Help making DIY heatshield for my audi a3

spoL

Reaction score
So, I was surfing Google about custom diy heatshield and wondered if anyone has achieved such a task on the a3 8p1 3.2 v6 model. I'm looking for a template I can copy and then use an old sheet of metal I removed from the back of my cooker.

The metal is thin steel; possibly 1.5mm think. I was going to use the current rubber grommets the oem air box sat on and place the shaped metal along the bottom and up the left side of the induction/air filter. The shield will sit against the air intake oval funnel that sucks in from the front grill and I've placed ducting so it sits behind the spoiler grill next to the spoiler light then up facing the air filter from below.

I think I have it all figured out but this is all just theory and is rather some advise from people who have actually achieved their own diy heat shield who cam offer knowledge and hopefully a template.

Cheers in advanced, Adds.
20190629 135139

You need to do a bit of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) . Cereal boxs are quite good and will be a similar thickness to the metal you have.

The cereal box idea is great, thank you. The Mrs wasn't too happy when she opened the cupboard though.

I wanted to make my own induction rather than buy a pre made. I copied the ramair kit but the only thing I bought from ramair was the air filter and a small bracket. The rest is best prices on eBay/Amazon.

I am toying with the idea of using an embossed aluminium sheet instead of the steel. Think it makes a better heat abortion and cools quicker. Probably a lot easier to shape.

Dunno whether it should be enclosed open at the front (front being where the cold air flows in), or just seperating from the engine. Be a shame not to see it