Help needed! Both Radiator fans come on when engine is cold!

BenTourB

Reaction score
hi guys,

I have a 2010 1.4TFSi. Both radiator fans come on at full speed even when the engine is cold.

the fans come on after switching the engine on, about 5/10 seconds later the Revs slightly increase and a warning comes on the dash saying stop start is out of order.

I have changed temp sensor in the engine, the a/c isn’t effected when off or on, no airlock, car gets to 90degrees fine and heating is fine.

I’m struggling now

Someone please help!!

It’s in the wrong forum mate. This is the 8L forum an you need the 8p forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked that there are more than one temperature sensor as sometimes there are two? When I had this on my S3 it was fixed by changing the obvious one above the gearbox.

Have you checked that there are more than one temperature sensor as sometimes there are two? When I had this on my S3 it was fixed by changing the obvious one above the gearbox.

Are there any tutorials on this at all mate?

If it’s anything like a bkd engine there is also a temp sensor on the rad fans.

IF there is on on your rad fan assembly it will more than likely be built in and require a new unit.

On my bkd engine (admittedly a tdi I know) I had to replace the whole unit.

What fault code are you getting exactly?

IF there is on on your rad fan assembly it will more than likely be built in and require a new unit.

On my bkd engine (admittedly a tdi I know) I had to replace the whole unit.

What fault code are you getting exactly?

I’ll be able to let you know ASAP mate! I’ll respond when I get it!

Thanks bud

Once you have located a sensor you think it is, unplug it and see via vcds is the sensor valve goes to a default value...to confirm it’s the right one

Hi guys! Update:

My VAG com says this error code:-

01598 Drive Battery voltage
011 Open Circuit

Seeing all the bits online, it could be as simple as a break in the cable running to the alternator or a loose earth by the jack point.

I’ll keep you all posted how this goes!

Thanks all again

Have you had to jump start it recently.

I think this fault can crop up sometimes if the battery dies or is failing.

Try clearing the dtc and see if it reappears.

Check all earth points etc and test the current battery.

Does the car idle high at times as this can happen sometimes with this fault, from what I’ve read along with the fans on constantly.

Does the car idle high at times as this can happen sometimes with this fault, from what I’ve read along with the fans on constantly.

Never had to jump start it mate. All earth wires in engine bay are secured too. The battery voltage is fine too!

Tried to clear it but it re appears straight away. Fans come on 5/10 seconds from turning engine on and idle does go a bit higher.

I don’t know where any other earth wires could possibly be going. I can’t see any sheared cables either anywhere. Very odd

I’ve also disconnected the battery and put it back on. The problem goes away for a little bit (let it warm up to 90 degrees static) then comes back when I take the car for a drive, which makes me think there’s a loose earth somewhere...

Last edited:
I’ve also disconnected the battery and put it back on. The problem goes away for a little bit (let it warm up to 90 degrees static) then comes back when I take the car for a drive, which makes me think there’s a loose earth somewhere...

Use jump leads to ground the engine directly to the battery negative terminal and you can do the same thing for the positive to the alternator

I see you have 2 A3’s for sale. If the batteries are the same try swapping them over to eliminate the battery.

The current one may have a duff cell which is causing the fault. Long shot I know but worth it to definitely eliminate it.

I see you have 2 A3’s for sale. If the batteries are the same try swapping them over to eliminate the battery.

The current one may have a duff cell which is causing the fault. Long shot I know but worth it to definitely eliminate it.

One is stop start and the other isn’t unfortunately!

Thanks though, I did think that :(

Use jump leads to ground the engine directly to the battery negative terminal and you can do the same thing for the positive to the alternator

Apparently there is a ground wire underneath the battery box going to the gearbox. I will check this is securely fastened and update when I have done this!

Which one is stop start? This one?

I’ve seen a thread somewhere involving this issue and a stop/start vehicle.

It mentions a ground from the negative terminal to the ecu I think?

Which one is stop start? This one?

I’ve seen a thread somewhere involving this issue and a stop/start vehicle.

It mentions a ground from the negative terminal to the ecu I think?

Yeah the one with the stop start pal. Sorry to be a donut, where is the ECU on a 2010 1.4TFSi?

I think it is an earth problem, everything else seem sweet!

Yeah the one with the stop start pal. Sorry to be a donut, where is the ECU on a 2010 1.4TFSi?

I think it is an earth problem, everything else seem sweet!

Don’t know where it is sorry. Possibly under the scuttle panel.

Found the thread. It does mention that if the battery is quite old, they can only do a certain amount of starts. These type need a special test. Does the stop start work? If not these issues could be related.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2010-a3-1-6tdi-sport-stop-start-issue.213224/
I can’t find the thread about the ground, I’ll keep looking.

Mmm. Then a lot of wire checking me thinks. Other than that at a loss.

Mmm. Then a lot of wire checking me thinks. Other than that at a loss.

Dead annoying! I’m going to check the bottom of the battery tray, looking at a few threads there is a main earth which causes issues below the tray! If not I’ll see if anything is loose around the ecu.

Use a jump lead to ground the engine. and see if the issue is fixed. No point chasing bad grounds yet just try this first to see if the issue is rectified with the above

Reactions: abmat
Hi Guys, update!

I took the battery tray out, cleaned up the earth wire connections on all points with a wire brush!

The spark I got when connecting the negative terminal again was huge, where as before it was tiny! I’m hoping not to jinx it but 36 hours and no issues yet...

I think I’ve solved the problem!!! WOOOO!!!

Reactions: abmat