HELP PLEASE! car has been parked up for nearly 7 months and I battery is flat , charge or buy new

ammo-mcr

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have been away on work for 7 months and came back to my car and the battery is flat , I’ve had it jump started it fired up managed to get home which was only 2 mins away and parked it up. Few hours later tried to start it again and it’s completely flat no interior lights on etc

I am wondering do I go and buy a new battery approx £170-£230 which will take approx 2 days delivery or should I buy a battery charger and charge it?
The battery in the car was working perfectly no problems before I left it 7 months ago always started first time , I’m wondering just a simple charge could fix it or once it’s flat is it time to buy a new one?

If yes to charging can I remove the battery from the car or does that mess up all the memory Ecu etc and have it charging while it’s connected to the car instead ?

thank you in advance

I'd grab a CTEK charger and leave it on for at least 24 hours. I would try that before buying a new battery and even if the battery is dead its still handy to have. I think its just flat and a 2 min drive isnt enough to put any meaningful charge into the battery

Reactions: KenL and ammo-mcr
Jump start it again and go for a longer drive to put more charge in it, as said 2 min not nearly enough time.

I'd grab a CTEK charger and leave it on for at least 24 hours. I would try that before buying a new battery and even if the battery is dead its still handy to have. I think its just flat and a 2 min drive isnt enough to put any meaningful charge into the battery

Sounds like a good idea, if I remove battery from the car will it mess up all the memory on the ecu etc , I’ve read somewhere you shouldn’t take a battery and rather charge it while it’s still connected to the car? But I’m thinking it’s flat what difference does it make...

I agree. Stick it on a charger for a good while, until you have it taxed etc. Then drive it.
I certainly wouldn’t remove the battery at this stage - why would you?

Reactions: ammo-mcr
Yep, as others have mentioned try a ctek charger. They are brilliant.

Also, I did recently but a nimh 20000ma battery starter via Amazon , but it was from China and clearly hadn't been tested in the uk or eu. No thanks, so returned it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good idea, if I remove battery from the car will it mess up all the memory on the ecu etc , I’ve read somewhere you shouldn’t take a battery and rather charge it while it’s still connected to the car? But I’m thinking it’s flat what difference does it make...
You dont need to remove the car battery. Just attach the clamps on the correct terminal plus minus. Plug in the charger, set it to correct full charge setting. Connect the cables to the charget. Leave it 4 or 5 hours and it should be fully charged.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ctek 100% is your way forward, brings batteries back to life, get the 8 step version.

Definitely remove the car terminals if charging in place as it goes up to 14.5 volts & some car systems don't appreciate that at all, I always without fail disconnect the car when charging.

It will take longer than 5 hours, always let it do the full charge steps as it truly helps prelong.

Reactions: alpesh26
Ctek 100% is your way forward, brings batteries back to life, get the 8 step version.

Definitely remove the car terminals if charging in place as it goes up to 14.5 volts & some car systems don't appreciate that at all, I always without fail disconnect the car when charging.

It will take longer than 5 hours, always let it do the full charge steps as it truly helps prelong.

If I remove the terminals would that be like I have took the battery out the car? Will it affect anything on the car ecu or memory etc ?
I’m thinking even though it’s a little bit extra work I’d rather take it out charge it indoors where it’s dry If it’s safe to do so as it’s raining bad where I am plus I don’t have outdoor power socket unless I get extensions leads through the window and out.
Thanks for the heads up on the 8 step ctek charger.

Take indoors, it'll be fine, just of course remember the cars unlocked overnight.

Take indoors, it'll be fine, just of course remember the cars unlocked overnight.
Will using the key manually not lock the car?

The alarm may trigger if locked & battery removed, I leave unlocked & battery out or disconnect in place & charge.

If drivers door has a manual barrel, yes but of course not the others as no power.

Reactions: ammo-mcr and Alistair D