Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

paddy i think we may have either different problems or yours is just a lot worse than mine.
mine doesnt jump about that much i dont think? its at its worst on mine when i try to maintain 1900rpm, but its not that it jumps about so much as moves past it, then I back off and drops below it. Its as if there isnt a throttle position that will hold that rpm.

We need a 3.2 meet...... maybe a rolling road session.....

voltage from the 12v+ in the engine bay to the earth on the block in the coil wiring is showing 14.3v at tickover, so i guess thats that one ruled out. only other earth issue could be the ecu earth, as that was showing less volts, but we dont know how accurate vagcom is. I would like to think it wasnt that innacurate, otherwise its not very good is it!

Been thinking along them lines for a while. I was going to drop the sump and look at the pump but it went in for the chains doing before I got chance.
I'm still trying to work out how the oil gets to the VVT's and the control mechanism for doing it.
Looks a mare though to get a pressure reading as you have to fit a guage to the filter housing and would probably be easier to drop the sump and just change the pump!
V6Pete has had his chains changed and ALSO the pump and his has come back A1.

I dont think its the pump or the VVt and i dont think Pete's problem was the same as ours. there is no reason why this problem would be a lot worse stationary than under load if it was the pump. also no reason why it would be ok on "choke" if it was the pump or a dozen other things. My car drives like a new car except for the 2k rpm hesitation. But stationary its barely on 5cyl at 2-3krpm and above now. You have to assume its load related and the variables then are spark and fuel. I am convinced this is not mechanical because there is no evidence that it is. All the work coxy has done as well a Ju leaves very little left mechanical anyway. ECU next ??

i think the problem exists at the same throttle position when you are moving. the cars rev cleanly, so under load when you are putting your foot down its fine.
on light throttle openings at 2k you can feel a slight driveline shunt, thats it.

My car no longer revs cleanly at a halt.......it did but its getting worse by the week now. It ticks over fine on 6 but i swear its on 5 when you rev it. OK when its first started for a couple of minutes until the choke goes off. drives fine on 6 though

Just been out and rev'd mine.

It does sound like its slightly missing when you put it upto 2kish on the drive.......

Drives ok tho..... Havent really noticed b4 as i dont really tend to rev to 2k for no reason!

On another note on the drive if you rev it hard fast (i.e blips) its fine sounds uber smooth....

How do you save blocks ? I have very different voltages on cylinders when knock sensor settings are on .also getting intermittent communication message with engine control module. i went through loads of block tests and saved the readings i thought but i cant now find them :))

If you saved them Paddy, they'll be there! Go in through My Computer/Local Disc/Ross Tech etc. etc. and then find you'll see the folder Logs.

Found them thanks....
Using blocks 15 i have a misfire on No.1.. Looking down the time column it ran for 17sec and took 63 readings and the misfire count is "1" in each of the time readings.

does that mean 1 misfire in the 17 sec or 1 misfire in each readings ie 63 misfires in 17 seconds ?

Not sure tbh. l've run that test and it came up clear. So have you got any fault codes?

I have never had fault codes but now i have loads !! silly things like drivers side electric motor for window...it works fine though. auto box not comunicating with engine....thats works fine as well...
I do have intermittent contact with engine Module ....as its now booked in for the 23rd i will leave it i think......

You do get loads of fault codes if you auto scan with the ignition off, maybe that's what you did?

Just been to test drive a Carrera 4 cab.....
Makes you realise what a ****** nice car the 3.2 A4 is !! just a huge shame its not reiable....and Audi insist that the owners do their own R&D at their own expense.

You do get loads of fault codes if you auto scan with the ignition off, maybe that's what you did?

I might be stupid...but not that stupid :)

today i have a fault code telling me the " glow plugs" are shorting out !!

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Part No SW: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 5604
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: AUX7Z0D2FN40HY
Coding: 0000178
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 08192
1 Fault Found:
18025 - Glow Plug Pre-Heat Indicator (K29): Open or Short to Ground
P1617 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0110 1101

Was is a 996? You will be thinking your A3 is reliable if you got one!

Yup a 996

Strange but however much i hate this 3.2 its ****** difficult to find something better. you get back in it and think...this is really a nice thing !!

hi, guy's if it's any consulation, over the last 4- 6 wks i've road tested 6 x 3.2 sports back, a couple of dsg's & the rest. including the one i finaly bought on friday, all have this problem @ 2k. any one got" audi theory" on this problem as it seems to be wide spread

That's interesting Glenn but not a surprise really, sounds like it could all be down to an inherent design fault that seems to get worse with the mileage. Out of interest what sort of mileages/year were the cars you looked at and are you saying you're new car is also doing this?
We really could do with a donor car that's still in warranty.

hi, guy's if it's any consulation, over the last 4- 6 wks i've road tested 6 x 3.2 sports back, a couple of dsg's & the rest. including the one i finaly bought on friday, all have this problem @ 2k. any one got" audi theory" on this problem as it seems to be wide spread

Welcome to the club Glenn....I dont think Audi have a theory on this...its down to us.:faint:

That's interesting Glenn but not a surprise really, sounds like it could all be down to an inherent design fault that seems to get worse with the mileage. Out of interest what sort of mileages/year were the cars you looked at and are you saying you're new car is also doing this?
We really could do with a donor car that's still in warranty.
The car's i road tested were all indepentant garages- 54/05/56 plate, lowest mileage was the one i bought 05 with 57k , tested acouple late 60k & 1 with 85k but in fairnes.they all drove vary much the same, obviuosly some were tatty , no service history etc. mine. well as you say hesitant at 2k & can't seem to hold the rev's bang on 2k, with a bit of a flutter ,but then fine there after, only bit of niggle i'm finding and i don't no if it's me or the car, but when you set off 1st gear to 2nd building up speed hitting the 2k on the rev's with the hesitation i'm finding 1st/2nd gear a bit notchy,i willprobabley give it till after xmas & will approach the main dealer i bought it from under the warranty. unfortnatly it's a toyota garage, but on good note audi are next door. anyway i'm still getting used to car,with it been a manule, as my toyota supra tt [uk spec] for the last 5 yrs was an auto, the supra was ultra reliable, just hope the audi in the same league, will get some pic's up soon. and any info from you guy's at any time would be gratefuly recieved :)

car's going back to garage on wedseday.found a very small coolant leak,just below bottom hose. although it looks fairly dry down there, so @ the same time i mentioned the the hesitation @ 2k, so will keep you posted, the bad news is i'm going away thursday and was hoping to put the car through it's paces, i just hope the leak is something trevial.are there any known weak points coolant area?

when i took my front end off to do the chains, I discovered the rad was completely ******.
Cost me 80 quid for a new one.

Had a run up the road last night, sitting at a steady 85mph the car was returning 23.5mpg - that cant be right can it? thats awful!

Mine is now missing and hunting from 1500rpm upwards on the road. I am convinced this is electrical becuse this morning when i started it up the revs jumped about from 1500 -2000 rpm on tick over, sometimes almost stalling and then reving up again. As it came off choke it did the same thing but at lower revs so i dont think its advance ****** now but as it was undrivable i switched off and re started and it then ran fine......
I bet this is the start of a failing ECU, not the map but a componant...

Incidentally even when its at its worst there is no engine management light..

Will have to be the weekend mate...i go to work in the dark and come home in the dark and dont have a garage.

Cheers

im new to the audi scene i hope mines doesnt do this !!!!!!!

lol...this is the second Xmas i have had to rent a car just to get home.

Trouble is Audi give you a loan car but if they find so much as a stone chip on it you lose you £500 excess. I have been caught before....cheaper to hire a car.

Audi have alwasy been really good for me on loan cars. Went to le mans in an A6 of theres. Asked and said is that ok... they said fine :)

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I take it this is definitely not an emissions issue. My 04 3.2 manual had a very very slight hesitation whereas in my 05 DSG its more pronounced. IIRC the 04 put out over 255grams / km whereas the 05 puts out around 230 grams?

If they are he same engines then the savings must have been made somewhere. And isn't 1800rpm where the fast idle is for MOT tests?

BTW, I think DSG exaggerates the hesitation because its set to run as standard on the most economical program, resulting in early changes even at small throttle inputs.

Regards

Rob

Trouble is Rob most cars dont do it till about 40k so there must be a reason. At 36k my car showed no signs of it. Then it had a service and its got steadily worse until now at 41k its bad enough to make me sell up if Audi cant sort it.