Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

if you have a torch it should be. the only thing in the way of it is the inlet pipe onto the TB.

Definately not placebo effect. My car is notably smoother, and pulls a lot stronger low down the range.

its directly below the throttle body attaching to the engine block just above the gearbox.

****** it seems the good cars show the same cylinder volage difference between the 2 banks.

truthfully since fitting that earth strap my car now behave impeccably when driving, and thats all i want really.

What did you replace the standard one with ? I assume taking to an Audi dealer is a waste of time as they will fit a new part that is identical ?

Does it look like it's been damaged, metal fatigue or corroded off?

yes paddy it is. the fuel economy is still rubbish, but you can audibly hear the difference in the engine now, its snarly again at at 2.5k rpm, and the pickup is much brisker.

I havent checked the idle 2k rpm test, i will do that at dinner time

Hi,

Just had alook at mine and are we talking about a round say 5mm bar that is looped at each end, connecting the downpipe to the gearbox?

Cheers

Yeah, that's it Jonathon. Have ordered a replacement for mine as it's missing! about £8 with the required bolts etc.

On a side note, just did the top mounts today :thumbsup:

Ah cool mines still there and looks pretty much new...

Glad top mounts were ok. They easy enough to fit?

Wow over 2 nights i have been reading this, cant believe audi are not doing R+D on this.
After reading this i too believe the fault was with the audi map, due to the r32 one, well done for you guys sticking with it, but since replacing this earth strap as it completely cured it, as i am not convinced for some reason this was at fault. The scope for me is the best way of diagnosing anything as its REALLY live data that is capeable of reading anything automotive, so when you are talking about pre cat lambda senors they are known as wideband/or broadband sensors, and they work completely differnetly to post cat which are zericona sensor's only really for monitoring the effeciency of the cat and very rarely fuel trim. The broadband sensor works at much faster rate and for anyone thinking that there's is at fault then get yourself booked in at a garage that as a scope (like the one i work at for the next week or so lol) please dont go throwing your money away at parts there are people at there that can help.
My car is ok as i tested it when i brougt it but i suppose i cant expect it for long lol
I am opening my own garage up in the next six weeks and would be willing to have a look at anyone's car if your problems carry on.

Hi Lee...welcome to the club ;) the one thing that makes me think this is not map is the fact that they all run ok at first start up...they get worse as they get warm. I am now looking at closed circuit breathing and crankcase pressure etc...the symtoms are what i would expect with an air leak...
We will get there in the end :)

hey guys just read most of this thread and im enthralled! 2005 plate done 54000 miles, been doing it since about 45000, had spark plugs done at 48000 (slight improvement) and fuel filter done at 52000 (as part of a full service, negligable improvement).

i find that it judders when cruising at 2k rpm, revs jump about when held trying to hold at 2k rpm, and at idle you can feel the engine vibrating/juddering. It varies from day to day how bad it is, but doesn't seem to get any better when the engine comes off choke. not had an engine warning lights come on.

the only other symptom i can think of that i didnt see anyone else mention is that the valve in the tail pipe which closes at low throttle/engine speeds is no longer working. The way this valve works is that it meters the vacuum generated by the inlet manifold to determine how much power the engine is making. If the valve in the exhaust isnt working it stands to reason that there is a vacuum leak, making the exhaust valve think the car is always on full throttle.

Since a few other people have mentioned this i would say its definitely worth changing, i've just not got round to finding out which vacuum pipe would need changing. I'm definitely going to have a poke around for that earthing strap on the exhaust since it looks to be a simple fix if its broken!!

I'm definitely going to have a poke around for that earthing strap on the exhaust since it looks to be a simple fix if its broken!!

Don't bother mate, I replaced the missing one on mine at the weekend and as I suspected there is no difference to the car either by seat of the pants judging or looking at the figures!

Mine still runs well at the moment though, but when it does it the scenario that makes it feel worse is downhill on light throttle (i.e on cruise control)

I dont have that exhaust flap since i changed the back box. I cable tied the vacuum unit under the bumper. If i can find the take off point on the manifold i will blank it off and see.

strap was fine, where abouts is the vacuum point for the tail pipe valve?

only a thought but would it be possible for say 5 people with similar symptoms and 5 people without to lend cars to audi for a week or so to find out what is different between the good and bad cars? Obviously in exchange i would expect free repair!

I can say 95% it's not the fact you have disconnected the exhaust flap pipe....... Mine does this hesitancy intermitantly and it has for some time....

I have blanked the tail pipe valve pipe and this made no effect to the hesitancy........... Just made it slighly deeper sounding around town....

The one thing that makes me think its a map is that this is very common, the r32 suffered with it, and nearly everything remotely possible as been replaced by one of the other members. Therefore there is not alot left and what is left i cant see making a difference. Did anyone have a go at replacing the post cat lambda sensor's ?

Coxy...my exhaust vacuum pipe is not open..the vacuum lifter is still attached, its just not lifting anything. cheers anyway :)

PS.... do the coil pack just pull off the plugs ?

Yes paddy they do, just bear in mind that they are slightly angled, 3 one way and 3 the other as per the cylinders.
I checked all mine with a spare and they are OK, not saying yours are though judging by your fault codes lol!

I'm going to do the plugs Ju working on the assumption that the car was fine before its last long life service...

just for a bit of an experiment i disconnected the vacuum metering unit today (fitted inline between the inlet manifold and the vacuum canister, got some wiring loom coming off it) with the engine running and straight away got an engine management light on, but the car ran exactly the same. hopefully this means my issues with the exhaust valve are related to a vacuum leak, similar to others here, meaning a simple vacuum hose change may help. to my knowledge, inlet manifold vacuum should play a big part in how an ecu runs a car on idle. im going to try a few more things with this vacuum unit tomorrow in an attempt to see whats what.

reconnected the loom and drove about 15 miles in 4 journeys and light switched itself off.

i'm tempted to do the same with knock sensors, lambda sensors etc, as the ecu SHOULD revert to a master setting when the sensor is disconnected. if the sensor that is remove is playing up, the master setting the ecu reverts to should make the engine run better.

also, further to other's comments, i have noticed a small exhaust leak near the flexi section. next service (due in about 4000 miles) i will be finding this leak, removing the manifold and welding up the hole. i'm in no position to spend over £1000 on an exhaust!

Does anybody know wether the mk4 or mk5 R32 downpipe is the same?? Seem to be lots of crashed ones being broken atm......

Had a look on Etka Jonathon and they do look different.

On another note, I've been looking through some German forums (very difficult when you don't speak it lol!) and there is a software update for the 3.2 V6 that was released to address both rough idling AND jerky no-load operation! check it out HERE scroll down to post 2.

Anyone know where the temp sensor is ?? I'm told the first thing the ECU looks at on start up is the reading from the temp sensor and i wonder if thats my starting on 3 cyl fault..

Cant get the link to work Ju ?

Works fine for me Paddy but here's the post:-
Software update of the controller (Motronic) of the VR6 3.2-Liter engine

over an update the control software some well-known smaller lack are repaired such as Motorruckeln, jerky no-load operation, power loss within the final range etc..
AUDI puts this software to its workshops at the disposal.

Many forum members had themselves already up-played the update with success. They report throughout nearly all of better fuel intake with accelerating, to more force development in the passage, better sound (more full of seeds and deep sonor), as well as being omitted the power loss.

Which engines/controllers can be updated?

Engines:
starting from 8/2003 BDB
starting from 9/2004 BMJ
starting from 11/2005 BOY (only the first variants)

The following engine expensive devices can be updated:
022906032CA
022906032CB
022906032GH
022906032GJ

Last conditions available for the dealers:
022,906,032 APPROX.: 8P HS (BDB): 8087
022,906,032 CB: 8P DSG (BDB): 8088
022,906,032 GH: 8P HS (BMJ): 8035
022,906,032 GJ: 8P DSG (BMJ): 8036

What do I say to the dealer?
You heard that AUDI a software update makes available for the VR6 3.2-Liter-Motoren, which the Motorruckeln, vibrating, jerky no-load operation and power loss are to repair.

What, if it does not know or finds the update?
Give it the TPL procedure number: 2005748/4
Internal message code 8P01A005 or the updates CD No. 4F0 906,961 N is needed
Thus a good dealer can always which with begin

How is the update up-played?
By means of diagnostic system of the dealer

What costs me the update?
The car is not still in the guarantee period might costs develop. He is not outside of the guarantee period a good dealer anything will require. Usually become with a strange dealer around the 50. - Euro requires, what corresponds to a work expended of approx. 20-30 minutes.

How long does the update last?
Usually not longer than 30 minutes

For what does the dealer need the internal message code?
Explanation GeKo and SVM
With GeKo and SVM you know on-line binding of its diagnose unit VAS 5052 to the central servers the AUDI AG would drive through and the capacity of your diagnose unit to thus extend.

What is GeKo?
GeKo (secret and component protection) is a function, those with on-line binding of the diagnostic tester VAS 5052 the users for the order stands and training going away barrier components (e.g. Combination instrument, engine expensive equipment), keys and the component protection (air conditioner, navigation etc.) to the vehicle makes possible.

What is SVM?
SVM (software version management) is a further function, which is made available with on-line binding of the diagnostic tester VAS 5052. Thus a process-safe controller programming as well as the correct controller sheeting are made possible. The function offers additionally a support with the coding of controllers.

Perhaps helps the following info. in or others
smilie.gif
on the update leaps. There is information system - which also well-known as
smilie.gif
Elsawin under technical problem solution the following procedure in the electronic service:

A3 3.2 VR6 Lambdasonde with error registration and the procedure number 2010154/1.

The following stands there in it:
Problem description: Engine check lamp shines.
In the engine expensive equipment the error is P2626 or P2629 put down is called that the Lambdasondenheizung is defective and the Lambdasonde must be renewed.

A cause
By a software fault (Pfui!
surprised.gif
) the Lambdasonde under certain circumstances is too fast heated and can be damaged thereby.
Series-solution
Conversion to the new engine often commodity starting from chassis number WAUZZZ 8P % 6 A 073016

Solution
Please the defective Lambdasonde renews and the engine expensive equipment with the internal message code 8P01A005 on-line one, or with the CD 4F0 906,961 N updates.

The following engine expensive devices can be updated:

022906032CA
022906032CB
022906032GH
022906032GJ

We do not have the descriptive problem fortunately, but there is firmware and/or software update in such a way für's the engine expensive equipment! And additionally also still the Lambdasonde is preserved (of it to hammer believe I two!).

Tanzen.gif

Edit: that is the procedure number and the text with a BMJ engine - in a general manner engine might be the same text, perhaps even the same procedure number with the BDB.

There is approximately further information around the update here generally speaking update Thread

My software is currently 7001

Thanks Ju...links working now so problem must have been my end. when i last took my car in with this problem they said they had checked for updates as i mentioned that the r32 had an update. My engine starts.. BDB

It's on vag com when you go into the engine module, after the Motronic ME7.1 etc.

Just been down to Audi and as you say there are no updates showing on the system but I took a printout down and the CD is available to order for £1.87 + vat.
They are going to order it in and as long as I sign a disclaimer and pay for the time spent, they will try and do it next weekend.

Does looks interesting though when you read through the thread as it mentions that it leans out the fueling helping to control lambda and knock control whilst giving better fuel consumption and smoother running

There is also mention in another 115 page thread regarding chain lengthening that there is too much ignition built into the map causing uneven running on light throttle under 2k rpm, which in turn puts extra pressure on the chain.

See post 2236 by Zoran HERE

Exactly the same symptoms as I have/had, I'm thinking the mystery is now starting to unravel:yes:

Last edited:
Hi,

mine does the exact same thing on occations (the noise he is talking about....)

so what do we think for a solution???

I think this is it!!