Help needed, befuddled me!

Leo Komninos

Reaction score
Just coming to the end of rebuilding an A6 C5 Avant 2.7t AJK with Tip FAW(5A). Started up fine after priming system, and didn't even have a MIL light!! Only the Airbag light which was a known issue.

Heat cycled it, a few times, and emptied the flushing oil and water out, for the good stuff. All done the past few days.
Set about fixing error codes:
A/C pressure switch
Siren internal batteries dead
Airbag igniter Drivers side
...Guessed clockspring, but was pinched wires. insulated and cleared codes..all good.
Start it to test A/c switch and sounds like a bag of spanners. Sounds like it's misfiring like crazy.
No MIL, check Measuring Block and no misfires detected. No error codes for engine. No failed cam/crank sensors....no lack of fuel...
Any ideas?

Only thing I did was an 'actuator test' which basically tests solenoid in engine: evap, purge, etc, and injectors. All clicked normally.
Then on restart....bricks in a cement mixer!! Sounds like the VVTs have adjusted themselves 'out', but have not returned.
Any advise how to resolve/reset? Got the etka manual, which says: engine electrs>MVB>90 when engine idling'CS-ctrl OFF' and both banks -3 to 6 CA. And when driving 'CS-ctrl ON' and 16 to 25 CA.
Problem is i'm refurbing wheels, and doubt it would move at all!

Try posting in the C5 section, someone with more knowledge of the engine may be able to help, also you could try posting on the A4 B5 section as they use the same engine.

Reactions: Leo Komninos