HELP INFO -Mid Res delete 2.0tfsi quattro special edition

Steve s

Reaction score
Hi there new to audis . I have a 2007 b7 red audi 2.0tfsi quattro special edition estate. Look at doing a mid res delete . I have the pipe work for it just straight pipe as coded welder by trade . Hope someone here has done it And sound ok . In two minds due to being my family car . Went from impreza sti running 380bhp to this . Want it to be a bit off fun for myself .plus family friendly . Hope I can get some help with this . Thanks steve

Reactions: Charlie Farley
IMG 20200626 WA0003

Welcome to Audi's and also to the forum.
Very nice choice of variant and colour if I may say so.:icon thumright:, estate bodies are "Avants " by the way, and also the best choice.:yes:

First off , you may find a straight through a bit too much in a B7, well depends on personal choice really but many do it then change back to a resonated system.

probably best not to be comparing the B7 with an STI as they are worlds apart and having come from a 2006 legacy estate 3.0spec B myself the difference is noticible , for me it was nice but for some its a disappointment, well in standard spec .

B7 has shed loads of potential but it comes at a premium price so beware of hole in the wallet syndrome....:whistle2:

The only problem really with this car is the mid res has seen its day . And was looking into res delete. Like I said have the pipe work and welder experience. As it's a standard system if I delete the res . Will it sound tinny and raspy. Try not to compare to the sti . And that wins hands down . But need a family car now . I have done the rs4 headlight conversion .

Also what potential has these cars got ? In the tuning world

The res is the catalyst I presume?
If so you will need to remap it to delete the o2 sensors.
The car has great potential, with the right hardware, remap and a fat wallet you can reach the 300hp mark. But as Rob (he is btw the most experienced) said "do not compare it to an STi".

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

The res is the catalyst I presume?
If so you will need to remap it to delete the o2 sensors.
The car has great potential, with the right hardware, remap and a fat wallet you can reach the 300hp mark. But as Rob (he is btw the most experienced) said "do not compare it to an STi".

Thanks for the kind comment chap but i'm far from the most experienced, more a case of a random tinkerer :yes: , thanks for the upgrade though.

Reactions: Donfero
Thanks for the kind comment chap but i'm far from the most experienced, more a case of a random tinkerer :yes: , thanks for the upgrade though.
I have personally learned and benefited so much from you.

Also what potential has these cars got ? In the tuning world

Potential for 500+ ponies if you have deep enough pockets and skill levels to do the work.
There are a lot of threads in this section on the many option tuning options out there so maybe spend a while looking through them and you'll be enlightened to say the least.
Entry level engine wise would just be a plug in chip , not the best route but good to start with if you want a quick and easy boost.
Otherwise it's going to be down to your personal choice of hardware really.
HFC is must along with an larger bore downpipe ,uprated FMIC and a remap will get you from 220 to 270 ish .
After that its new injectors, hybrid turbo's etc etc and you are then in a whole new world of power and expense , but hey all down to you really.

there's lot of kit on the market for the 2.0tfsi engine , not all suitable for the B7 but a lot is.

Welcome to the fold. Looks a nice one.

The beauty is that the engine is common so there is an abundance if second hand parts out there for these which can be made to fit. Unfortunately with having a longitudinal mounted lump the most complicated bit is finding a turbo. 350 Bhp is not outside the realms of possibility if you are savvy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replays. And info . Yes lovely red after it had a deep clean and polish came up nice . . Back to the question . I have standard system on it . With cats . If I remove the mid res before back boxes will it make it tinny or raspy . As I dont wanna buy a new back section at the Moment. That's why I am thinking cut out weld pipe in it place . I know the audi and sti are completely differnt . But it wasnt fmaily/baby friendly . Hens the audi now and happier wife.

If you want a happy life and a more acceptable sound level use a centre res with more free flowing back boxes, factory cat does restrict power and queiter than a HFC .

If you are good at fab/welding pipework you can make up your own system very easily for a lot less than retail cost.
The options vary if you can do a custom system yourself.

Deleting the mid resonator will make it more raspy, i deleted the back boxes and it sounded good to me i do have a link on YouTube if you want it? since then ive added the high flow cat which gives it a raspy noise higher in the revs which complements the deeper tone of the back box deletes so for me it sounds amazing especially with the intake definitely an aggressive but suitable sound, id leave the mid res in but thats personal preference if i kept the back boxes and deleted the mid res along with the hfc it would sound way to raspy for me.