Help!! Outer cv boot removal.

s15rpy

Reaction score
Can someone plz tell me how to get the outer cv joint off the driveshaft. I have the driveshaft off the car and been hitting it with a soft faced hammer but it won't budge. Is there a certain way or place it need to be hit. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is usually a clip similar to a circlip holding the cv to the drive shaft, if you clean the grease off the cv you should see it, you will need to open the clip up with a screwdriver then tap the cv off the driveshaft

its a snap ring and its hidden inside the joint.

Put the shaft in a vice, with the joint angled downwards, get a lump of metal, i use a blunt cold chisel, and place it against the inner most part of the CV (theres the outer shell, a cage with some balls, then an inner hub) and give it a good hard smack and it should pop off. Have someone handy to catch the joint.

Mashing randomly at it with a soft hammer wont do anything. The impact all needs to go into the inner hub, at as shallow an angle as possible, and it needs to be a sharp, hard, hit.

You can buy a complete new driveshaft from eBay for £40.

Yes they do seem cheap, but a few people on here have fitted them with no issues, they are guaranteed for two years.

You could always use a stretch boot, then you won't have to remove the cv.

I've seen a lot of bad reviews about they stretch boots that put me off getting one and I've tried the ones you glue together in the past n they have been shocking lol. I only use the s3 at weekends or good weather so it's not a problem being off the road for a few days till I figure out how to do this. I appreciate all the help tho. Thank .

Can't say I've ever had a problem with them, as I've used them on several cars without issues, obviously the genuine article will always be best if you have the time and inclination.

i will be doing this today i think as the hub bolt snapped clean in half yesterday :(
not sure weather to drill the old bolt out or just buy a new cv, are they a pain to change

could someone please tell me the torque setting for this bolt as could only find a setting on the list for the tt quattro, kind regards

could someone please tell me the torque setting for this bolt as could only find a setting on the list for the tt quattro, kind regards

I think you should start a new thread with this question. Some other person could have the exact same problem who needs a solution.