Help needed, totally befuddled

Leo Komninos

Reaction score
Advised to post on other sections....

Just coming to the end of rebuilding an A6 C5 Avant 2.7t AJK with Tip FAW(5A). Started up fine after priming system, and didn't even have a MIL light!! Only the Airbag light which was a known issue.

Heat cycled it, a few times, and emptied the flushing oil and water out, for the good stuff. All done the past few days.
Set about fixing error codes:
A/C pressure switch
Siren internal batteries dead
Airbag igniter Drivers side
...Guessed clockspring, but was pinched wires. insulated and cleared codes..all good.
Start it to test A/c switch and sounds like a bag of spanners. Sounds like it's misfiring like crazy.
No MIL, check Measuring Block and no misfires detected. No error codes for engine. No failed cam/crank sensors....no lack of fuel...
Any ideas?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Only thing I did was an 'actuator test' which basically tests solenoid in engine: evap, purge, etc, and injectors. All clicked normally.
Then on restart....bricks in a cement mixer!! Sounds like the VVTs have adjusted themselves 'out', but have not returned.
Any advise how to resolve/reset? Got the etka manual, which says: engine electrs>MVB>90 when engine idling'CS-ctrl OFF' and both banks -3 to 6 CA. And when driving 'CS-ctrl ON' and 16 to 25 CA.
Problem is i'm refurbing wheels, and doubt it would move at all!

If its running like crap and its not a misfire, then its got to be fuel starvation.

No, not aircon. Removed aux belt. Has new timing chains and guides. Think it's both the vvt tensioners sticking at the same time...
What are the odds
Will investigate to find out latter.

Have you been starting engine then shutting off say less than a minute?

Only when it sounded like ****. Popping off cam covers at mo...
All looks good, chains tight nothing knarled, except my knuckles.
Totally clueless. Shall put back together and check fuel pressure...

Last edited:
What are your sparks like, particularly no 4?

I think I must have 'cleared leared values' thinking it was just the ECU 'drivers style' and c**ked something up. Litterally sound as if 'the ht leads are in the wrong order'!
I'll wait until I get the VCDS stuff and then see what I've ballzed up.
Mechanically it has not changed. That'll teach me for trying a Xtool VAG401.

Wouldn't know how to check spark, but didn't show any misfire. [ which also points to me changing the timing accidentally, it thinks it is not misfiring].

Last edited:
I meant spark plugs, sorry i wasn't clear, are they wet?

I bet you've flooded it, that's all. I dry the sparkplugs off and/or allow fuel in cylinders to evaporate/use a blowtorch (be very careful if doing this).
Happens to me all the time. I never learn.
Kind of sounds like an imprezza but even worse yes?

Reactions: Leo Komninos
Took plugs out vented combustion chambers with compressed air and tube. Cleaned plugs, even though new.
No change at all.
Got stock AJK bin from NefMoto and compared to my bin with HxD and identical.

Must be stuck VVT adjusters?! yes/no?!?

There was a reason my nickname was 'Double Lucky Leo'...
Turns out the 'actuator test' must have found a sticky cam adjuster or two, causing the timing chain to skip....... causing the timing to be out.....then the beautiful marriage between valves and pistons.... YEAY!!
On the plus side, this was what I was repairing it from anyway. Bought for £200 with cam belt failure. Lets hope, as it was just a cranking whack, that i don't need to pul the engine again.
Live and learn, check movement of cam adjusters and don't test them if it's running well.

If anything its only going to be a slightly bent valve, (but if it wasnt broke, dont fix.it) or something along those lines* !

Good work leo and be lucky

Managed to get two ARE heads, just in case. But anyone know where I can get cam cap bolts? 058 103 460A/C or WHT002015 {last is most recent revision, M6x40) Have a lot of helicoiling to do, as sure threads will 'yeild' when torqued to specs!!