Help needed - wheel colour on FL Ara Blue S3 saloon

LPoint

Reaction score
I picked up a black edition s3 saloon in ara blue last year. Recently drove over a massive pothole that buckled the front driver's side wheel. I've been to a repair shop who've told me that they can bend the wheel back into shape, but it can't be recut as it's been done too many times already, the only option is to have all 4 resprayed. On top of this, I've noticed some corrosion on the wheel faces so it looks like I'm going to have to get them resprayed.

pics of buckle and corrosion -

20220328 150041

20220328 150135

I love the 2-tone effect of the wheels and feel they add a nice contrast to the car so I'm gutted that will be gone. People I've spoken to have suggested getting them sprayed black to match the black edition trim, but I'm really not a fan of black wheels. I personally think they dull the overall look of the car.

pic from google of ara blue s3 with my wheels in black for reference.

Used 2017 audi s3 20tfsiprestige 6105 21165861 53 1024

I'm interested in people's opinions on what colour would look good on this car against the ara blue. Particularly looking to see if anyone has any pictures of different colour wheels on an ara blue car. Google brings very limited results.

pics of my car/wheels -

20220328 150109

any advice appreciated.

I do like a glass black wheel and it will match your Black Edition trim but can understand where you're coming from. Perhaps just a lighter anthracite colour for the rims if black doesn't float your boat :s3addict:

PS Get your brake disk bells painted as Mr Rust doesn't look very pleasant lol.

I will be more inclined to find a second hand or new wheel. Even bending it back could create weak points in the wheel but that’s your choice.
anyway you could give it a 2 tone paint job. A mate years ago had the old rotors that was kerbed and couldn’t be cut again so the wheel refurbish place painted the wheel in its original colour and filled and painted the diamond cut bits in the brightest silver available. It looked really good. Up close you could tell it’s painted not cut but it wasn’t like it looked bad or worse than original. Just different.
also paint/powder coat is more durable than clear lacquer on a cut face.

I do like a glass black wheel and it will match your Black Edition trim but can understand where you're coming from. Perhaps just a lighter anthracite colour for the rims if black doesn't float your boat :s3addict:

PS Get your brake disk bells painted as Mr Rust doesn't look very pleasant lol.
yeah, I was thinking a dark grey might look better. And yes, that rust will be dealt with when I get the wheels sorted!
I will be more inclined to find a second hand or new wheel. Even bending it back could create weak points in the wheel but that’s your choice.
anyway you could give it a 2 tone paint job. A mate years ago had the old rotors that was kerbed and couldn’t be cut again so the wheel refurbish place painted the wheel in its original colour and filled and painted the diamond cut bits in the brightest silver available. It looked really good. Up close you could tell it’s painted not cut but it wasn’t like it looked bad or worse than original. Just different.
also paint/powder coat is more durable than clear lacquer on a cut face.

Interesting, I'll have to go back to the wheel shop and see if they can match the colour of the original wheel with powder coat. Not been able to find any decent 2nd hand wheels online, although it's been a week since I looked so need to keep checking. Audi quoted just over 1k for a new wheel - I'm still in a batlle with the local highways about liability, so if they accept the claim then I'll be pushing for that option, but I can almost guarantee they'll try to get out of it.

Diamond cut wheels look beautiful IMO, but my god are they a pain in the ****.

I looked at getting my wheels done gloss black until I discovered that the cheap 'copy imports' were gloss black !!!
Wheel tyre pss 4
Stayed with a touch of lacquer on the lifting edge and they have stayed fine for 6 months now, although if we had had a bad winter, I don't think they would have stayed so tidy. Personally I would not go with 'hammering' the rim straight as aluminium work hardens and unless heat treated correctly it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

i'm confused...the outer is diamond cut so no paint needed(just correction), the inner is L8AU paint code so why can't you still have 2 tone? I would attempt to correct the diamond cut area and consider painting inners black which will match your car theme. disassemble the caps and paint black then reassemble with the silver bits