Help my car is doing my head in

ross_A3

Reaction score
hi there this is my first post on this forum although have been looking at it since i got my car (september) and have found some very useful things on here so keep up the good work.

any way i have an a3 8p 2004 2.0fsi and it has decided to just go wrong on me. basically it needed a new battery so i replaced this. straight after it was replaced all the dash lights up with the esp light, engine management light and the little steering wheel light i was so excited to see these as you can imagine after hearing so much about them on here. any way so i take to a vag expert and he plugs it in to try and clear the faults but they would not clear. so he looks into it a bit more and tells me that for some reason the car has lost alot of common settings contained in the sensors and they will have to be all reprogrammed.

now the thing is i have done many searches on here for this problem as didnt want to waste any ones time and could not find any thing like this. so was wondering if any one could tell me weather or not it will be just the settings or do u think that the sensors are all knackered. the only reason i say this is beacause the battery went flat i jumped it and thought may be it could have surged and ruined all my senors ? and also has any one ever come across this as i dont want it to happen every time the battery has to be disconnected ?

it is booked in this week to be reprogrammed but i can see there being more to it than that.

any help would be great sorry for the long post just wanted to cover everyting. cheers ross.

Can I just get this right first.

What happened exactly? Your battery died, you jump started it and then changed the battery? And when exactly did the warning light problem appear?

I have a similar thing on my 2007 S3. The battery flattened and when I tried to start the engine there were lots of clicking sounds but no starter turning. I f I left the ignition on it told me there was a fault with the ESP. I bought a good charger and charged it up. The car started and the ESP light and the little steering wheel light remained lit up. I booked the car is booked in for service on Fri and they felt that the faults would just need resetting and would have been a false alarm due to to the battery prob.
prt57

well the esp light came on as soon as i jumped it but thought this was normal and should of gone out after a few meters of driving which it never did. then changed the battery and the steering wheel came on as well as the esp and these were shortly followed by the mil. sorry for got to mention the steering has gone really heavy and there is only the slightest hint of it being assisted now.

sorry mate should have explained better lol. well he said that when he first plugged in the scanner came up with about 50 faults but most of these he just cleared and put them down to the battery being changed and the car not liking it. but there are now about 6 faults left which he cant clear because he needs the sensors to be reprogrammed or something as they have lost there common settings. and these 6 faults are the ones that are putting all the warning lights on. so i suppose no they wont clear for some reason. cheers for any help though guys im still trying to learn about all these senors lol so any help is great . i build areoplanes for a living and i find this car more complicated than the euro fighter lol.

It would be good if you could get a list of the codes, that way we could maybe help you better. I know sometimes CanBus needs to be cleared by disconnecting the batter for at least 30 mins. Not sure what would need reprogrammed unless its the steering angle sensor. I'd also check all the fuses just in case jumping it has spiked something & blown a fuse.

Someone came to vagcom their car and first time round, their ABS sensor didnt clear but we did it again and it cleared...

Try resetting the codes again and see what happens...

Where in the world are you from btw ? There's a few guys on here with a lot of knowledge on this stuff and vagcom that may be able to help you (usualy a lot cheaper than what garage will charge you!)

EDITED so it now makes sence :p

cheers for the replys guys.it is going in tomorrow now so see what happens. i am from kent south east london so if it dont get sorted may be some one can help. sorry dont know the codes will try and find out though. but sorted the steering out by putting it full lock both ways now just the esp and mil to sort out lol. what makes sense lol that doesnt sound good.

This may sound a bit daft but when my battery is disconnected, a lot of lights come up on the dash but when i drive away - they go off.

You have the driven the car havent you as i was udner the impression that you drove to the garage ?

cheers for the replys guys. i have found out the problem hopefully. basically the steering sorted itself out after i put it on full lock both ways. but the bloke said that my lateral accelaration sensor was broke to put it mildly. he said its gonna be £470 just for the part. is this to dear? and i have read they are easy to install so will try to buy and fit one myself. any one got a spare lol. also the EGR valve has gone and once i took the top cover off found that the gears had all crunched together and broke some of the teeth off. am going to try and make a new gear at work but without a drawing will be hard so maybe a trip to the breakers is in order. so i dont believe these were linked to the battery just one of those things i think. will have to save for the sensor though if there that much. just the light annoys me. yes mate i drove the car i thought the light s would go out but it looks more expensive than just a drive now lol.

Try ebay, people are always selling A3s breaking for spares and might have the right part.

cheers mate will do. also i have read a few posts on here after doing a search of the hazard light switch not going out at all. well mine is the same and the light wont go out from behind it . its on 24/7, although i found alot of posts about it they were old and came to no conclusions on what the actual problem was. so any help on this problem wood be great. thanks for your help by the way lads. great site.

I just cant understand this all happening since a dead battery & you're saying none of these were present beforehand??? Very strange.

Steering would clear anyway as the steering angle sensor needs recalibrating, this alone counts for 2 dash lights one yellow & 1 red, so these go after driving a tad with wheel turns, thats normal & the 6 faults wont maybe go just by a quick auto scan clear of DTC's, it depends what tool he used to remove the errors, with vcds on some errors you have to go into each module read the error & clear it for it to completely go away.

Seems you have a load of issues, battery doesnt kill these things tbh & its not very often a jump start does this kinda damage either if at all.

well no they were not there before but i believe that the egr is not related to the others as the gears were smashed up. i think he is using the vagcom because he tried to recalibrate the lateral sensor and all it came up with every time were zeros. well thats his words so he said i need i new one. sorry no the hazard light swith has always done that. how ever when i got the car there was some thing wrong with the wiring beacuse when i pushed down on the wheel arch next to the gas pedal the dash turned off but in a certain order it didnt just go dead. how ever i had this apart at the week end to see what was wrong but could not see any thing however when put all the trim back on it was cured so may have been a dodgy earth as there were a few earths around the area. speaking to the bloke today he thinks that this could have been to blame for all the fault codes. cause he cleared them on saturday but i didnt fix this till sunday and the dash had gone off a couple of times on the saturday night were i put my foot on the arch. then when he plugged it in today all the faults were back so he cleared all the ones he could and took it for a drive for an hour and none of them came back. im confused and so is every body else now probably lol.

thanks for that info mate have just had a read about how to set all the steering settings so this is very handy to have if it goes next time. has any one got any info on that hazard light switch at all? also is the vag com £295 all in as i might have to invest if they are.

thanks for that info mate have just had a read about how to set all the steering settings so this is very handy to have if it goes next time. has any one got any info on that hazard light switch at all? also is the vag com £295 all in as i might have to invest if they are.

NHS, sorry NHN was trying to organise a group buy for the lead, you could PM and see if its still a go-er.

£228.75 & yes I'm trying to get it going again, but its gotta be definites only. not "interested" people cause screws people up then.