[HELP] Oil Pressure is too low! Switch off engine! - Been trying to fix this for the past year or so

P.C.K

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a problem that is not perhaps common but certainly happens to various Audi / VAG owners.
A red blinking oil can comes on, blinks 3 times with a terrifying and loud noise and says:
OIL PRESSURE IS TOO LOW! SWITCH OFF ENGINE!

Initially, this was very scary, but now, a year later and many tries & fails at fixing the problem later I don't care about it in the same scope as I did when it first happened, but of course I am still trying to fix it.

I've scoured online and this forum for answers, but all the threads I have found I already did the things suggested, plus the situation presented by the original poster was different from mine everytime.

The car in question is a 1.6TDI, coming up on 150k miles done. Ever since it started about a year ago the problem manifest only when the car is decelerating to low speeds from motorway driving, usually happening when I am going down the off-ramp.
It does happen at other times when the car is going through some elevations or hard turns but not nearly as much. I also had it happen once on a drive (and in that situation consistently) when I was more or less choking the engine on the 7th gear while only doing 30mph or so. Everytime I would put it down to 6th the warning would disappear, and everytime I put it back up to 7 it would re-appear.
Now when I try that it doesn't happen, so it was a weird one off.

For the past year what has consistently worked to get this error off without switching the engine off was to just knock down a gear and give it some thrust / pressure, even momentary one would cause the error to go away.

I've been driving the car pretty consistently for the past year up until Corona appeared with the error only being gone for a month & a half / two months in that period when I tried one of my fixes (details on that in the chronological list below). And the engine hasn't exploded yet, so I presume its not something super critical, but definitely something that could be doing slow damage over time. I haven't noticed any power drops, the car is still spry.

So, what have I tried so far? Here comes the list. In more or less chronological order. As a note, my oil was never too low, the car never lost oil randomly and never gained any through other liquids.

- Checked with VCDS and found no apparent errors reported by the on-board computer.
- Sent it to a Garage to have the oil pan taken off, cleaned along with the oil pickup end, and new oil. Garage promptly ignored me, did an engine flush and just changed the oil & filter. The problem persisted more or less immediately.
- Did the repair myself, took the oil pan off, cleaned it, cleaned the oil pickup end mesh bit, in the oil pan and on the oil pickup I found bits of plastic, one being quite a large piece. This was after I had an encounter with a BMW that damaged the front end, so I suspect it was from this.
After doing this, the problem disappeared for about month & a half - 2 months. Then it re-appeared
- Changed the fuel filter
- Took the oil pan off again, cleaned the oil pickup end again, this time they were both clean, no metal filing or anything. At this point the issue was here for the past 8 months or so.
- Swapped the oil sensor that is embedded in the oil pan. After this the problem seemingly got worse as the error appeared more frequently, but now after a week it has gone back to normal levels.

The only things I can think of that I could do are as follows:
- Apparantely there is another oil sensor on the engine block, but I can't really find any information or parts about it.
- Maybe the actual pickup pipe is somewhat blocked and not just the end of it. If you are thinking that it might be those plastic bits that I found during my first clean of the pan then think again, before I had that crash the error was there for a good 4 month period.
- Maybe the oil pump is failing, but then again why would it mainly fail when I am coming off high speeds from the motorway, looking at an oil pump design maybe its the Stepless Vane Rotor inside of it that is loose.

Ideally if any of you can share any tid bits of knowledge I might be missing before I go and drop £120 on a new oil pump that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Maybe oil pick up pipe in sump sludged up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fit a new oil pick-up pipe in the sump.
I'd also fit an oil pressure gauge so you can really see what's happening.

Were you able to identify the plastic piece that you found?
Some of the older orange dipsticks were prone to losing some of the plastic pieces on them, so if you have/had an orange dipstick instead of a yellow one, you may have suffered from that leaving parts of plastic in your engine.
I could be way off the mark, but that bit of plastic had to come from somewhere.

Sorry for the late reply. I've ordered a new pickup pipe, once it arrives I am hoping to get on it quickly and sort it out once & for all.

Also, I am seeing that the car has an oil pressure switch somewhere, do any of you guys know where that is located? Struggling to find anything about it.

Regarding your question Daveyon. Its definitely not dipistick plastic, the biggest piece of plastic looked like a small dorito with 2 sheared sides. I haven't been able to identify where they were from exactly, I suspect they came from somewhere around the intercooler maybe when I had that collision. Either way I am pretty sure they are not a factor anymore as I only took that sump off for the second time recently and haven't found any extra plastic bits.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
If the oil service was on Long Life in its early life, then that’s the reason why sump and maybe other parts of the engine have oil sludge. Make sure you use the correct oil and change at least every 12 moths. Maybe worth Changing more often to clean engine oil ways out.
Oil pressure switch can collect sludge over the internal sensor and give false readings, so when you find it, remove it clean or replace.
There are oil pump problems on some oil pumps whereby the hex shaft wears due to its flimsy construction. I’m not sure if your version of pump is affected.
Check here -https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/oil-pump-failure.25875/

You could fit a cheap oil pressure gauge to understand under what loads the pressure drops, then log with VCDS to see which sensor(s) are reading incorrectly?

Aside from a failure are you using the correct rated oil to state the obvious

Hey everyone. I apologise for the silence, I wanted to do a quick update on this. I've been busy with some family business and also the gearbox in my car is now acting up.
I hooked the car up to a laptop and drove around. Tried to see if it could tell me anything more about the oil pressure problems. What I found is that once the problem starts happening, the oil pressure will constantaly switch from a bad state to a good state computer side, something that doesn't always show up on the dashboard. But that's about it.

I am not sure how to hook up a manual oil gauge, I found some kits to buy, just not sure where to hook it up to.

Now, I took another look at the oil pressure switch on the engine block, and what I found out was that the cable leading to it is actually frayed a little bit. That could be my issue considering that the onboard computer kept switching between bad and good pressure once the problem happened.

I'll be fixing it up soon and reporting whether that fixed the issue. If not, I will either fit a manual oil gauge if I can find out how or I might take a look at the oil pump. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: To answer your oil question above aqibi2000, I typically use 5w-30. Brand I am not really fussed about (do tell me if thats a mistake, but considering its a 1.6TDI I don't think it matters, not like I have an S3), last time I went with Mobil 1. I change the oil and filters every 7000 miles.

Last edited:
As long as the oil is the correct VW spec, the brand shouldn't make a difference at those service intervals.
Be aware, not all 5W30 oils are equal, hence the need to check it meets the right VW spec for your engine.

Re oil, if your car has a dpf make sure to use one of the VW approved oils with a “low ash” spec. VW 507 00, VW 504 00 is the spec to look for in this case.

So it has been a long *** while but I want to give an update nonetheless.

So as I said above, the cable of the oil pressure switch on the engine block was frayed. I initially tried to put some isolation tape on it and see if that fixed it. It did not.

I've recently drove to Poland and while there I visited a good friend of mine who is a mechanic. He soldered the cable together, granted it wasn't easy, the Germans made sure of that, as the cable was held by an additional backplate and generally speaking he didn't have a lot of space to work with and had to solder using a mirror for visibility. (As the cable is on the back of the block, underneath the turbo hose)

I thought he fixed it, alas, the ******* error is still there. Might be placebo but I think its less frequent now, but not sure yet. Maybe he didn't solder it completely, which is plausible because he literally had millimiters of space to work with, but I inspected the cable and it looks good, shrink wrapped and everything.
We even swapped the actual sensor to make sure, even though we inspected the one that was on there and it did not look wrong.

So I am out of options at this point. I guess the error will live with the car till the day it gets scrapped. Anyone who has ideas is welcome to pitch them.

Plastic in the sump wouldn’t come from a front end with a bmw.

something has failed and I suspect some of your oil ways are partially blocked and under certain conditions this causes low pressure.

have you checked the oil pump.

No, the oil pump is the last thing I have not checked now that I think about it.
But considering that this error has been happening to me for nearly 2 years, throughout the whole length of the ownership I can't imagine that its something that is actually mechanical in nature, as the engine should have exploded by now, but its in a healthy condition.

As I said above, the computer has shown that once I drive on motorway speeds, and then get off down to 30/40mph the error will constantly flicker on & off within the on board computer.

The majority of the time the oil circulation is sufficient, there fore the engine is fine. But under certain conditions the pressure drops.

I would check the pump, but from your previous post when you leave the motorway the pressure may drop too quickly giving the warning, indicating a valve or something is not working as it should.

mom afraid my knowledge of the system isn’t that good so I can’t point you to a exact location. Might be worth looking at EKTA or a Haynes manual to see if you can pick something out you may have missed. If I get the chance I’ll look also.

Don't have either of those manuals at the moment. Will look to pick one up and look into it a bit more. Probably going to give myself a break for the remainder of this year though. As I said, its been happening for 2 years and the engine has been fine driving across Europe 2 times and generally being twatted so I can't see it being an actual mechanical problem.

So a development has ocurred.
On a drive during new years eve to see the fireworks the error came on and stayed on. Switched off the engine, turned it back on. Error came up within 3 minutes and its now staying like that.
Put the car up on the ramps today and I have started to take it apart with the intent to finally look at the oil pump. Will update once thats done to see whats up. If I fail I got a mechanics appointment next Tuesday so they can have a go.

Had to do an oil change anyway so we'll see what is up.

EDIT: I also picked up Haynes manual and this is what it lists as potential problems of this for anyone viewing this in the future. I do recommend the manual btw.

ProblemProblem

Attachments

• ProblemProblem.PNG
    ProblemProblem.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Looks like that is only specific to the 2.0TDI? Could be wrong. I have a 2010 1.6TDI. Looked on KMB site and they only provide these replacements for the 2.0TDI engine hence my thinking.
Thanks though. If I find out that after all the **** I've been through with this car it gets killed by an oil pump I will drive it into the nearest Audi dealer.