Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

I's not the MAF sensor as I had a new one 3 months ago to try and cure it. You can unplug the MAF and the ECU will revert to preset values and will run more or less OK, but the problem is still there!
It's interesting that the problem is not there on cold start up, which to me does point to a fuel mixture.
Is the pressure regulator on the fuel filter electrically operated? Think I'll change mine anyway as it's not expensive, easy to do and can only be beneficial.

Yeah, I realise that now. I fitted a new filter yesterday but it didn't come with the pressure regulator and i didn't know that until I fitted it. However just changing the filter has made zero difference to the car. I might see if I can get the regulator by itself, but tbh I can't see it making a difference!

eh? so you fitted a fuel filter with no regulator in it? that would mean your fuel pressure would not be refulated at all and be the max of what the pump can produce? that cant be right?

it seems the only person who has managed to cure the problem has changed the oil pump....

Hi all,

Have been reading through this post as i have just started getting misfire at 2K rpm too. I have a 54 reg 3.2 manual. It started after car had been sat covered in snow for 2 weeks without being driven. Fired it up yesterday and it doesnt idle right (feel judder through car) and when i try to accelerate through 2K it misfires and judders like hell. Seems fine once past 3K. Mine has done 77K and just had full service with plugs etc less than 1K ago. Gonna WD40 plugs and leads tonight to see if moisture is prob after being sat for 2 weeks. Got it booked into Audi MAnchester on friday anyway to get checked out. Will post back with results.

Cheers

eh? so you fitted a fuel filter with no regulator in it? that would mean your fuel pressure would not be refulated at all and be the max of what the pump can produce? that cant be right?

it seems the only person who has managed to cure the problem has changed the oil pump....

No, the regulator is the small valve that is connected to the filter by the locking pin, I just used the old one.
As for the oil pump, if you mean V6Pete then there was no mention of the oil pump in the list of parts he posted up!

yours must be different to mine. mine was all self contained and had three pipes coming out of it. and my filter had '3BAR' stamped on it.

also i am certain v6pete replaced his oil pump because i asked him about it! just cant find the post at the moment.

Nah, I got mine for a tenner so I'm not surprised it's half missing lol!
Just waiting for a call back from Audi for a price.

It's the right bit, I asked for a filter and thats what I got. I was under the impression the regular was part of it.

Just a thought, I noticed when starting my 3.2 up the last couple of times in this cold weather that the revs have been a little all over the place bouncing arround when accelerating but fine over 2k untill its warmed up assuming that this is just the auto choke, could this possibly be the problem with the cars that are having these problems with the erratic revs? Very simple and obvious I know??

Just a thought?

Without a doubt TAC, mine is the same. it looks very much like a mixture problem.

My point being that on mine its all one piece. You cant buy the filter seperate. Your car must be different to mine.

Been down to Audi and bought the genuine filter and indeed it does come complete now, however l don't think it's made any difference (It also actually says 4bar on it not 3 though)
Mines also VERY lumpy cold start for about 5-10 seconds at the moment, even cutting out sometimes.

You got the part number Julian? and how much was it from Audi?

You got the part number Julian? and how much was it from Audi?
Yes Jonathan, it's p/n: 6Q0201051C and it cost £22.14. It's dead easy to change once you've figured out how the pipes come off!

Cheers paddy!!! Can't open it here as stupid laptop is messing me about!

Julian cheers for that! Do you need to clamp the pipes or anything? Can you see if the filter was dirty?

Also are they a scheduled item for service???

From what i can make out fuel filters are only changed on the diesels.

J..attach should open with Word. If not let me know and i will re send.

last week,car went in under warranty [a] new rad new plugs to start with then to sort hesitation @2k,at idle & at 2k-30mph causing hunting. picked car up .rad done, plugs fitted. hesitation still there . massive row ,with technition.as he says service manager never told him about hesitation.techi is ex audi, and started to bull s**t, sat him in car and try'd to hold 2k,then took him out @30mph/2k & hunting. buy this time sevice managers appeard red faced & main director,technicians telling them @ stand still, holding @ approx 2k it's not hesitation but engine" note" changing do to flap in rear exhaust opening @ 2k. cars going back with the main mans word he will have my car running right, what ever it takes. going on what you guys have done to try and correct this issue. i can't wait to see what they come up with. now i have spoken with someone quoting the above,the flap in rear exaust which works on a solinoied @ 2k and maybe on moving @30mph/2k is not opening enough and is causing back pressure, causing car to hunt,where as when under load your driving through 2k. now any one running a after market exhauste & still have the fault,to blow this theroy out of the water

Sorry but i fitted a Remus back box without the flap just before my last visit to Audi...made no difference :-( the car then produced 251bhp on the rollers but the 2k hesitation is just as it always was.

well ,i don't know what to do now.on one hand -car has a warranty for 12 months & and the word of the main man of garage [dealership] that he will make it happen ie sort hesitation out.but as you guys have said,you've basicaly changed all the parts you would hope would fix this problem to no avail, so what would i gain ,some new components but also they could make my car worse, in the fact, cocking something else along the way. which will amount car spending more time with garage than with me. Or just run car, basicaly yes theres a hesitation/change in exhaust note & yes at 30 mph/2k revs a bit of kangeroo. but by reading all of your thread,i think in mind my miniscule faults have been amplified by your comments on this anoying & on going problems .decisions dicisions

Doubt they could make it worse mate, I would stick with it and see what they come up with, bearing in mind what we have already changed. As you say, it is a small niggle, but sometimes it really grates on you and I'm sure the mpg is suffering as a result too.
Is it an Audi dealer, I can't remember if you said?

Julian cheers for that! Do you need to clamp the pipes or anything? Can you see if the filter was dirty?

I didn't clamp the pipes as I had no means to do it, you will get some petrol coming out as it's under pressure, so don't smoke while you're doing it lol! and tbh I can't tell if it was dirty or not although it was the original filter.

toyota-lexus dealer, although audi garage is a 20 sec walk away.toyota have stated if they can't sort it will have to go to audi. i guess there trying to save on cost. talking of mpg ,done 400 mile round trip,used opti-max one way averaged 20. 5 mpg .on way back odinary un-leaded 24mpg. but even driving sedatly , best i've achieved 27.5

forgot to say. the day after i returnd from garage,had the garage come back to me [a] to appoligies to say there investigating how i was let down. [c] they had been on to audi asking about fault, audi said 2k idle was engine note change but traveling at 30mph/2k rev they know about and it is maf. which toyota said the thought it might be.lol- we will see

Glen
Why not ask the main man to read this thread and see what he thinks before he even starts any work ? Inotice you keep saying 30mph/2k rpm....do you mean 50mph/2k rpm ?

Yeah, I got mine from a Mercedes dealer and they prated about with independents for the best part of three months before eventually after a bit of persuasion, it went to Audi. In the end it cost them £2k for a timing chain on top of other previous costs, which didn't solve the hesitation, but did cure the noisy rattle!

I would say that was pretty poor mpg for a run. Most you can expect mpg wise would be 35ish on the motorway with low 20's around town.

audi said 2k idle was engine note change but traveling at 30mph/2k rev they know about and it is maf. which toyota said the thought it might be.lol- we will see

MAF didn't cure mine, unless the new MAF was faulty too!

Yup
a regular journey for me is Dorking/M25/M11/A14Norwich/Cromer and i ave 30+mpg keeping under 90mph and about 200miles/ 3.5 hours

Glen
Why not ask the main man to read this thread and see what he thinks before he even starts any work ? Inotice you keep saying 30mph/2k rpm....do you mean 50mph/2k rpm ?

30-35mph @ 1800-2k in 4th town speed limit then you get hunnting feeling this is on level road. up hill under load does'nt appear to be a problem. i don't want to tell them about this thread as they be incline to say like audi theres no fault & you should'nt take any notice of owners club as there seen to be scoure munngerers [ actualy this was said to me by my local audi dealers master technician when i ask was this some thing that happened to 3.2's] as for mpg. the harder i push the better the mpg .crazy as it seems.perhaps maf

Has anybody thought it might be a good idea to e-mail this thread to Audi Uk and tell them of the majority of 3.2 owners issues.......

I cant see anyone at Audi being interested enough to read thru this lot !!!. I wouldn't be surprised if they know of the fault and are keeping quiet. Thats prob why they ended the A3 3.2 and kept it in the A4/A5/A6 !!

glen, thems identical mpg figures to mine, and an identical problem too. I have changed my maf for a known good one from another 3.2 without that problem, and the problem persists on my car. in addition to that i have changed: all chain comonents, water pump (just cos i was there), swapped out coils, fuel filter, spark plugs, and I am sure some other stuff which i cant remember about now lol

So the fuel filter didn't end up sorting it Coxy?

What else is there to replace???

it didnt mate. To be honest though, the problem is very slight now. Only the oil pump left to change. I think my problem is getting less and less y'know. i wonder if this engine cleaner is doing the business.?

has the 3.2 in the tt model, experienced the same problems as the A3, as not read anything

I think the clue is in the fact that Audi went to a lot of time and money to develop the FSI system for the 3.2. I think they knew they had a problem with the fueling otherwise why change it so late in the engines life ?