Help on clunk noise

perry30sport

Reaction score
hi my 2004 Quattro sport has started to make a slight clunk when initial pull away at low speed in first gear. Feels n sounds like from rear.

Any ideas guys???

Snub mount on front of engine or gearbox mount, keep your hand on the gearstick as you pull off and see if the stick moves with the clunk

Stick doesn't move with it. Definitely feels n sounds like rear end. Got slight vibration too. Wonder if rear driveshaft maybe?

check your discs and pads, shoes

Sorry to hi jack but if the gear stick does move when accelerating does that suggest snub mount?

I've just done my gearbox mount at a cost of £40, and it only takes about an hour.

There are only 11 nuts/bolts to remove once the rear under tray is off.

I did a how to on it if you would like me to post it up?

Reactions: BakPak
That would be awesome if you could now I know that it's not an internal gearbox thing then it's bugging me.

It's hidden away behind the rear under tray so that has to come off first, then you can see it sat sat in the gearbox support bracket.

Now it's time to prop the gearbox up with a block of wood on your jack so it doesn't slap you upside your head halfway through the next step.

The gearbox support bracket is removed by undoing the three 18mm bolts at either end. If you take note you can see where I've been laying frame.................
on speed bumps

Once these six bolts are out there are two 13mm bolts to undo on the mount. I forgot to take a picture at this point as I was in the zone, but I've circled them (poorly) in this picture.

Once they're out the bracket can be pulled down to pop it off of the mount, and slid backwards out of the way along the exhaust.

Once that's moved there are three 13mm bolts holding the mount to the box itself. Again I was in the zone and had removed two of them before taking the photo, but you can see where they were.

It was at this point the **** hit the fan and I began dropping f bombs as I realised I had ordered the wrong part.

Spot the difference

On closer inspection after I had calmed down I noticed the actual bushing was the same, it was just the mounting bracket that was different.

So out came the torx 45, and 16mm bits to pull them both to bits.

I then cleaned the old mounting bracket up with a wire brush before fitting the new bush to it. I had to use the bolt from the old unit as the new one was too long due to the slight difference in design.
There was quite a difference in the bushes just looking at them, but I could also feel a difference by hand when trying to move the gearbox once everything was back together.

Then it's just a case of working backwards to refit everything.

Reactions: TheDriver
Cheers mate.

I couldn't find one when looking whilst waiting for my bush to turn up, so I thought it best to take a few pics should someone ask about it.

Brilliant write up. Now just to source the parts and actually have a spare bit of time to fit it.

I believe you can buy just the bush part that I had to swap out on its own from eBay for around £20.