1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.....how to wire mic for RNSe (again, sorry)

RustyBucket Sep 28, 2014

1. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Active Member

Message to Mods - this is a repost as originally it was posted in A3 forum but this section is more appropriate and I didn't know how/if I could move it - Cheers

I know there are loads of threads talking about the mic re wire to get the RNSe to hear voice commands but despite days of trawling threads on here and other forums I'm still confused, I'm just not getting it :tan:

Of the two methods that have been discussed, I'm not sure which the one below is but i think seems to be the simplest way (I could be wrong and will happily be corrected).

I've had the A pillar cover off and can see 2 thicker looking black cables (one I imagine contain mic cables and the other I'm not sure about).

This description is something I've found (http://m.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=151&showall=1) that I'm trying to follow:

The two repair wires will have a crimped connection on each end - giving you 4 crimped connections. You should cut these wires in half and insert a crimped end into each of the pins below on the green "C" connector inthe quadlock.
    1 - MIC IN (-)
    4 - MIC Out (-)
    7 - MIC IN (+)
    10 - MIC Out (+)
    OK so far.......

The Mic In wires from the BT module need to be rerouted to the Mic In pins in the green connector. The Mic Out wires in the green connector should connect to the Mic In pins on the BT module.
    This is where I'm lost

Pin 11 on the BT module is Mic-In (-) and Pin 12 is Mic-In (+).

The wire for the Mic runs down your A pillar and under the passenger seat. Rather than reroute the whole cable a better option is to take your two repair wires and cut them in half, then insert the four ends into the RNS-e's green connector. Then take a length of speaker cable (well 2 lengths actually) and connect it to the mic in and out repair wires and then run them behind the glovebox to the a pillar. Split the Mic wire and attach the MIC end to the speaker cable running to the MIC-IN on the RNS-e and then attach the speaker cable from the MIC-OUT pins to the BT end of the mic cable at the A-pillar.

I've got my repair wires and you can see from the image which wires are currently in the green 'C' block and where the intended repair wires will go.

So this is where my questions start.

• The Mic In wires from the BT module need to be rerouted to the Mic In pins in the green connector - where is the BT module this refers to? Is this one of the other coloured blocks next to the green connector?
      • Are the mic cables a particular colour or do I need to remove the light unit above to identify these first?
      • According to the instructions the mic out (+) repair wire goes into position 10 on the 'C' connector but there is already a blue and red wire in that position so what happens to that?
    Any help would be sooooooooo appreciated as it love to get this sorted but seem to be confusing myself more and more which is hugely frustrating as I know it can be done relatively easily.

Cheers
    IMG_2032.JPG

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi A5 quattro

The BT module is under the passenger seat. if you can't find the Mic cable in the A pillar then I'm afraid you won't be able to do this mod. you need to locate the wire or just run new wires from the RNSE all the way to the BT module.

4. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Active Member

I just wanted to update this quickly as I've now successfully completed the mod and have fully functioning SDS on my Mk2 RNSe. I've put the attached together to help anyone else struggling to get their head around the mic rewire for the SDS. It's really pretty simple but despite reading loads on here and other forums I couldn't get my head around the wiring so I hope this helps. I've not covered glove box removal or removing the A pillar cover because that's done very clearly elsewhere.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

5. Gazpot0111645

Gazpot0111645 New Member

Nice, I have a 2010 S3. I have retrofitted an RNSE. I already had bluetooth fitted and sds. Since install the bluetooth works but the sds now doesnt hear my voice. Is this the mod i need to carry out?

6. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

Have you recoded the car when I fitted a rnse to mine I had to recode it with vcds in sections 77 telephone, 56 (I think) radio and 37 navigation

7. Gazpot0111645

Gazpot0111645 New Member

Hi, I have recoded all to suit but yet the SDS wont hear my voice. Bluetooth works fine though. The SDS just keeps saying Pardon.

8. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green TFSI Owners Group Silver Supporter Team Sprint Audi S3 Manual

Did you happen to get anywhere with this as i have same problem .

9. s8craig

s8craig Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

If you fit an RNS-E with SDS and do not do the mod then this what happens as the RNS-E takes priority over the telephone ECU, you need to do the mod and turn of voice control in the phone ECU.

10. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green TFSI Owners Group Silver Supporter Team Sprint Audi S3 Manual

Cheers for replying @s8craig but that has all went over my head .
    Only bit i think i understand is once the mod done i would need to go into oding telephone 77 and look to turn off voice control in the phone or am i well left base.
    I have a 59plate S3 but Audi parts told me 2010 model so i am just hazarding a guess i could have the wires in the A pillar but not opened that yet . Any other advice or a walk through would be much appreciated thanks

11. s8craig

s8craig Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Basically what you have interpreted from my message is correct.

There will not be any wining in place for you to use, you need to run 4 wires from the RNS-E to the BT unit under the floor and intercept the mic deom the roof. Or run the 4 wires to the roof space and intercept the microphone there.