Help Needed! Front Suspension creaking noise

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Folks,

I recently bought an A3 8v 1.4 tfsi (2014) and within first couple of days started noticing creaking sound coming from front suspension. It is more on the driver side then on the passenger however, it does come from both sides. You can only hear it at low speeds (between 0-15mph) and occasionally turning steering anti clockwise while stationary. It doesn't happen that often on clockwise steering movement but does every now and then.

Car has been with Audi couple of times and will be with them tomorrow again for the fourth time to investigate the issue. Last time it was there they greased the top mounts (,"), the noise went away for a day or so and returned afterwards. I also took it ATS where one of my neighbours work (and he knows his stuff). We checked the springs, shocks, struts, bearings and everything seemed fine. There was a very little movement in the top mounts but nothing serious (or as I was told).

On my last visit to Audi, we also went for a test drive in order for me to replicate it but couldn't. The annoying thing is it doesn't do it on the below speed bumps:

Speed Bumps 1

however, it is definitely there on them ones and you can hear as soon as the front tyres come off of them. And you can hear it when the car is in slow speed. I never drive over them in high speed so can't confirm if it is there or not. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of them near kids school and not where Oxford Audi are based hence I could replicate.

Speed humps 2

I am lost as to what the problem can be. Can it be the plastic casings on the springs causing this or is it something normal that I'll have to live with.

Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Same issue, with audi now, they say they can not re create it, going down to re create it for them after work today:/ but mine is an s3 8v facelift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is frustrating as the car has only done 34k miles so you don't expect any suspension related issues. Folks under RS3 reported something similar as well but are yet to find the rootcuase. If it is an issue occuring on so many variants surely it must be known to Audi?

Let us know if you manage to find out anything about it

Try going over the first example of a speed bump slowly and at an angle and see what it does. I’m wondering if it’s the sway bar drop links/bushes squeaking.

Reactions: V6_Man
Try going over the first example of a speed bump slowly and at an angle and see what it does. I’m wondering if it’s the sway bar drop links/bushes squeaking.

Cheers mate. Tried all sorts, slow as well as relatively high speeds but nothing on the first example. Not even a hint. You hit the second one and boom, it is there. The guy at ATS checked the droplinks and bushes and I was with him last week and we couldn't find anything apart from the little movement that I mentioned. And this is what is really bothering me.

There is also a constant bearing like noise at high speeds (40mph+ and driver side as well), which I initially thought was bad bearings but even that is fine... :(

Cheers mate. Tried all sorts, slow as well as relatively high speeds but nothing on the first example. Not even a hint. You hit the second one and boom, it is there. The guy at ATS checked the droplinks and bushes and I was with him last week and we couldn't find anything apart from the little movement that I mentioned. And this is what is really bothering me.

There is also a constant bearing like noise at high speeds (40mph+ and driver side as well), which I initially thought was bad bearings but even that is fine... :(

Well, there goes my theory! Lol.

Some people have mentioned the bearing noise and they changed the tyres and found that it went away. Not that you want to go around just changing tyres randomly, but you could maybe swap the position and see what happens?

Well, there goes my theory! Lol.

Some people have mentioned the bearing noise and they changed the tyres and found that it went away. Not that you want to go around just changing tyres randomly, but you could maybe swap the position and see what happens?

. It was the first thing I did a month after picking up the car from Dundee Audi. I changed from Contis to PS4s (not PS4S) thinking it might be down to tyres as all corners had uneven wear (between 4.5 and 6mm). Had them aligned straight afterwards - no joys.

. It was the first thing I did a month after picking up the car from Dundee Audi. I changed from Contis to PS4s (not PS4S) thinking it might be down to tyres as all corners had uneven wear (between 4.5 and 6mm). Had them aligned straight afterwards - no joys.

Really weird then, don't know what else to suggest! I'd hope that they'd keep looking at it for you until they find out what the issue is. :)

Really weird then, don't know what else to suggest! I'd hope that they'd keep looking at it for you until they find out what the issue is. :)

Exactly why the car is with them 4th time since April. I will also call Audi UK tomorrow and raise it with them. I thought I'll ask it here hoping someone would know the answer :(

The only possible explanation that I can think of is the plastic casing around the springs, which could be the cause. But we checked them too and they were as tight as a ... can't say it here else the mods will ban me :whip:
I can also see the top strut movement hitting the body during vertical movement of the springs but then it should happen on all kinds of speed humps/bumps and uneven roads, shouldn't it...

You could always buy some Eibach springs and then if that fixes the problem get them to pay for them since you'll save them money in the long run. Haha

You could always buy some Eibach springs and then if that fixes the problem get them to pay for them since you'll save them money in the long run. Haha

Good idea and I'll mention to Oxford Audi tomorrow.

A3 is a sportback sport but without sport suspension and Eibachs will not only lower the car but also cover the gap between wheels and arches where one can hold a garden party for all of Oxfordshire :)

Reactions: Daggerit
Could it be the Haldex coupling engaging and disengaging when you go over the second type speedramps. That’s the only other thing that moves.

Mines exactly the same , used to creak goin over large speed humps only, Last few weeks it got worse creaks and groans on any uneven road spoke to local dealer total waste of time , more sense from a box of jelly babies

Reactions: scoss and V6_Man
Could it be the Haldex coupling engaging and disengaging when you go over the second type speedramps. That’s the only other thing that moves.

Cheers bud. A possibility however, mine isn't a quattro. It's a poor man's 1.4

Mines exactly the same , used to creak goin over large speed humps only, Last few weeks it got worse creaks and groans on any uneven road spoke to local dealer total waste of time , more sense from a box of jelly babies

Surely, there must be a TSB for this? It looks like I am not the only one.

Same issue, with audi now, they say they can not re create it, going down to re create it for them after work today:/ but mine is an s3 8v facelift.

Umar, did you manage to replicate the issue for the dealership.

Then driveshafts, cv joints possibly whine from gearbox.

Gearbox maybe not but driveshaft or CV joints can be a possibility. I will mention it to them tomorrow to look at it. Cheers bud. Didn't think about driveshafts ...

Have had exactly the same problem with my 1.4 as well. I am also completely lost :/ Only started happening after I put the car on a ramp to fit a splitter, did you have yours up in the air recently too?

Car went in with Audi the next day, I went with their tech and was able to replicate the issue twice however, it wasn't as loud as it usually is. Towards the end of the day got the usual, 'everything is fine' response. The very next morning it made the same noise again so, I made a video rather couple of videos and tool them to Oxford Audi.

Had another appointment today with the technician and the car was creaking like crazy until I got to the dealership. Picked up the technician and went to exacytge same spot where it happens and guess what; NOTHING. Well, actually happened only once. Same road, same humps/bumps and car drives like a dream. WTF!

Apologies for the poor quality of the video. If you listen to it carefully the noise is there all the time and especially between 0.18-0.23 and 0.41-0.44 secs.

Have had exactly the same problem with my 1.4 as well. I am also completely lost :/ Only started happening after I put the car on a ramp to fit a splitter, did you have yours up in the air recently too?

My problem started a week after I bought the car. Been on the ramp quite a few times to find out the root cause but to no avail ...

Reactions: Ben Watson
Mine does it a well. Mine sounds like a belly pan is loose when going over speed bumps and has done it from new. Now I have seen this thread I don’t think I will bother with Audi. Hopeless

Mine does it a well. Mine sounds like a belly pan is loose when going over speed bumps and has done it from new. Now I have seen this thread I don’t think I will bother with Audi. Hopeless

The last check Audi did they said they needed to grease some bushes and wanted to charge me £380 for it. And when I asked how confident they were that it will fix the issue they didn't have an answer. So, I did what I had to do, which was to leave the stealership by telling what I had to tell them.

I am going Eibach Pro in June and will change the top mount while the car is with APS Brackley and will report back if it fixes the issue.

It’s surprisingly common, especially on cold wet days

Greasing the bushes helps but that’s a temporary workaround as it will come back. As doggerit said, going over speed bumps at an angle is more likely to demonstrate it.

There was a top mount issue with some cars but yours sounds different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately the 8v/mqb platform is plagued with this as I have a similar issue, but Audi could never get to the bottom of it so I’ve just learned to live with it ever since as i only get it occasionally. Like you all suspension components were solid without any play. There are a number of threads below with posssible fixes and the top strut mounts being a strong candidate, but it seems most people just had to put up with it in the end.

It is frustrating since we’ve all paid a premium for the Audi badge, so not something we should experience or have to live with.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/8v-front-suspension-creaking.233615/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/creaking-s3.343371/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/creaking-new-car.332546/
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/creaking-noise-front-suspension-2015-a3.258203/

Sorry I didn't see this thread when first posted. I had this from new and there's a thread about it somewhere here from 2014. Creaking over speedbumps and sometimes just in normal driving, plus when wheels turned lock to lock stationary. The latter was the key to finding the problem. I got my girlfriend to turn the steering whilst I listened outside with the bonnet up. The noise was very obviously coming from the drivers side top suspension mount bearing. This was changed out under warranty by Audi and it has been problem free ever since.

Edit: My thread here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/weird-intermittent-creaking.217958/

Post no.39 in the thread has a link to an audio recording I made as I was just driving on a normal road with the faulty bearing.

Sorry I didn't see this thread when first posted. I had this from new and there's a thread about it somewhere here from 2014. Creaking over speedbumps and sometimes just in normal driving, plus when wheels turned lock to lock stationary. The latter was the key to finding the problem. I got my girlfriend to turn the steering whilst I listened outside with the bonnet up. The noise was very obviously coming from the drivers side top suspension mount bearing. This was changed out under warranty by Audi and it has been problem free ever since.

Edit: My thread here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/weird-intermittent-creaking.217958/

Post no.39 in the thread has a link to an audio recording I made as I was just driving on a normal road with the faulty bearing.

Exactly that mate, exactly that. It is the same with me; lock to lock stationery, normal driving and creaking over large speed bumps. One of my neighbor's who used to work for ATS identified it to be top mounts and so did Ox Audi. However, later on they changed their mind when I left the car with them for about three weeks when I went on holidays in March and said it would be fixed by greasing the bushes.

I have bought Eibach Pro kit along with top mounts, which will be replaced next month along with Cambelt by APS Brackley.

Reactions: steverobertsbbc

Just got my car back from a Service where the car was up on the air with the wheels off and now my suspension is creaking. :-(

Hi all, my car developed a squeaking/creaking noise after lowering with springs. It can be noticed if I push down on the bonnet just above the wheel either side and also at slow speeds. It comes and goes and annoys the hell out of me. I first thought it was something to do with the springs being fitted incorrectly or the wrong ones for my car but sounds like everyone is having this issue :grumpy:

Hi all, my car developed a squeaking/creaking noise after lowering with springs. It can be noticed if I push down on the bonnet just above the wheel either side and also at slow speeds. It comes and goes and annoys the hell out of me. I first thought it was something to do with the springs being fitted incorrectly or the wrong ones for my car but sounds like everyone is having this issue :grumpy:

Did you check the top mounts?

I recently bought an A3 8v 1.4 tfsi (2014) and within first couple of days started noticing creaking sound coming from front suspension.
On my last visit to Audi, we also went for a test drive in order for me to replicate it but couldn't. The annoying thing is it doesn't do it on the below speed bumps:
<small, sharp speed bump>

however, it is definitely there on them ones and you can hear as soon as the front tyres come off of them. And you can hear it when the car is in slow speed. I never drive over them in high speed so can't confirm if it is there or not.
<large, gentle speed bump>
Mine has exactly the same symptoms as this (Sept '13 8V 1.4TFSI sportback, Sport trim on standard non-sport suspension). The thing I don't get is, if it's the top mounts, why do they creak coming off the gentle speed bumps when there's no change of steering angle? What's actually moving/creaking?

Mine has exactly the same symptoms as this (Sept '13 8V 1.4TFSI sportback, Sport trim on standard non-sport suspension). The thing I don't get is, if it's the top mounts, why do they creak coming off the gentle speed bumps when there's no change of steering angle? What's actually moving/creaking?

Top mounts generally look like a 2 metal plates bonded together from the outside but internally they have bush (shaped like a donut between the two metal plates) which can often wear and degrade etc. causing the noise!

On my A3 if I turn the steering full lock clockwise, I could hear the creaking sound it made. Whether it fixes the issue for you or replacement of any other bushes, you'll have to follow the process of elimination by fixing the cheapest parts first.

Did you check the top mounts?
Thanks for your reply? When you ask if I have checked the top mounts, what are you referring too? The car started making the noise after the springs were changed to lower the car and the car was less than 6 month old. Sorry I'm not the most mechanically minded person. Thanks for any help you can provide as this noise is making me consider getting rid of the car which I'd rather not do.

Well I had someone turn the wheel left to right and nothing, turns out its my front brake pads creaking when the brakes are on, I have recently been cleaning my wheels with turtle wax alloy wheel cleaner and I suspect some has got on my pads and discs and making them creak.

Car went in with Audi the next day, I went with their tech and was able to replicate the issue twice however, it wasn't as loud as it usually is. Towards the end of the day got the usual, 'everything is fine' response. The very next morning it made the same noise again so, I made a video rather couple of videos and tool them to Oxford Audi.

Had another appointment today with the technician and the car was creaking like crazy until I got to the dealership. Picked up the technician and went to exacytge same spot where it happens and guess what; NOTHING. Well, actually happened only once. Same road, same humps/bumps and car drives like a dream. WTF!

Apologies for the poor quality of the video. If you listen to it carefully the noise is there all the time and especially between 0.18-0.23 and 0.41-0.44 secs.

this is exactly the noise mines makes. Did you get you top mounts replaced? What the costs of this? I’m on standard s line suspension so only 15 mm drop. Are yours 30mm?

this is exactly the noise mines makes. Did you get you top mounts replaced? What the costs of this? I’m on standard s line suspension so only 15 mm drop. Are yours 30mm?

I had the A3 lowered on Eibach Prokit as well as changed top mounts, which fixed the creaking from the top. However, it then started creaking from the bottom , which I was told was front arm front and rear bushes and replacing them would fix it. I didn't listen at the time and ended up replacing them, which did the trick. No annoying creaking anymore.

I had the A3 lowered on Eibach Prokit as well as changed top mounts, which fixed the creaking from the top. However, it then started creaking from the bottom , which I was told was front arm front and rear bushes and replacing them would fix it. I didn't listen at the time and ended up replacing them, which did the trick. No annoying creaking anymore.

total cost mate? So it’s def a replace both top and bottom mounts? Did the lowering cause the lower ones to this issue?

total cost mate? So it’s def a replace both top and bottom mounts? Did the lowering cause the lower ones to this issue?

Eibach cost me around £185-ish from Damian @DPM here on the forum. I don't remember the cost of other parts as APS Brackley sorted it all out for me. I can have a look at the receipts tomorrow if it is OK. For me, I think both top and bottom noises were there but top was more pronounced. The lower one I started noticing only after replacing top mounts.

I don't think lowering was the cause for the bottom one, if you read on here as well as on A3/S3/RS3 FB group this appears to be a common issue as well as the fix across majority of 8v.

Eibach cost me around £185-ish from Damian @DPM here on the forum. I don't remember the cost of other parts as APS Brackley sorted it all out for me. I can have a look at the receipts tomorrow if it is OK. For me, I think both top and bottom noises were there but top was more pronounced. The lower one I started noticing only after replacing top mounts.

I don't think lowering was the cause for the bottom one, if you read on here as well as on A3/S3/RS3 FB group this appears to be a common issue as well as the fix across majority of 8v.

Ok thanks. As I'm keeping the car for another 3/4 years I def need to get this fixed.
Did you go the spacer route too?

Ok thanks. As I'm keeping the car for another 3/4 years I def need to get this fixed.
Did you go the spacer route too?

No spacers mate as the A3 is used as a daily by Mrs and I'd rather she doesn't damage the diamond cut .

Pic fyi, I am happy with how it sits on 18s with just the Eibachs.

00dd89e241385831ace5cddabfab83a8.jpg