help... im loosing interest.

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Dear all,

I seem to be loosing interest in my S3. For the next few months im mainly cycling to work but will then be commuting to work. My problem is that i seem to be loosing interest in the car... Its had loads of attention of the years but now sits unloved.

Do you think if i get it re-mapped it will spark my enthusiasm again?

I would welcome thoughts from those that have and want to know did it make you smile again?

Cheers

Chris

Yeah its the best money you could ever spend. I bought my motor and after a week I got it remapped as I found it a tad slow. It turns it into a different motor

Well said AKY. Deffo the best mod you can buy!!! unless ur a gazzillionaire and can afford a 600bhp jbs conversion. Its allllllllllllllllll good.

i'd say the same its not right until you remap it........it will make you smile everyday....

*controversial comment warning*

Dont get it Revo'd. Revo sucks. Been there, done that.

Get custom code :) 10x better

*awaits flaming*

uh ho....
obviously you;ve had both. how do they differ.

I was actually goin to add that i dont like my revo map. Its all or nothing, really peaky!!! i had a gt tuning map on my pre facelift and that was miles smoother and more power at lower revs!!! dont get me wrong, its quick but i think theres better maps out there. My mate had his s4 done at mrc and believe there highly recomended fro custom mapping!!!

must say i love the revo. although probs on paper not much different to the cc alot of people say because the punch is there lower down it feels faster. like i said iv never been in a cc'd s3 so cant really compare.

If I were to get another remap I'd deffo consider MRC (depending on location) and I'd definately use a specific map rather than a generic

I got mine CC'd after owning it for 8/9 months and agree with all of the above. Tranforms the car, and it certainly brings a smile to your face everytime you put the foot down! Whilst this was my first remap and i've nothing to compare it to, i did a bit of research beforehand (on here!!!) and decided to go for the CC as i still wanted a smooth power delivery and my own preference was not to go for a peaky map. Basically if you drive the car normally, you wouldn;t know the difference, but press the right foot a bit harder - its good fun! :)

Each to there own i suppose, and it depends what you are after - but i am certainly more than happy with the CC (for now... :whistle2:)

Hi,

I recommend CC because it was more suited to my driving, KiteyBoy preferes Revo because his S3 is his weekend car.

Also CC cost me £312 and I think Revo is about £600 inc. VAT.

I had mine done at Jabbasport for £475 and I love it, but the point is just get the remap you can afford and you will not be disappointed.
:blackrs4:

Kiteyboy ! quick question ?
Maybe a silly one...
but what is a sprintbooster and what purpose does it have ?
I may have to consider one !!

Cheers kiteyboy...
just had a little read of the previous post and does sound like something worth looking into !!

I wish i knew WHICH map i had on my car?!?

Apparently in was mapped from new and the previous owner didn't know!

Don't think he knew a great deal about cars....

Budgy smuggler ! i Wouldn't say your got a lot to worry about with your remap... its the launch i believe you have to perfect !!:p
whats that little grey dot in my rear view :think:Lol

im havin the exact same problem i need to remap mine,but im a tight fisted ******.lol.and gotta take the mrs on holiday,f*ckin women..

Got mine mapped (Revo), totally different car.... for the better! I don't have anything to compare it with though. I would recommend getting it mapped ASAP, like tomorrow if possible :yes:

yeah but my clucth doesnt feel too good,its not slipping yet but doesnt go into gear as well and the pedal is high so dont wanna get a remap then have to fork out on 600 quid for the clutch after.

I read somewhere about clutch issues after a remap. Asked the shop this on mail before I got it done...

The Revo software will not cause any clutch damage unless you are abusive towards the transmission - ie hard standing starts etc. With the Revo software installed an Audi dealer would not know unless you informed them. The service intervals for the vehicle will remain unchanged whether on fixed or variable schedule. You will no doubt have noticed that the car performs better in the cold weather due to the lower intake temperatures. In the summer the car will feel slower due to the heat - we would probably set the timing values on the software relatively low to deal with the heat. The other aspect that will affect the performance is the quality of fuel available. We would recommend running the car on 98ron petrol to achieve the best from the software. The car is still able to run on lower quality fuel ie 95ron and the ecu would adapt settings accordingly.

But with that said... he is after the sale of it with me! Anyhows, I got it done and all is fine so far. As for all the temp stuff he mentions... I work in Czech and it's -12 in winter and 40 in summer so that was an added question to him.

Had mine booked in for a remap before I even picked it up. Went to Chipped UK in Bromsgrove. Cost me the best £275.00 I have ever spent.

I had actually had it booked in at AMD, but cancelled as they appeared to be only interested in the cash and not the car.

Went back to Chipped UK again last week to get my S3 replacement done. A6 2.0TDi, now 175bhp and getting 60mpg on a run!!

Still miss the power and grin factor of the S3, but not the fuel bills!!!

Chris, you have to ask yourself why you are loosing interest?

If it's because it doesn't feel quick...then a re-map may sort it.

But lets be honest...an S3 isn't going to thrill you...it never will...you can throw £6000 at it and it'll be faster, corner better, brake better...but still not thrill.
You can throw £10k into a BT and all the trimmings...and it'll be mental. But boring.
If the cause is it's honest ways and lack or character...then throwing money at it isn't going to be the cure.
Maybe time to sell it on and go for something a bit sillier?

To know the solution...you have to first be honest with yourself and pinpoint the problem/s.

I have a stupid question, mind my ignorance..

but what's the difference between custom code and Revo?

*controversial comment warning*
Aggressive remap and 'miss daisy' remap

*awaits flaming*

I read somewhere about clutch issues after a remap. Asked the shop this on mail before I got it done...

The Revo software will not cause any clutch damage unless you are abusive towards the transmission - ie hard standing starts etc. With the Revo software installed an Audi dealer would not know unless you informed them. The service intervals for the vehicle will remain unchanged whether on fixed or variable schedule. You will no doubt have noticed that the car performs better in the cold weather due to the lower intake temperatures. In the summer the car will feel slower due to the heat - we would probably set the timing values on the software relatively low to deal with the heat. The other aspect that will affect the performance is the quality of fuel available. We would recommend running the car on 98ron petrol to achieve the best from the software. The car is still able to run on lower quality fuel ie 95ron and the ecu would adapt settings accordingly.

But with that said... he is after the sale of it with me! Anyhows, I got it done and all is fine so far. As for all the temp stuff he mentions... I work in Czech and it's -12 in winter and 40 in summer so that was an added question to him.

I'd imagine remaps would cause increased wear on the clutch. More power going through it is bound to wear it out quicker. A remap can also bring to your attention a clutch which is starting to go. My clutch felt absolutely fine pre-remap, but post-remap when booting it, it's slipping in 4th, 5th and 6th at around 3k RPM when turbo kicks in. I don't drive like this as a habit as it's a guaranteed way to wear out a clutch but it shows that the clutch has a definate poblem.

I'd imagine remaps would cause increased wear on the clutch. More power going through it is bound to wear it out quicker. A remap can also bring to your attention a clutch which is starting to go. My clutch felt absolutely fine pre-remap, but post-remap when booting it, it's slipping in 4th, 5th and 6th at around 3k RPM when turbo kicks in. I don't drive like this as a habit as it's a guaranteed way to wear out a clutch but it shows that the clutch has a definate poblem.

Surly if your clutch is slipping after a remap that just shows you clutch is on it's way out anyway? Which is not a bad thing as it would have probably needed doing in a few thou anyway, even if you didn't have the remap.

A remap shouldn't hurt your clutch, it will just show up any weaknesses in the car which in my opinion is good, then you can get it sorted.... IMO though of course!!

I have to agree with you there mate. the clutch is a problem.

If i have my revo on boost nine the clutch will slip in 4th 5th and 6th.

If i turn it to standard or turn the boost down between 1-4 say, it dose not slip or noticeably anyway.

I would say go for the remap, just as everyone on here has said, i would like to do mine, but i think i am going to hold out for a while, until i have got used to the power and get "bored" of it, cz that way it gives me and the car a new lease of life and something to look forward to...if that makes sense...

I would say go for the remap, just as everyone on here has said, i would like to do mine, but i think i am going to hold out for a while, until i have got used to the power and get "bored" of it, cz that way it gives me and the car a new lease of life and something to look forward to...if that makes sense...

When you get a chance Nilz, you can take my car round the block, then it will make you want a remap soon enough! :racer:

What's all this bunkum about certain re-maps killing clutches?
It's utter poppycock.

On an S3 the clutch is the weak link between the car having lots (too much) grip and a high torque engine...if you get ANY re-map added and abuse your clutch it will slip, because a standard clutch was only designed, and made to handle a certain amount of torque.
At 320 lb-ft or so, the standard clutch struggles...

A re-map that has a huge glob of low down torque will give the clutch a harder time...as will people who trundle along in 6th at 30 MPH and expect the clutch to cope when their re-mapped engine hits full torque.

Re-maps don't kill clutches...driving style and very high torque does.
You can run 330 lb-ft + on a standard clutch AND have a very aggressive re-map if you drive considerately. I did...my clutch was standard after 4 years of 275+ BHP/330+ lb-ft.

So, re-maps don't kill clutches...owners do by turing up the boost too high / asking for as much torque as is possible...or driving in a way as to not look after their clutch.

guys thanks for your comments, very useful to hear your suggestions. I gave the car a clean yesterday and what a difference. Certainly a nice shiny clean car does help rekindle that original spark that i had years ago.

Maybe its all this rain?

Anyway, i will plan to get it remapped and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again

All I'd say is that once you have had the remap, it will highlight the other areas of the S3 that can be/need to be upgraded i.e. Brakes & Suspension. Well it has for me anyway, and that can get expensive.

Just a thought.

ICE

JO thanks for the offer, i will take you up on that SOON....

Surely this is all down to what you have been use to driving and your own personal taste?

This is it, if you have access to other motors which offer a better drive or handling, then the S3 does seem a bit flat.... still a good all rounder though, which has led me to keep mine for almost 7 years!