Help needded with 2.0 FSI A3 2003

sohail579

Reaction score
Whilst driving on the motorway at 70 my car seemed to misfire and loose total power so i pulled over to the hard shoulder and even when revving the car in neutral there was no power it was almost like a limp mode. i switched the engine off and waited 5 mins and the car was back to normal for about 5 mins and then it happened again.

so i got the car home and scanned it with VAGCOM and a whole host of errors:

6 Faults Found
18104 - Powertrain Data Bus: Implausible Message from Steering Column Controller
P1696 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16814 - Catalyst System; Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17443 - Sensor for NOx (G295): Signal Implausible
P1035 - 008 - Implausible Signal
16575 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Implausible Signal
P0191 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
18974 - Low Pressure Fuel Sensor (G410): Short to Plus
P2542 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I have cleared these errors and the car seems to be ok but there is now one error which won't go off which is:

1 Fault Found
17439 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (N316): Setpoint Not Reached
P1031 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Readiness: 1110 0101

so i have now opened my intake manifold and its pictured below: it doesn't look like its closing properly but its not seized i have cleaned it up and replaced it for now.

P1090367.jpg

P1090365.jpg

would this have caused the problem? i also took out my spark plugs and they looked like this:

P1090364.jpg

Would it be safe to say that i need a new intake manifold flap motor? i have also noticed that when i rev the car while driving or in neutral i get a sort of zzzzzz noise i noticed this noise also when i was on the motorway. it gets louder web i accelerate or rev the engine..

Please can anyone advise?

The inside is very dirty but the outside (first pic) is clean I would have thought the inside would be dirty?? Thanks for your input will read up on that

I can't do a TBA as I need to have no error codes to do so and my car chucked out the error

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins & then try clearing the fault again. We had this on a Saab whose battery had gone flat & jump starting it left the sensor out of position. It wouldn't clear using our lead so we disconnected battery & let the modules totally clear & restarted with a good 12V and it alighned itself properly this time.

I will give that a try see if it works.. Thanks..

I was thinking to open the intake manifold and checking the four flaps in there? What do you recon?

Did you resolve this problem ? Sounds similar to the problem we’re experiencing.