Help engine light!

jdas03

Reaction score
Hi,
I drove to work today in my s3 51plate amk.
Noticed on the way home driving about 60 it didn't seem to
Boost to 70 quite as quickly (no real push back in chair)
I got of the motorway and found a country road to push it a bit, and it was slow, not boosting at all really! I could hear the turbo but I wasn't getting the power! At this point no engine light.
The car idled completely normal and drove normally just didn't accelerate right when I put my foot down!
After testing a few things, MAF one of them I eventually got a engine light!

What are your thoughts? Do boost leaks show engine lights? I don't have vagcom so can't check the code :-( heard Audi charge 100 quid for code scanning!

As I said the car seems to be running fine at idle, is it safe to drive?

Thoughts and help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks

The eml light normaly goes on after unpluggung the maf and driving around for a bit. It soons goes off after a few drives with it plugged in

Yer I know that light stays on for a while (same light as ESP turn off) but got the proper engine light displayled on the speedo as opposed to the rev counter.

Any one had shed any possible light on my problem?

Yer that comes up along with the esp light, esp goes on and off after a car on and off. the orange light stays up for a while

Ah ok thanks! I disconnected battery and restarted the car, Engine light is gone and hasn't re appeared since with a slow drive round the block!
I think it is most likely a boast leek going to have look around tomorrow for splits. Thinking it's a split as the light came on when I was trying to push it to see what was up with the power!

Still not severely lacking power but engine lights not reappeared for now! Any further Comments or suggestions more than welcome!

It does sound like you have a boost leak somewhere and it should be visible by the sound of it, check the ones with the orange dots also around the t.i.p, good luck bud!

P4201207-2.jpg

Thank you all very much.
I'll have a visual look according to the photo see if I can see a tear in the pipe.
And thanks very much s3 baby I may take you up on that if I can't find the leak :)

Thanks for all your help

Just been out in he car today after leaving it over night and the powers all back!seems really strange! Possibility that a pipe expanded with heat of hour and half motorway journey and as it's cooled it hardened back tight? I see a pipe going into the top of DV has no jubilee clip.... Could that be the cause of massive power loss? Or is it more likely a split?

Hi i am having the same problem, i have noticed like a boost leak sound and the other day i was driving and the power totaly cut out but the engine was still running and i had to role to the side of the road, the car idles fine but wouldnt move, after half hour it was ok had power again but still has the boost leak sound i have checked all the pipes and they seem ok, did you change anything in the end? i took it to a local garage they checked all the pipes and seem ok and they are saying its the maf sensor..

Check it with VCDS mate. Did the engine sound like a scooby by any chance?

Yep, the MAF fixed it for me, i also changed some of the breather hoses that were serverly degraded all in all its great now.
But changing the MAF made brought the power back and i didnt have an issue after that :)

Thanks for the responses guys.. The engine sounded a bit lumbpy when the power cut out but when the car came to a stand still it sounded fine on idle but the car just didnt want to pull of? So i called the AA and buy the time they arrived the car was sort of ok again the light had gone of but on boost it was still sounding like it had a leak? The garage has changed the MAF sensor and are saying its ok now so hopefully fingers crossed it will be fine. Ill let you guys know how it goes once i have picked the car up. Thanks again