Help - Is my turbo dying?

9-Points&Counting

Reaction score
Couple of times recently had my charge pipe off and both times found a trickle of oil coming out of intercooler end.

Probably a stupid question BUT does this mean my turbo's shagged?

I did clean it up first time to keep a check on it, so second time it was fresh :)

Thanks in advance - Down to 6 points now (and counting!)

No, turbo cars breath and use a little oil, its how thwyre lubricated, plus the breather system is recirc back into the tip. As long as your not losing a significant amount of oil like someone on here re'ently don't worry. Check the throttle body end, shouldnt be a great deal of oil there if any.

Thanks for your replies Karl and Westle but can I just get my understanding right cos I was part guessing when flaunting patter like "charge pipe" around earlier:whistle2:

I'm talking about the right angled, hard pipe that comes from the turbo and round to near the inlet manifold, with a hose that then goes off down to the first intercooler. This is after the turbo yes?

I'm getting a trickle of oil coming out of that, at the manifold end - is this very bad?

No not bad at all. Like I say as long as its not excessive, like your losing half a litre a week or somethin, its normal.
A catch can fitted can help reduce it a lot, one of its benefits. Perhaps consider that.

No not bad at all. Like I say as long as its not excessive, like your losing half a litre a week or somethin, its normal.
A catch can fitted can help reduce it a lot, one of its benefits. Perhaps consider that.

OK, thanks again. It's not excessive so i'll calm down a bit.

I didn't mind if it was really cos it would explain why it feels flat as a fart at the bottom end. I'm really sick of it cos feels like i have to rev the tits off it to get owt interesting to happen. Keep going to these audi tuning places and they all say it's fine, and it feels ok when ur in the passenger seat, feels much more exciting, but when i'm back on my own, bombing about, it feels really saggy... loads of turbo lag... feels like its in limp mode all the time when it's not cos i keep checking, and claering, the faults.

Any ideas?

And what's a catch can, where do i get one and where/how do i fit it?

Sorry if that's too many questions.

OK, thanks again. It's not excessive so i'll calm down a bit.

I didn't mind if it was really cos it would explain why it feels flat as a fart at the bottom end. I'm really sick of it cos feels like i have to rev the tits off it to get owt interesting to happen. Keep going to these audi tuning places and they all say it's fine, and it feels ok when ur in the passenger seat, feels much more exciting, but when i'm back on my own, bombing about, it feels really saggy... loads of turbo lag... feels like its in limp mode all the time when it's not cos i keep checking, and claering, the faults.

Any ideas?

And what's a catch can, where do i get one and where/how do i fit it?

Sorry if that's too many questions.

Bed time reading.....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...de-how-fit-catch-can-simplify-pcv-system.html

Yeah, you really got to be carefull as well, cos any slip-ups and neighbouring korea start launching missiles at you :w00t: