noticed it yesterday. sometimes it will go in as normal. other time it feels like im pushing on a cloth rather than a gear. really strange to explain it just doesnt feel right. normally all gears on these car feel sturdy and slotted but it just feels soft. somethings not right.

lol joker

Its only 5th gear but doesnt happen all the time. only noticed it yesterday. sometimes it will go in as normal. other time it feels like im pushing on a cloth rather than a gear. really strange to explain it just doesnt feel right. normally all gears on these car feel sturdy and slotted but it just feels soft. somethings not right.

Do you have a short shifter fitted? Was wondering if you could adjust it slightly to see if it improves the movement.

Nope all standard. then again correct me if im wrong but didnt AUM have different shifters to the AGU's? I was told the AUM shifter was an upgrade for the AGU? thats just what ive heard though

Nope all standard. then again correct me if im wrong but didnt AUM have different shifters to the AGU's? I was told the AUM shifter was an upgrade for the AGU? thats just what ive heard though

I haven't got a clue about those engines so cant really comment. I suppose that if it was the shifting gear it would be effecting all gears. I'm not sure there's too much you can do unless the box fails. You dont want to be spending silly money refurbing boxes if it's not the cause of the problem.

Depends on the age Marty, early AGUs had a really crap shifter like mine did, I upgraded to the later ones. Later AGUs had these from new though. What year is your car?

On the whole, cars with 100mm drive flanges had the older style 02A type shifter (although it's an 02J box), later cars with 108mm flanges usually have tHe newer style shifter.

yeah I hear you. mines a 5 speed box if that helps. I'll pop the bonnet and have a look at the shifter (really know what im looking for but if anything isnt connect properly it could be the problem.) I know VAG say you dont need to change geabbox oil but my car is now over 100k. would it be worth putting fresh oil in there? is this a diy jobe to do?

They're all 5 speed mate.

Driveshaft flange size, or a picture of the shift tower where the cables attach will determine what type it is.

Just a simple one to check look down the void between the airbox and block, you will see the top of the gearbox, there is a lever coming out of it, make sure nothing is obstructing it, I had similes problem after fitting a second induction pipe to the air box, the pipe was obstructing movement only in 3rd and 5th, I moved the pipe and tied it, been fine since :)

Sorry Nick, I sent that before I realised you replied. my car is 52 reg, i'll get a picture of the shift tower for you.

Just as were are on the subject of gearbox, what oil do I need if i were to change it?