Help please. Lost key to audi A3 3rd gen 8V chassis

sammyvan28

Reaction score
Hi

I travelled to London on the train and lost my one and only set of key today. My car is an Audi A3 2012, 3rd gen 8V chassis. Only realised when I came back to Leeds train station.

Dealer says it will take 7-10 working days to get a replacement key from Germany and I would need to get the car to them to get it programmed. I didn't manage to get a price because the Parts department was closed but I fear it's going to cost a small fortune.

To top it off, the car is stranded at the station multi storey car park and I will have to pay additional charges during this time unless I can get a discounted rate. Plus I not sure if a recovery vehicle will be able to lift my car up given the limited ceiling height (there obviously will be cost for recovery also).

I am beyond stuck up a river without a paddle. Does anybody know anyone who can supply and programme a new key for my car? Ringing around auto locksmith it seems that most cannot do the 8V chassis which leaves me stuck with the dealer.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

No third party can make keys for this vehicle as yet due to the IMMO process. Keys need to be ordered from Audi and then coded via a dealership or authorised 3rd party (like myself). Keys take up to 10 working days to arrive once ordered. Secondhand keys cannot be recoded.

You are in a bit of a pickle there, not really sure what to suggest other than to get a key ordered up fast. I would then look at getting the car recovered. Its really easy to open an 8V, any locksmith should be able to do it. Getting it on the back of a truck is another thing however...

Reactions: sammyvan28
Just had a thought - what about your breakdown recovery service (eg AA). Could you call them out?

Thanks for the replies. Moral of the story is to always make a spare key if you don't already have one. I bought the car with only 1 key but never bothered thinking about getting another because I had never lost any previous keys.

I'll ring the dealer's parts department tomorrow and get the key ordered asap and worry about how to tow the car at a later date. Although I guess it would be a similar price if I got a mobile auto locksmith to programme the key (assuming they could do it once I got the key from the dealer) so this might be a better option.

This is such a nightmare. If only I could turn back time.

This not cover under your car insurance if you loose your keys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sammyvan28 and quattrorally
Thanks for the breakdown cover advice. I'm with autoaid and it looks like they cover breakdown recovery for lost keys from reading their policy booklet.

I'll ask the dealers tomorrow if I can store my car at theirs whilst I wait for the key and then arrange it with autoaid - I hope they can recover the car from the multi storey though cos of the limited head height and space.

This seems to be the plan then at the moment but I'm scared of the key replacement and programming cost - which I will find out tomorrow.

Not much help... just do what the car thieves do and hack the OBD port...

In seriousness... really sorry to hear this and hope your insurance can bail you out.

im guessing the carpark will be too tight to tow out with these under the wheels and a tow bar on back of another car? Even then im not sure a bar would make steering possible.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pr...MI5dPbiKnV4QIVTb7tCh0qXwlUEAQYBSABEgJq3PD_BwE

its a tricky one for sure.
Those wheel dollies look like they will fit under the car actually. Hopefully the tow company have similar things because other people must have been in a similar position to me.

I can't be the only one to have a stranded car without a key in a multi storey car park. Time will tell.

As others have said really unfortunate situation but a company should definitely be able to tow/recover from a multi storey car park.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the additonal towing information. I shall make sure to mention some wheel jacks or dollies are required to take the car out of the multi storey before it can be lifted. It's going to be a nerve wracking taking it down the twisty ramps though!

im guessing the carpark will be too tight to tow out with these under the wheels and a tow bar on back of another car? Even then im not sure a bar would make steering possible.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pr...MI5dPbiKnV4QIVTb7tCh0qXwlUEAQYBSABEgJq3PD_BwE

its a tricky one for sure.

Car wranglers use dollys similar to these to move cars around on set, the really cool ones turn the car 90 degrees so they go through doors :blink:

They use these pink ones

S l300

zendextool.com/gojak-2/

I'm sure this must be a common problem nowadays .... there must be a simple solution

Just checked my car insurance policy and it covers me for lost keys. However, my excess is £400 so if the replacement keys are similar to this price there is no point in me claiming. Especially if my premium shoots up next year.

Just checked my car insurance policy and it covers me for lost keys. However, my excess is £400 so if the replacement keys are similar to this price there is no point in me claiming. Especially if my premium shoots up next year.

Reckon £250-300 for a key then another £200 for a tow so marginal difference. However if you get 2 keys off insurance it might be worth it.
As this is not an accident claim your premiums shouldn’t go up that much for a claim.

I would be asking between £200 and £300 for a single Audi OEM genuine Key. A mobile locksmith would charge more.

Thanks for the guide prices. I'll let you know the price for a key and coding once I know so people are informed.

I had a spare key sorted via the AA through a 3 party company. The key was a genuine audi from germany and they programmed it and removed the missing key. I didnt pay as thru insurance but i saw the bill and it was £250.

Thanks for all the useful info.

I have managed to get the car recovered now. To do this a 'blank' key had to be cut to allow entry into the car and allow the steering lock and electronic brake to be disabled (key turns in the ignition but cannot start the car). The car was then pushed down the multi storey car park where it could the be put on a flat bed tow truck. The 'blank' key cost £114 to cut.

A new coded key cost £260 from the dealer. I shall be making a spare one from a third party once I receive the key from Audi. I however have 7-10 days wait but at least I was able to store the car at the dealers.

Thanks again for the advice given and don't let this happen to you - get a spare key cut from a third party if you don't already have one!

Reactions: RAF_S7, Adam14, jrumball and 1 other person