Help getting bonnet to close

feck_on_a_stick

Reaction score
For some reason my bonnet won't close properly. I'd just fitted my Badger 5 heat shield and JR filter, and initially thought the heat shield was catching, but I've removed it completely now, and the rest of the bay is clear of tools etc that might be in the way.

I can actually push the bonnet fully down but it won't stay down. It will half close on the bonnet latch and the lever on the bonnet itself works just fine.

The bonnet release inside the car also works ok, but would it be possible that the other end of the mechanism which the cable pulls back isn't fully returning back to the right position?

I've sprayed some WD40 around the nooks and crannies, and then dabbed some grease on and moving parts.

I've taken some photos but not sure if they'll shed any light on things.

Any help would be great as I'm busting to get out in the car to try out my new filter. Thanks.

Top view

Rear view

Is there anything missing here?

I had a similar problem a while back, turned out the catch had dropped slightly so it wouldn't engage when you push down on the bonnet. I reset the height of the catch and it was fine again. It is held by 4 bolts (think they're star or hex bolts, cant remember) that worked for me anyway.

Steve

Reactions: feck_on_a_stick
I had a similar problem a while back, turned out the catch had dropped slightly so it wouldn't engage when you push down on the bonnet. I reset the height of the catch and it was fine again. It is held by 4 bolts (think they're star or hex bolts, cant remember) that worked for me anyway.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I just had to turn one of the bolts a quarter turn and it engaged :)

Reactions: Nilz and S3 Hilife
hey guys just wondering if you remember

with the two bottom bolts - should they screw in to something because mine are missing and screwing the bolts i got front he car yard it seems like they have nothing to thread in to....

hey guys just wondering if you remember

with the two bottom bolts - should they screw in to something because mine are missing and screwing the bolts i got front he car yard it seems like they have nothing to thread in to....

Hi Ian, is it these bolts?
acadde50b64d5136e2c4b132049e405d.jpg

All I can tell you is that they scew into the back of the front panel probably via an insert of some kind, I never looked tbh. You may need to remove the catch to have a look and see what's missing.

Is your catch working or was the assembly loose, mine had worked loose somehow and dropped down enough for it not to engage the catch, but the bolts were still there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The bottom two bolts screw into the support bracket that goes to the front crash bar (the one that has the horns on it)

This support typically gets removed when fitting a FMIC... some people cut the support bracket to refit but others (you know who you are!) don't bother...

I have left mine off but refitted the bolts using nuts and washers

<tuffty/>

those are the ones @S3 Hilife . mine definitely do not have whatever is meant to be there hence the assembly is tilted and the bonnet doesn't catch properly.... only with quite a high drop will it close... and i don't like that! LOL

i'm going to have to pull the bumper off to investigate and will probably have to do what you've done @<tuffty/> and use nuts and washers

thanks guys

Reactions: S3 Hilife
problem solved - i just replaced the bottom latch mechanism with one from the wreckers

did you know there are two types of connectors!? LOL i had to go back because the original was an orange connector - the one from the wreckers was black and they are a completely different shape!

also... what is that connector for anyway?

problem solved - i just replaced the bottom latch mechanism with one from the wreckers

did you know there are two types of connectors!? LOL i had to go back because the original was an orange connector - the one from the wreckers was black and they are a completely different shape!

also... what is that connector for anyway?
Alarm switch for bonnet

<tuffty/>

Reactions: IPG
ahhh ok thanks!!! Thought it was for either
- a bonnet raised symbol on the FIS like it is for the doors (which it looks like it isn't)
- the feature where if the bonnet is open the alarm doesn't honk (but i tried this with it unplugged and the honk still acted normal hence my question)

dammit i don't think mine does...

the OCD is now going to take over