Help please, S3 or RS3?

Have you seen the running costs of those....
They may well be cheaper and faster than a 911 but servicing is more frequent and more costly as are consumables like brakes and tyres.......

Lol no mate, unless you're thrasing it everyday and taking it to a race track. You should be fine.

hmm. £1500 for front discs n pads only 500 for each tyre??

Dude you're having me on surely...what are they gold plated?

When I looked into M3 v S3 running costs I reckon the first year would have been 8-10K more costly to run the M3, tyres, run-in service, fuel, payments, insurance....Basically thats 12-14K out of your gross salary!!Ok, the M3 is a fantastic thing but the S3 is great bang for buck by comparison.
Yes....and a Stg4 S3 will make the M3 owner wonder what's going on....

Reactions: Kelza
Yes....and a Stg4 S3 will make the M3 owner wonder what's going on....

Doubt it would see a thing, the M3 would probably be facing the other way on the wrong side of the road!

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
Have you considered a TTRS? You get the 5 pot engine, the sound, the performance and the looks! The only thing it lacks is the practicality of an S3.

Have you considered a TTRS? You get the 5 pot engine, the sound, the performance and the looks! The only thing it lacks is the practicality of an S3.
Very nice car,and some good developments on the way for the engine,so watch that space.
Personally,I still need the practicality of the hatchback,but as you say,that aside,it's a great car.

the RS3 without a doubt it's massive flared arches and wider track set it apart from the A3/S3 giving it much more road presence........

what do you mean they tweeked the front wings! :motz:

the RS3 without a doubt it's massive flared arches and wider track set it apart from the A3/S3 giving it much more road presence........ what do you mean they tweeked the front wings! :motz:
It's funny what a bit of styling will do......the RS3 is actually only 3cms wider at it's widest point,and 4cms wider in front track(2cms wider at the rear),but it does look wider than that thanks to the styling.

and it would look even wider if they had done a propper job
Looks fine as it is.....understated mostly,but like the S3,it needs a LOT more power.

Hilarious anti-BMW sentiment in this thread, but fast Datsuns are ok?
Any fast,good handling car is OK,and while I don't want one,some of the M series cars are superb,but I wouldn't refuse a GTR.
The last M5(the V10) was just such a wonderfully bonkers machine as well as truly quick,that you can't help but admire it.

Any fast,good handling car is OK,and while I don't want one,some of the M series cars are superb,but I wouldn't refuse a GTR.
The last M5(the V10) was just such a wonderfully bonkers machine as well as truly quick,that you can't help but admire it.

I actually really fancy a GTR after the S3, amazing cars. I just thought the BM bashing was funny. I agree on the old M5, also reasonably priced now too!

I actually really fancy a GTR after the S3, amazing cars. I just thought the BM bashing was funny. I agree on the old M5, also reasonably priced now too!
Not sure I'd go out and buy one,the GTR that is,as it's one big car and not really my style,but who knows.....
The old M5 was the product of some really unleashed thinking down in Munich,and you have to applaud someone for unleashing a 5L V10 with fuel prices as they were,but you do get a huge amount of car for your cash second hand......you also need every penny you've saved on the deal to feed the thing with.

RS cars arnt ment to look understated, the RS3 should have been fat with a 500bhp twin turbo 3.2 v6
Maybe
the new one will be....

Reactions: 45bvtc
I had an S3 back in 2008 and changed to a Focus RS MK2 (Big mistake) Had it for 2 months then changed for E92 M3 Coupe.

The M3 is a lovely car but as said the running costs are huge hence the reason for me selling it. I have had a lot of cars and have now gone full circle as for me the S3 was the most well rounded package i have ever owned that's why I am looking to get another. Mine had the Revo chip and felt pleanty quick enough while keeping its everyday usability and reasonable fuel conumption / servicing costs etc.

I test drove an Audi RS3 yesterday and while it felt a lovely car something was just missing for me. Don't know if it was the S Tronic box as my previous S3 was manual or it was the fact that it was £10,000 more than an S3 and I was maybe thinking I cannot justify this cost as in my opinion it is not worth that amount more money over an S3. Again this has made me realise how good an S3 actually is.

Reactions: KentKid
Having had a stage 2+ S3 and now and RS3 I have to say they are in a different league. For me the SB only option was a hurdle - now I dont care. My RS is standard at the moment but I can see just a stage 1 re map on the cards for circa 400 bhp :)

My last S3 had
uprated ARB's
Coil overs
short shift kit
upgraded heldax
ITG filter
APR fuel pump
RS4 fuel rail
Uprated clutch and flywheel
Turbo back miltek

This was a little more level and natural handling than the RS but was far from a std car. I'd put money on the fact that A - B there wouldn’t be much in them however I'd rather in in the RS every time. The shove away from a stand still is seriously addictive.

RS is dominated by superb engine, gearbox drive train - Everything else pale sin to insignificance If cost is not an issue the RS3 is the best choice IHMO.

Reactions: Kelza
I'm guessing the original poster has made his decision by now, but still an interesting discussion.

I've had a new 2012 S3 and i now have a second hand 2012 RS3, so i think i'm qualified to comment.

The S3 was standard, and i have to say an excellent car. Great performance and sounded great too. What do i get now with the RS3?

Superb performance, exceptional engine and sounds brilliant. Exclusive interior with buckets. Upgrade monster vented disks and pads (ignore the squeaking issue).

No contest really! Oh and it doesn't hurt having something that is considered a rare car (only 750).

If you just don't have the money for an RS, then a S3 is a good second choice. But it always would have been a second choice until i discovered funds that made the RS possible.

Reactions: robbiemac