Help me out please guys - warning light on dash!

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So when driving around tonight the orange light came on my dash. This one - http://www.engleautomotive.com/images/auto-repair/diagnose/check-engine/engine-light.jpg

It just randomly came on, under very relaxed driving conditions. I pulled in and turned car off and on again but this did not shift it.

So as soon as I got home I fired up VCDS and done a full scan. I got the following error:

1 Fault Found:
001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 002 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 65409 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.10.11
Time: 00:31:49

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1364 /min
Load: 29.8 %
Speed: 2.0 km/h
Temperature: 86.0°C
Temperature: 14.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.351 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

The only thing I can think of is I have recently had a BCS Powervalve full TBE system fitted about 3 weeks ago. But it was professionally fitted and the car has been working fine since.

I have now cleared the code and the light is now off on my dash. I will see if it comes up again, but either way I would like to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for any input guys and gals.

Trev.

Yeah bud I had a look at that and it gives a few things. I am thinking a possible leak somewhere in the exhaust system as the mechanic that fitted it did mention he had problems getting the different parts of the pipe to seal properly, as this particular system doesnt come with gaskets.

EDIT: I would just like to say I am not saying anything negative about BCS, the quality of the exhaust system is the best that is out there, and so are the BCS staff.

but if the exhaust wont seal properly then the quality of the exhaust isnt the best ,maybe the steel used is , but any standard exhaust seals well so ,so should the one you just shelled out hard earned £ for

Reactions: s3_trev
Yeah mate I totally agree. I am assured by BCS that this particular exhaust system uses specially cut (laser cut would it be? cant remember the exact term I was given) flanges, as this was something the mechanic found very odd indeed, that there were no gaskets.

Are you stage 2 or 2+?

If not then it's normal to get CEL errors.

I'm also presuming you have a 100 or 200 cel cat too.

Last edited:
No mate I have all the stage2+ hardware, but only running stage1 software currently. Yeah its a 200 cel cat.

The emissions error will be mapped out when you go 2+.

Same happened to me when I had a BCS system fitted and was running stage 1.

As said above, the engine light is normal at stage 1 with new exhaust.

It'll come and go with no ill effect until you map stage 2 or above and the light will stay out forever.

Don't worry! :)

Guessing it will still pass the mot ?

Its interesting that you say it will be mapped out guys.

Mine has stated to show this fault recently. The car was already stage2+before I bought it. 4000 miles since I've owned it and now this fault is suddenly appearing all the time.
Can't really understand why if as you chaps say its should be Coded out when mapped.

Reactions: Davjon747
This popped up on my S3 yesterday - I have to wait till Wednesday for Audi to take a look as I only picked the car up last Wednesday!

Hope you get sorted mate

wow strange you guys having the same issue as well, have you both had it VCDS scanned and its the same issue as me?

Yeah i sscanned mine, just shows the same as rosstech website.

I havent logged the sensors readings though. But it can be mapped out so ill just wait till it needs a tweak

High flow cats or decats pop this code as oem management notices it's not within its Normal oem restricted silly low emissions. Especially when cold. Either have it mapped out or try an anti fouling spacer to remove it from the stream and therefore dropping it's sensitivity

i am stage one atm and fitted a milltek turbo back with sports cat and had the same thing come on after 15 miles. i bought a spacer as said by broken byzan and cleared the code and its been fine ever since. hoping to be stage 2+ by xmas so will get it mapped out when they remap the car

I thought it was only red error lights that were MOT fails, has it changed now?

Indeed! On second thoughts it'd pass so long as passed the efficiency test.

So many conflicting stories on the web, don't know who to believe these days.

Think it's just ESP lights, Brake Warning Lights and Airbag lights that'll cause a fail at the moment.

But it maybe set to change, who knows.

Used to get this on my Jag , it was an O2 sensor , used to come and go all the time , would usually go out after 3 cycles .