Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

Anything to with Haldex cutting in and out then. Common theme for 40k is Haldex oil being changed. Maybe something gets disturbed and transmission shunt is being interpreted as engine hesitation.

I'm probably way off the mark, just thinking out loud.

Regards

Rob

At 2k rpm mine pops and bangs and hesitates and basically wants to run at 1500 or 2500......but absolutly not at 2000 !

Last time I experienced a hesitation where it was bad enough to ruin the drive of the car was on my Nissan 200SX. Then it was a timing issue. I took it to a rolling road and the guy (very old school mechanic) adjusted the crank sensor, or cam sensor, can't remember the correct name until the engine ran perfectly. I take it this engine is too advanced to be adjusted like that.

Does sound like a timing problem though. But then I am no expert.

Regards

Rob

Last edited:
Well its official guys !!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH OUR CARS

Audi guildford had mine for the morning and the misfire on revving at 2k is not a misfire, its just the noise they make running light....;-)
the popping in the exhaust is normal and they couldn't make it hesitate at 2k when driving. No fault codes........no problem.

so there you go. :shrug:

LMAO!!!

I've owned and been in a 3.2q that revs and drives perfectly so I know when it's not right. The only thing I don't know is what's causing it.

For an Audi dealer to say it's OK, just goes to show what little they actually know about the products they sell!

"I've owned and been in a 3.2q that revs and drives perfectly"....so have i !! this one up till a couple of months ago !!

img093.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought, up until now I've been running mine on 95ron petrol. My old 3.2q ran fine on this and there was no discernable difference when I put in 97ron. With this new lower emission version though I put in 97ron for the first time the other day and immediately felt the difference, well after a few miles.

The engine is much smoother, mpg is back at around 28mpg on a steady run to work rather than the 23 to 24 mpg its been. Best of all, the slight hesitation has gone. The car just pulls smoothly through 2k now.

Makes me wonder if this car with lower emissions is more sensitive to fuel types. Before I really wasn't bothered about super unleaded, now I'm happy to pay the extra for it.

Regards

Rob

Rob
I use Tesco 99Ron and on the RR its Worth 10bhp.
What you are noticing is the engine has advanced its ignition to run with the higher octane fuel. this increases bhp and torque and should give a smoother ride.. the fact that this advance of the ignition is helping with your 2k hesitation is interesting and again points to the start of the advance ramp..

I have never had fault codes but now i have loads !! silly things like drivers side electric motor for window...it works fine though. auto box not comunicating with engine....thats works fine as well...
I do have intermittent contact with engine Module ....as its now booked in for the 23rd i will leave it i think......

Mines been particularly bad over the last couple of days so this morning I re-scanned for fault codes and had the usual camshaft fault code is back + I also had loads of other silly faults that were all related to low voltage!. The batterys not been disconnected or gone flat so maybe there is an indication towards voltage issues?

Do you remember what your fault codes were saying Paddy?

Think I'll get it booked in to Audi in the new year and try again!

It was all rubbish Julian
things like glow plug heaters intermittent fault...........on a petrol engine.

I will scan it again this morning .

voltage is what i thought too, but I measured it with a multimeter and it shows a healthy 14.5v at the jump terminal. Unless the fault is with an earth on the loom somewhere that is causing the problems.

Just worked out where all the low voltage faults have come from :redface:. Looking at the time stamp on the faults, the car was actually in the VW bodyshop having some work done (under warranty). They must have either flattened or disconnected the battery, I suspect the latter because when I picked the car up, according to the dis it had been running for over an hour and was showing an average of 5mpg. They also put me of calling for the car for a couple of hours while it was "valeted".
However the camshaft fault is definately still there!

16398 - Bank 1: Camshaft B (Exhaust): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

I am going down the coked up injector route now. I have seen some pictures of 3.2 valves with so much coke on them they have lost all shape.

This Audi idea that if there is no fault code there is no fault is laughable. I wonder what Audi GB would say to that !

No fault codes today.

Will do mate...Its a £24 gamble but if it works its cheap :)

Hi guys,

I've been watching this thread with interest as my 3.2 is just about to come up to 40k miles. No sign of any misfire yet, runs really smooth at the moment...

I'll let you know if anything starts to happen as I’m going to be doing a lot of miles over the next week or so...

I have ordered some special stuff
Have a read of this.
http://www.fueltechexperts.com/2008/08/20/we-try-bg44k-and-bg244/

Loads of write ups on the web and everything is good.

This looks really interesting Paddy, are you going to take before and after shots of the plugs/piston tops? Let us know how you get on...

Matt

FYI i tried a different ecu today, and that made zero difference. the chances of the fault being on both ecus are minimal, so i think we can rule out the ecu.

guess the most exciting prospect so far is the fuel treatment.

i would like to test the oil pressure below 2000rpm, as if its low it will play havoc with the VVT.

Fuel treatment arrived today.........watch this space. :)

changed the fuel filter, and yes its made a big difference. I will see how it goes. the slight misfire at idle is still there but its less, and the car now pulls very smooth at low rpm.

Turns out the fuel filter on these cars actually contains the pressure regulator too - so maybe that was on its way out.

starting to think its definately a fueling issue.

either way my car is behaving a lot better now, so even if i cant fully get rid of the problem, its now not noticable when driving.

Keep us informed mate...still putting some miles on with this petrol gunge...will get back to you.

How easy is the fuel filter to do coxy?

the fuel filter is a doddle to do, literally 10 minutes. jack up rear drivers side, climb underneath, unclip fuel fittings, unbolt filter, stick new on it. done.

definately not a placebo effect either, the one of the things mine used to do was when i pulled onto my drive, its quite steep, I would give a slight bit throttle and nothing would happen, bit more and it would lurch forward, annoying. Now its got more power on that slight bit of throttle and it just glides up the drive.

Coxy, i cant be sure yet as i have done just half a tank full on this go juice but my first impression is similar to yours. Throttle seems smoother with less on/off feeling at the start. But then this gunge is also supposed to clean the fuel filter :)

I will reserve judgement until i have done a couple of hundred miles but i dont think this stuff was a waste of money even if it does not give the desired effect over time.
I will report back at the end of the week ....

sorry,to be a bit vague. but car is going back to dealer under warranty for new rad, but also to see about 2k flat spot, so i wanted to have quick look to see wheather they replaced filter on service they supposedley done. so as i'm one step ahead.

Don't have the part number and price for that filter do you mate?

Sorry everyone, i have done 230 miles on the tank and its made no difference to the problem. It has made the car tick over better and i think it pulls away a lot smoother
so i dont regret the £25. But its not the answer. an Audi guy i was talking to the other day said its a fuel air mix glitch and not uncommon, try changing the MAF sensor.......It will have to warm up a bit before i go outside and mess with that .....lol ..I have to say the 2k revs problem is a lot more pronounced in this cold weather so maybe there is some truth in the fuel/air mix idea.

Are the results of your filter change still positive Coxy ??

Last edited: