HELP..front engine cover removal

Ian W

Reaction score
Really wound up now !

Came to do my thermostat today so I popped the engine cover off then went to remove the little cover (over the dipstick) this is where the fun started...the screws look like the same kind that are used to hold the main cover on...but I cannot budge them...so that puts an end to my stat replacement until I can !

What type of screws are they ? Philips, crosshead ? just the normal twist and remove ones ?

Was about to just yank the whole thing off when I decided to come in for a breather !

mine are quarter turn and pull however it ended up that i couldn;t get them lined up right to remove the cover so i ended up pulling it while also turning the screw head.
it came off.
itis easier to see once it is off.

I tried Torx but didn't fit - they certainly look like the normal twist and pull but they just won't budge.

Ahhh I now know what you mean, you mean that long is it rubber/plastic strip thats held in place with the same type of fixings as the engine cover, they just turn & then release mate iirc from my S3, so should easily come of, just get a thin screwdriver in the middle of the fixing so its tight on the screw & then push & twist, should then come of

I did my thermostat yesterday with abut of help, not easy, but doable, the two screw can be left in place if you have an L key to remove the main twobolts held onto the inlet manifold. You will need a a torch to see the the thermostat bolts size 10

I did my thermostat yesterday with abut of help, not easy, but doable, the two screw can be left in place if you have an L key to remove the main twobolts held onto the inlet manifold. You will need a a torch to see the the thermostat bolts size 10

That did it :) Managed to remove the whole thing from the inlet !

Sadly I then found that I have lost my long extension so it looks like the jobs off until next weekend now anyway.