HELP! Fuel Injector?

D

DannyY1993

Hi all, so I have a 2007 A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI Quattro and had it at the garage other day for rear coils replacing. When picking it up they mentioned the very strong smell of emissions Ie fuel and said It may have a fuel injector fault. Now I must admit I have noticed it too especially when idle in traffic or first starting up and first few revs. Only problem is they can’t be 100% sure unless they send the fuel injectors off for testing as this is the only full way to be sure as they are mechanical injectors not electrical. I have also noticed fuel usage is becoming worse. They have advised maybe running fuel cleaner through first??

My question is...is it possible to be any other part causing this smell or is it just a cheaper option to have all 4 injectors replaced instead of guessing on a couple etc.

It’s worth noting that it’s on 149k miles and since I have had it I have replaced the following:

Dual mass flywheel and clutch
Main oil feed pipe
Water pump and timing belt
Rear coils
And very soon to replace a faulty steeeing rack.

Any experience or advice in this issue is greatly appreciated.

My mate has one of these and told me that that model had a recall for the fuel injectors and Audi replaced them free of charge.

Worth an email to or call to Audi Customer Service and they can check your reg and see if it is eligible.

Yep - definitely work asking Audi if its been done already as all the 170PD engines were eligible. This was back in 2011 though so it would have to have been a very unlucky car to have swerved the recall until now. If they have been done, then a further injector failure would only be covered by the standard parts warranty... but worth asking :)