help needed with a3 Sportback fwd Engine Swap

maxvan22

Reaction score
hello guys, been more than 2 months searching for the right engine to swap, i got 1.6 mpi engine, went to many engine delars and every one of them got his own perspective for the right engine
they all give me these 3 options for my budget axx , bwa (jetta and golf engine) , ccza i think they are all run at the same power 200hp 280 tourq ccza maybe go 10+ hp

so i stuck and i don't know which one should i go with

my driving style always putting the engine under pressure so which one you recommend for me

Thank you guys

I would avoid the AXX engine as fitted to the early Mk 5 GTi. Reports of a softer fuel pump camshaft lobe.
Also, the pipework to the fuel pump on the AXX engine are hard metal pipes. This makes it difficult to change the fuel pump cam follower whereas on the BWA and onwards a flexible rubber pipe is used to supply the fuel pump.
we have a TT with a BWA engine on 91k miles. This has a k03 turbo and has been trouble free. This pulls well at low revs but maybe runs out of puff a bit at the top end.

If a byd engine and all its bits can be fitted that will really fly. This is from an edition 30 GTI with a KO4 engine. Basically this is a detuned S3 engine and so it strong and can be remapped over 350 BHP with the correct hardware. The K04 gives you less at the bottom but more up the top end.

I would avoid the AXX engine as fitted to the early Mk 5 GTi. Reports of a softer fuel pump camshaft lobe.
Also, the pipework to the fuel pump on the AXX engine are hard metal pipes. This makes it difficult to change the fuel pump cam follower whereas on the BWA and onwards a flexible rubber pipe is used to supply the fuel pump.
we have a TT with a BWA engine on 91k miles. This has a k03 turbo and has been trouble free. This pulls well at low revs but maybe runs out of puff a bit at the top end.

If a byd engine and all its bits can be fitted that will really fly. This is from an edition 30 GTI with a KO4 engine. Basically this is a detuned S3 engine and so it strong and can be remapped over 350 BHP with the correct hardware. The K04 gives you less at the bottom but more up the top end.
thank you so much for your answer
the byd i out of my budget , this is the situation right now i know you mention issues with the Axx but i got a very good deal on this system so if i stick to the axx is it going to be nightmare to me compare it with the bwa ?

I think the main issue is the less hard inlet camshaft lobe material, especially if you are planning to fit an uprated HPFP.
The hard lines to the pump are more of a nuisance when changing the cam follower as it’s tricky undoing the banjo bolt compared to just moving the pump on the BWA as the connection is rubber tubing.

I think the main issue is the less hard inlet camshaft lobe material, especially if you are planning to fit an uprated HPFP.
The hard lines to the pump are more of a nuisance when changing the cam follower as it’s tricky undoing the banjo bolt compared to just moving the pump on the BWA as the connection is rubber tubing.
i see but i not planning to upgrade stock hpfp , i know that u recommend the best of this two engines but i again budget put me in the corner

thanks mate for your answers at least now i know what I'm going to face if I stick with the Axx

Reactions: prt57