HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!

danaudis3t

Reaction score
hi am new to site just 1 question why is it when my s3 goes 60 mph and over the car starts to shake. been to 3 garages now to have wheels balanced and still no joy :sadlike:

have you had the car four wheel alligned?

When the wheels were balanced did they check the wheels for flat spots? Although this would probably be apparent at lower speeds as well . . .

noob question, do mainstream garages like kwikfit do four wheel alignment or bog standard front wheel.

My steering sometimes pulls to left or right, depending on its mood :)

Ooooooooh, someone else with the same problem I have!! Yay! I finally have someone to compare notes with!

Car drives fine up to 58 MPH ish? At and over 60 MPH you can feel it through the driver and passenger seat? Seems to be worse some days than others? Isstill there at 80, but less noticable? F**cking irritating? Worse when conering at 60? If the answer to all is yes, welcome to my world.....

I've done all my engine mounts, in the process of changing all the front suspension (Lower arm bushes, drop links, brakes, ARB bushes done, still to do are top mounts, front shocks and bottom ball joints). That is also to do with another problem I have though - a 'clunking' which has me baffled.

After changing all that I'm going to have a 4 wheel alignment done. If that doesn't cure the problem, then the finger points mainly at the prop shaft UJ bush - which will be expensive.

I'm changing EVERYTHING else in the world before resigning myself to the fact that it may be this.

can you drive through it ???? not that i'm advocating speeding or anything but would say it's at it's worse around 60 and then say almost gone at 80 or over.... i had this on my old Audi coupe and it was small flat spots on the rims caused by too many speed humps.... it would change for the worse or better depending on how each front wheel was in relationship to it's oposite wheel on the same corner... sometimes the would harmonise and it would all but go away, go round a couple of bends and the relationship between the 2 wheels would be different and it would shake like mad.... new wheels was the fix.... can you try some different wheels ?? perhaps swap with a mate or a local member on here willing to help ??

can you drive through it ???? not that i'm advocating speeding or anything but would say it's at it's worse around 60 and then say almost gone at 80 or over.... i had this on my old Audi coupe and it was small flat spots on the rims caused by too many speed humps.... it would change for the worse or better depending on how each front wheel was in relationship to it's oposite wheel on the same corner... sometimes the would harmonise and it would all but go away, go round a couple of bends and the relationship between the 2 wheels would be different and it would shake like mad.... new wheels was the fix.... can you try some different wheels ?? perhaps swap with a mate or a local member on here willing to help ??

I tried different wheels mate, was still guilty of the same issue. Wheels was my first thought with regard to likely cause. I've had the entire engine out and back in (not because of the shaking) and that made no difference!

Good shout though. :icon_thumright:

Welly... sourse sounds like it could be propshaft related... sometimes they need to be balanced or the joints can wear

Yeah, I agree. I would just rather change all the smaller, cheap bits first for two reasons mainly. Firstly that the car has done nearly 130K. All the bushes are tired and want replacing anyway, so is good practice to get them sorted. Secondly, that I would not like to be the garage that changed the prop shaft *IF* I had it done and didn't resolve the problem. New props are around the £1000 mark to buy. Fitting them isn't that hard really, but I haven't got a 4 poster so would be a garage job.

A second hand prop would be what I was after - still not cheap though!

Mine does this as well but it's because my front drivers side wheel is buckled slightly which I found out when I had it on a RR.

In the process of changing all the front suspension (Lower arm bushes, drop links, brakes, ARB bushes done, still to do are top mounts, front shocks and bottom ball joints). That is also to do with another problem I have though - a 'clunking' which has me baffled.

I recently changed my lower arm bushes for some polyurethane ones. I too had the clunking noise when I pulled away or stopped (basically when you shift the weight on and off the front end). It turned out I hadn't torqued up the bolts enough! Thought that might be useful!

I recently changed my lower arm bushes for some polyurethane ones. I too had the clunking noise when I pulled away or stopped (basically when you shift the weight on and off the front end). It turned out I hadn't torqued up the bolts enough! Thought that might be useful!

Cheers dude. I've checked all the torques on fitting - and the clunking is a historic problem, I've been changing bushes to try and resolve the problem.

Prop shaft bush worn would cause this my m8 had the same described problem cost about £200+ labour

Where the prob bolts onto diff il try and get a part number for you off Etka 2moro...

If u have access its illustration number 521-10 and number 18..

Bit of a pain of a job to do as prop off..

Last edited:
hi ive had the prop shaft changed at audi and just had new clutch and duel mass fitted. ive tryed outher wheels and does not make a diffance. does any body know if i try puting it on a 2 poster and takeing it over 60 mph and get the garage to look at it.