Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

Dont know how far you are with the story Ju but the bill hit £4300 following the fitment of cam sprockets on Friday and it put up the same fault code on Sat...so its back in the garage today but to be honest..they haven't really got a clue and i have 2 sprockets i didn't need...

OMG £4300 and it's still not fixed!!!!! Respect to you for biting the bullet and sticking it into the dealers with an open cheque book! But my god do they actually care that it's your hard earned cash that's funding their play scheme?

LOL...they keep telling me how i have a discount and it should be a lot more..Can you believe that they have stripped it down twice now and even charged me for 2 lots of water for the rad...Another £24 !!

I can understand that something like this can be hard to diagnose, I mean look how long it took us to find the hesitation cure, but c'mon I think they need to have a reality check AND a lot of goodwill when it comes to something like this. You put your faith in the brand when originally buying the car and they should realise it's not all about extracting as much dosh out of the customer as humanly possible.
Do they not know how to catch and re-use the coolant then or is that not in the instructions?
Best of luck, I'm sure you'll keep us informed

Paddy...get angry with them, you have been really patient up to now but how far can this go cost wise! And do that email to Jezza Hicks!

I d0 take on board you comments..but..The dealers have cocked up. I need to give them a chance to put that right. rubbing them up the wrong way will not help. If it all goes tits up which it may..I want to be in a position where i can go to Audi and say i have been calm , patient and cooperative. I dont want the dealer to have the opportunity to say i have been anything but a model customer. I also dont want Audi to think i am complaining to them without first exhausting diplomacy with the dealer . Its long winded but i am stacking the cards in my favour. If Audi will not see this right i will go to the motoring press or pass it to the AA ( I learnt very quickly you dont own a Audi without AA relay)
I am slow into action but once riled I will win.

I d0 take on board you comments..but..The dealers have cocked up. I need to give them a chance to put that right. rubbing them up the wrong way will not help. If it all goes tits up which it may..I want to be in a position where i can go to Audi and say i have been calm , patient and cooperative. I dont want the dealer to have the opportunity to say i have been anything but a model customer. I also dont want Audi to think i am complaining to them without first exhausting diplomacy with the dealer . Its long winded but i am stacking the cards in my favour. If Audi will not see this right i will go to the motoring press or pass it to the AA ( I learnt very quickly you dont own a Audi without AA relay)
I am slow into action but once riled I will win.

:respekt: Now you've explained that I totally :iagree:

Another quick update, have contacted Portsmouth Audi and spoken to a master technician that was mentioned earlier in this post regarding the update that he himself has carried out and got the following response via e-mail...

"The only way to know what software version your ecu has in it would be to plug the vehicle in and read the info from it.

First we would find out if there is an issue with the car or if you just wanted to take the engine ecu to the latest level, but yes there is a charge for this which would be £98 +VAT, this would include a running check on all the fault memories and updating the engine ecu if required, should it take less time to find out any of the relevant information then you would only get charged accordingly.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to book the car in or if I can help in any way."

Does this mean that he is willing to waive the initial diagnostics that EVERY other dealers seem to be so insistant on and just install the update to the ECU and charge me accordingly?!

I don't want to turn up and then they decide to tell me that the latest ECU update is not needed (I do not know what version I am currently running), refuse to install it and then charge me for what in essence would be a VAG-COM scan.

Nice One!

Ryan

Last edited:
I doubt you would have the latest ECU map on there Ryan, edition had a brand new ECU fitted and even that had old software on. The only problem that could crop up in my opinion is that you don't have the correct ECU to start with and the only way to find that out is to have a scan.
Unfortunately the dealers have us all over a barrell as they have to do the update, but if you take the rights and wrongs of that out of the equation, it is still the single best thing that you can do to your car so is worth the effort and cost.
For what it's worth I didn't have a diagnostic done as I insisted on the update. Just get the master tech out to listen to your car in the carpark. I find that things like this are best discussed face to face so just do it mate!

Julian

Portsmouth Audi were not willing to just do the update - I had to pay an hours labour for the fault scan etc even though I knew this wouldn't show anything. Craig was very helpful although I didn't get to speak to him on the day, just dealt with the service desk which isn't ideal.

OK..quick update for those who have not died of boredom.

A very happy tech rang on Friday to say they have now found the 3.2 has 2..yes 2 cam chain tensioners. and they replaced just the 1......God help us....its only been a month now. He is sure that if he replaces the 2nd one we will be fine... So did we need the £2000+ sprockets fitted ??
Who knows ?? Who cares any more ??

Portsmouth Audi were not willing to just do the update - I had to pay an hours labour for the fault scan etc even though I knew this wouldn't show anything. Craig was very helpful although I didn't get to speak to him on the day, just dealt with the service desk which isn't ideal.

I have spoken to Craig regading this and he seems more than happy forme to just pay the labour charge incurred when installing the update (circa 60+VAT). I even have this in an e-mail so heres hoping!

Ryan

Thanks good news mate. When you getting it done? Cheers

Not too sure yet mate, both Craig and myself are away at the beginning of June so will probably leave it till mid June so that I know he will be there to deal with!!

Not too sure yet mate, both Craig and myself are away at the beginning of June so will probably leave it till mid June so that I know he will be there to deal with!!

Sounds good. You will notice the difference instantly. I have had mine a few weeks and the car is great. so much smoother to drive. I have also been checking fuel consumption and after 2 full tanks I am 3-4mpg better off. Easily getting 31-33 on motorway where i was getting 27-29 local is up too. So am very please with it. Yeah it drinks when you give it some real stick but sometimes you just cruise:icon_thumright:

Hiya Guys.

Spoken to my local Audi and they just dont want to know. They certainly disagree with a CD type update. If possible (and ive PMd some already) can you either on here or via PM, let me know which Audi Dealer did your flash, roughly when and if possible the reg please. My local Audi did say if I get details like this then they will speak to some other dealerships. Really appreciate any info as mine is getting worse and I know its easily cured.
thanks in advance. x

Hey Sarah,

I know I am not going to be of much help yet but mine is booked in @ Portsmouth Audi next Fri (25th June). The guy I am dealing with seems really helpful and is more than willing to just let me pay for the software update.

Guess will find out what happens when I get down there on Fri.

Will keep you informed if you wish.

Ryan

Are you lucky then and not need a new ECU like I did to get the update?

Hey Sarah,

I know I am not going to be of much help yet but mine is booked in @ Portsmouth Audi next Fri (25th June). The guy I am dealing with seems really helpful and is more than willing to just let me pay for the software update.

Guess will find out what happens when I get down there on Fri.

Will keep you informed if you wish.

Ryan

yes please, really appreciate it. Think I will call in mine later today and try again..... (doesnt help im female telling them something they dont know, they get arsey!)

Its weird hey, if it were me in there role I would feel pretty embarresed if clients knew more than them..... I would at least try and rush it through!

Are you lucky then and not need a new ECU like I did to get the update?

I don't know yet to be honest with you, from reading the earlier posts it says that the update is available for BDB engine codes so assume that mine should be ok.

Audi haven't said that the update is not available so will just have to wait till Fri!!

yes please, really appreciate it. Think I will call in mine later today and try again..... (doesnt help im female telling them something they dont know, they get arsey!)

You're more than welcome anything to help.........(well in exchange for some more pics anywho :hubbahubba: LOL!!)
I couldn't use my local dealers as either they wouldn't acknowlegde the update or wanted to run diagnostic checks at extra cost first, luckily Pompy Audi is only an hour and half drive so not too bad.

Jon any chance you would give me your details (Reg, date update installed etc..) incase it all goes tits up when I am there, would be good if I can give them the details of one they have carried out recently.

Cheers

I don't know yet to be honest with you, from reading the earlier posts it says that the update is available for BDB engine codes so assume that mine should be ok.

Audi haven't said that the update is not available so will just have to wait till Fri!!

Mines a BDB engine code too. This thread stated 'Engines: starting from 8/2003 BDB' so hopefully they are covered!

You're more than welcome anything to help.........(well in exchange for some more pics anywho :hubbahubba: LOL!!)
I couldn't use my local dealers as either they wouldn't acknowlegde the update or wanted to run diagnostic checks at extra cost first, luckily Pompy Audi is only an hour and half drive so not too bad.

lol, they aint that good! (But would be good getting some good pics with the car haa haa)
Well think im like you, if the local wont play ball, i'll have to travel to one thats done it, hence another reason for my question. Think Huddersfield did it but cant remember!

lol, they aint that good! (But would be good getting some good pics with the car haa haa)
Well think im like you, if the local wont play ball, i'll have to travel to one thats done it, hence another reason for my question. Think Huddersfield did it but cant remember!

Are you serious ?!
1) you're not sitting where I am sitting, bodywork looks in fine condition to me
2) If you're offering to send me pics with the car in exchange for my help then PM me :) or you could always use my car!!

Huddersfield rings a bell from another post on this forum but I cant remember the member that posted it......sorry

lol, nooooooo, lol I meant I want to do good pics of my car lol! Id stay out of them, got enough pics of me lol, anyway....

Yeh I thought Huddersfied but wasnt sure, cheers

Last edited:
Lets not change the subject so quickly babe :) Who's got enough pics of you?!

So you wouldn't be willing to use my car then :( DAMN!!

Huddersfield is where Julian got his done. I bought mine from Huddersfield and they did seem quite good.

Too be fair though you local dealer can do it so just go in and dont accept no!

yes change the subject! lol.....

I need my hesitation sorted lol, its bugging me.

Oh ok :( I'll leave now with my tail between my legs!!

Will keep you updated on my progress come next Fri!

Good luck on getting your hesitation sorted......have heard that problem can be nasty :)

QUOTE]

lol, im laughing here! All good fun.

Yes do let me know how you get on. Audi have quickly rung me to say she is looking into it so you never know. Fingers crossed as it would be easier locally. Its more annoying than nasty but has got a bit worse. May even need the chains doing in the near future too as they may be an issue soon. Hey ho, never be rich!

Well if you need a bed near Huddersfield/Harrogate/Leeds just give me a call :ninja::yum:

:slapped:

QUOTE]

lol, im laughing here! All good fun.

Yes do let me know how you get on. Audi have quickly rung me to say she is looking into it so you never know. Fingers crossed as it would be easier locally. Its more annoying than nasty but has got a bit worse. May even need the chains doing in the near future too as they may be an issue soon. Hey ho, never be rich!

Well i thought it was my tail.............