Help please - Dash cluster and head unit say Safe

Bugeye_bob

Reaction score
So like a pillock I decided to remove the dash cluster as it was full of dust, I removed it and cleaned it out but now the car wont start and both the HU and cluster say SAFE, I have disconnected the battery and tried turning it on a few times, but nothing,
Can anyone shed some light on this please, I didnt start the car while it was out or anything, I have rechecked the two multi plugs as well,
I have access to VCDS, but unsure where to start with this issue.
TIA

Just do a scan of instruments and radio see what comes up.
If they are original to the car it should say "learn" then it should be back to normal.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
I did to get the plastic front off to get the dust out, the torx screws, I didnt take it fully apart,
They are both the OE parts, nothing changed, just this idiot thought it would be an easy job to just clean the dust out,
I will try what Calum suggested, many thanks for the help and I will report back in the daylight.

Safe would indicate immo issue on cluster, check connections on the cluster.

I took my cluster out to replace the warning chime speaker. IIRC there are two separate plugs into the cluster. I do absolutely remember that these have to be reconnected in the correct order -because I got it the wrong way around the first time, which rewarded me with SAFE.

Since there are only two you can only reconnect in one of two ways; A then B, or B then A.

It could be that you disrupted the connection, and when it reconnected (or didn't reconnect at all...) it did so the wrong way around.

If you take it out fully and reconnect (both ways if required) I'm sure it will come back to life.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
I took my cluster out to replace the warning chime speaker. IIRC there are two separate plugs into the cluster. I do absolutely remember that these have to be reconnected in the correct order -because I got it the wrong way around the first time, which rewarded me with SAFE.

Since there are only two you can only reconnect in one of two ways; A then B, or B then A.

It could be that you disrupted the connection, and when it reconnected (or didn't reconnect at all...) it did so the wrong way around.

If you take it out fully and reconnect (both ways if required) I'm sure it will come back to life.

Nice one, I did the one on the right first as it was the tightest, and the left hand second, so maybe worth a punt, at least I have 2 things to try,
thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: QuattroCalum

Sir if we ever cross paths I owe you drink,
It only blooming worked!
Left plug first, then the right plug, my odometer came up and the radio came on with no keys in, i thought oh no, but no SAFE, so turned the ignition on and off and the odometer was fine, car started adn I did a happy jig,

Now all I have to do is get the N/S door to lock on my old work Avant,

Thanks for the VCDS suggestion, but I couldnt find a learn button in either of the radio or immobiliser controllers, and couldnt see one that had both in,

Im still gob smacked that the plug order matters.

Reactions: Manics
Good to hear manics had the solution for you.
The "learn" it's not on VCDS but on the radio, that would come up after "safe" then it would work.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk