Help needed - Flashing PRNDS ...

DriverN00B

Reaction score
Hi guys

Was driving to work yesterday morning in my Mk5 GTi and on an uphill the car lost drive, looked at DIS and had the flashing PRNDS. Cycled ignition a few times until it stopped flashing and went back into gear, and managed to park up. The flashing would come back fairly instantly any time I tried to move forward etc, sometimes even when in P. Also if for example the gear selector was in N/D etc when the flashing started, moving to P would have no effect and I wasn't able to remove the key as the car still thought the selector was in D/N etc... the light for D or N (whichever was selected at time of flashing) on the gear selector would remain highlighted whilst the DIS was flashing.

Eventually it sorted itself out after 20 mins when I went into tiptronic mode (not sure if I'd tried this before).

Error I got after scanning was 28775 which is 'No communication with gear selector module'. Drove yesterday evening fine (about 20 miles), going through gears perfectly as before.

So faulty mechatronics or the gear selector?

Hi buddy. If you use the search function this topic has been covered many times before. Alternatively you can lookup the error code on the Ross-Tech wiki...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/28775/U0103/049411

Also could be gearbox temp sensor if it has one...

Thanks, had a look at most threads on this forum and others related to the flashing PRNDS. Issues range from mechatronics to the microswitch for P, but the specific errors thrown up for these seem to be different to the ones I had.

Not sure at the minute what to do next to try and narrow down what it could be!

I suspect the gear unit in center console, the microswitch is one, if this isn't working the lock wont disengage at times & thus key stuck in, also wont register correctly on the dis.

It needs diagnosing, I suspect the switch is dodgy, I've changed these out before, its a pita but cheaper than a new gear unit.

Reactions: DriverN00B
I suspect the gear unit in center console, the microswitch is one, if this isn't working the lock wont disengage at times & thus key stuck in, also wont register correctly on the dis.

It needs diagnosing, I suspect the switch is dodgy, I've changed these out before, its a pita but cheaper than a new gear unit.

Thanks Nigel, I've read the forum where you suggested just pushing it in, may try that first and see if problem comes back as a first thing.

If it does, what would be the next steps in terms of diagnosing? And is the microswitch replacement something you'd come out to do (for a charge)?