[HELP] DRL Lights not working...

micasb

Reaction score
Hi,

So i have the headlights now almost fully working.
It's all connected to the headlights and the DRL light switch was also wired to the CE.
In VCDS coding just changed the headlight type to Bi-xenon with separate DRL.
So everything seems to be ok, but DRL does not light up, neither with the switch nor using DIS menus.
Am i missing anything on the coding?
No error appears and the DRL works if i code it has bi-xenon with additional hi-beam...

Any ideas?

Regards

Hi,

All that is done...
That's the thing ... :(

Hi,

No they're not LED. It's pre-facelift headlights.
I'm pretty sure they are wired correctly, because if i code them to be additional hi-beam they do light up so i think they are well wired. Anyway i'll double check to see if i did anything wrong...
Also does the light switch need to be turned to 0 position?
I'm having trouble understanding what the hell is wrong...

Cheers

I know the DRL headlight switch is wired different to the older one, there are at least two extra wires needed IIRC. I've finally managed to get a K-rev module today so hopefully it will arrive soon & I might have a better idea of what works.

What do you mean?
I just added a wire to the CE from the switch.
The switch works properly, because if i code to scandinavia DRL (presence lights) and turn the switch to I the lights go on...
So the switch is also working...
I have no clue what seems to be the problem...

Last edited:
do you have set it to american drl?
which pin did you wire from the drl switch to the CE turn off the drl? ce pin location?
also the light switch needs to be off for the drl to turn on

do you have set it to american drl?
which pin did you wire from the drl switch to the CE turn off the drl? ce pin location?
also the light switch needs to be off for the drl to turn on

No didn't set it to American.
From the DRL switch (7 pin plug) it was PIN 4 to the CE PIN (don't remenber LOL) but i think it was a PIN 11 somewhere...
So the light switch needs to be turned to 0 position? it can't be in the Auto position?

Cheers

right i forgot you had auto lights...
ok so let start again.
once you wire up everything (bi-xenon lights and drls, with the drl switch)
then you need to code the car:
"first go to Central Electronics-->Long Coding
Things you have to change
Byte 00 Bit 1 ON
Byte 03 Bit 4 OFF
Byte 17 Bit 1 OFF (I think it's off but I forget. Play around)
Byte 21 (Dropdown box) Choose the one that matches your setup."
making sure you have either american or scandinavian drls on.
then set the light switch to auto and the drl switch to on (I)

it should then light up your drls in the day and headlights should come on automatically at night... if the light switch is set to off the drls will be on until you switch the drl switch to off (0)

right i forgot you had auto lights...
ok so let start again.
once you wire up everything (bi-xenon lights and drls, with the drl switch)
then you need to code the car:
"first go to Central Electronics-->Long Coding
Things you have to change
Byte 00 Bit 1 ON
Byte 03 Bit 4 OFF
Byte 21 (Dropdown box) Choose the one that matches your setup."
making sure you have either american or scandinavian drls on.
then set the light switch to auto and the drl switch to on (I)

it should then light up your drls in the day and headlights should come on automatically at night... if the light switch is set to off the drls will be on until you switch the drl switch to off (0)

So American and Scandinavian must be ticked in VCDS?! Didn't do that... LOL

I'll have to check the coding as the only thing i did was change the headlight type nothing more.. -.-

i did say to check the wiring and coding earlier! the fortitude link i gave had all this info in it.
recode and come back with the results.
also you need to help me with the auto light issues i am still having! :icon_thumright:

also if you didnt know already:

Difference in DRL coding:

North America:
Front DRLs only turn on, but go out when you engage the parking brake.

Scandinavia:
Front DRLs and tail lights turn on, but neither turn off when you engage the parking brake.

Last edited:
i did say to check the wiring and coding earlier! the fortitude link i gave had all this info in it.
recode and come back with the results.
also you need to help me with the auto light issues i am still having! :icon_thumright:

Ok but in the fourtitude they don't mention American/Scandinavian DRL setting :)
Regarding t your problem i'll check the wiring i did and PM you as soon as possible ;)

Regards.

also if you didnt know already:

Difference in DRL coding:

North America:
Headlights only turn on, but go out when you engage the parking brake.

Scandinavia:
Headlights and tail lights turn on, but neither turn off when you engage the parking brake.

What headlights? In scandinavian the minimum lights do turn on with the DRL switch...
American i did not try it...

So...

Recoded and still nothing...
The only thing that works is the minimum lights when coded to Scandinavia...
DRL light does not go on in any way....
Didn't check the wiring yet.

Damn this headlight saga i'm having over the past 2 years doesn't seem to have an end... :(

hi,
i am currently on converting my 2006 a3 to the new sline model. i.e new headlights??

do i need new coding for my new headlights?? i do not have the drl system. but i do have the auto light system

So...

Recoded and still nothing...
The only thing that works is the minimum lights when coded to Scandinavia...
DRL light does not go on in any way....
Didn't check the wiring yet.

Damn this headlight saga i'm having over the past 2 years doesn't seem to have an end... :(

Where abouts are you mate?
Also what do you mean "minimum lights when coded to scandinavia"
I will need to double check but make sure you have drl brightness turned up in CE coding, I think it's somewhere between bytes 10-17
Did you not say you had the drls on at one point?

Hi,

Portugal...
By minimum lights i mean presence lights (the w5w in the front) when in scandinavia coding.
You mean DRL dimming on Byte 08? It's 0%, but dimming means lowering the brightness. Correct? Or do i need to have it at 100%?
I had the DRL on only when coded to additional hi-beam. That's the only way they light up...

i think you need to check wiring, also set the brightness up on byte 08. have a look for parking light brightness as well. i will test the brightness settings in a couple hours as i made a change and now only one DRL bulb is on bright and the other is almost off.

the DRL coding needs to be either the American or scandinavian setting. not both.
leave your headlight position to off and the DRL position to on(I), if it works this way then it should work the same on auto lights in the daytime. you need to make sure you have the least possible factors so we can troubleshoot it properly.

make sure you have the same coding as i wrote a few posts ago.

I will be coding the car later so i will check what i have on mine and report back later.

I have it now only on NA coding. I've tryed the light switch on off position and on auto position and it doesn't work either way.
I remember that on byte 08 it's everything on 00 in the coding so it must be 0% on the coding...
I need now only to doublecheck the wiring and i'll check the wiring for your problem also.
Please check your coding and tell me something later.
Thanks for your help.

cheers.

ok so i just checked mine and the coding is:
Byte 00 Bit 1 ON
Byte 03 Bit 4 OFF
Byte 08 Dec1: 100 (if i change this lower the DRL light dims out. (00 turns them off)
Byte 21 (Dropdown box) 05 - Bi-xenon front light with separate DRL

compare yours to mine and see what is different, try coding it to the same as mine and then test. Hope that sorts it out...

Ok thanks.

I think byte 8 because it has 00 in the value :)
Will try it when i get home and will report.
Friday is my day off and i'll have a look to the wiring on the rearview mirror for you.
I also have something worng i think, because it as a wire to get reverse gear signal (don't know for what it is) but i suspect it's to un-dim the mirror on reverse, wich mine doesn't do...

regards

Ok so hopefully coding in byte 8 will fix you issue.
As for the mirror you need to have
Mirror pin 1 to fuse 4
Mirror pin 2 to earth
Mirror pin 3 to pin 1 on black connector B in CE module (12 pin connector)
Mirror pin 4 to pin 1 on both driver and passenger door module
Mirror pin 5 to pin 10 on both driver and passenger door module

As I don't have dimming door mirrors I don't have pins 4 and 5 wired, but as 3 is wired correctly the mirror 'un-dims' when I select reverse.

Ok so hopefully coding in byte 8 will fix you issue.
As for the mirror you need to have
Mirror pin 1 to fuse 4
Mirror pin 2 to earth
Mirror pin 3 to pin 1 on black connector B in CE module (12 pin connector)
Mirror pin 4 to pin 1 on both driver and passenger door module
Mirror pin 5 to pin 10 on both driver and passenger door module

As I don't have dimming door mirrors I don't have pins 4 and 5 wired, but as 3 is wired correctly the mirror 'un-dims' when I select reverse.

My PIN 3 must be incorrect as mine doesn't 'un-dim' :)
I also don't have PIN 4 and 5 connected, but i have dimming side mirrors.
I'm not using them because ran into a wall on passenger side and broke the glass and i'm trying to find the new ones without that plastic edge and also i think the kufatec loom i bought is missing those 2 connections....
I'll check the coding for you.

Regards and thanks

your right the kufatec loom does not include those 2 wires, you would need to wire them in your self. its actually 4 wires as 2 wires go to drivers side and 2 go to passenger. they join up when they go to the mirror.
if i remember correctly pin 1 in block B is already used so you will need to tap onto the existing wire.

when you can... could you check your light switch wire as well as thats where i am unsure about my setup.

your right the kufatec loom does not include those 2 wires, you would need to wire them in your self. its actually 4 wires as 2 wires go to drivers side and 2 go to passenger. they join up when they go to the mirror.
if i remember correctly pin 1 in block B is already used so you will need to tap onto the existing wire.

when you can... could you check your light switch wire as well as thats where i am unsure about my setup.

Oh it's not wired correctly as i don't recall joining any wire to an existing one...
Now that you mention it i think i didn't wire anything from the light switch... The only wire was from the DRL switch i think.
But i'll check it. I have the ELSA prints of the schematics and i'll check as soon as i get home from work today.

Damn

I have nothing of that in byte 08.
My CE is a K rev and it doesn't have nothing of that...
I'm desperate...

Byte 08 shows my this:

unledooj.png

I have no clue on where is the DRL dim option as it does nor appear anywhere in the coding...
My god when will i get this working properly.... :(

Regarding your problem.
A wire goes from PIN2 of the connection on the light switch (10 pin connector) to PIN 14 on CE (E plug)
That's the only connection, besides from the DRL switch...

Ok you have a 30 byte module. mine is 23 bytes so there is the obvious difference. can you do a screen shot of all the bytes on your CE module and pm them to me. yours looks very different from mine with a lot more options.

check your wiring still as that may be the problem here... i was playing with the settings yesterday on byte 21 and when i changed it from the 'Bi-xenon front light with separate DRL' to any other option the DRL went off and would not work at all.
My car clearly sees the DRL bulb and i am wondering if your car is wired correctly.
Also when you wired in your DRL did you disconnect the existing pin that was occupying Plug A Pin 3 and Plug D Pin 3?
or did you just tap onto the existing wire?

On my problem:
I have already wired in the light switch to the CE (pin 2 LS - pin 14 block E) but i haven't noticed any difference after wiring that in. :think:

Ok you have a 30 byte module. mine is 23 bytes so there is the obvious difference. can you do a screen shot of all the bytes on your CE module and pm them to me. yours looks very different from mine with a lot more options.

check your wiring still as that may be the problem here... i was playing with the settings yesterday on byte 21 and when i changed it from the 'Bi-xenon front light with separate DRL' to any other option the DRL went off and would not work at all.
My car clearly sees the DRL bulb and i am wondering if your car is wired correctly.
Also when you wired in your DRL did you disconnect the existing pin that was occupying Plug A Pin 3 and Plug D Pin 3?
or did you just tap onto the existing wire?

On my problem:
I have already wired in the light switch to the CE (pin 2 LS - pin 14 block E) but i haven't noticed any difference after wiring that in. :think:

Hi,

I have to ckeck the wiring. I don't remember when i wired the DRL :) but i know that the wires from the DRL arer not tapped to any other wires.
It would be great if someone with 30 byte CE could give some opinion as i know there are a few here on the forum :)
I'll do some screenshots of the options and send them to you.

Regarding your problem, do you have the schematics?
I'll send them to you.

Later when i come back home i'll double check it.
But tell me those wires are what give the power to the DRL correct?
If that wiring was not made there would be no way they would light up if i'm thinking correctly.
The thing is they work when coded to 'Bi-xenon headlight with addtional hi-beam' when i tap the hi-beam stalk...
Very very confused lol

not only does it give it power but also tells the canbus system where to send the signal. if you have wired the DRL as the shutters and the shutters as the DRL then that would show up the way you are experiencing now. i have a feeling you did not wire it correctly which is why it comes on as high beam.

But coded correctly the shutter works ok because it gives hi-beam with the xenons aswell...
I'll have to check it out again, because i recall checking them on last sunday before i came here and seemed well wired....

Hi,

So today i rechecked the wiring and all is done correctly...
Here are the screenshots of the long coding to see where is the issue:

Hope you can help.

Cheers.

Hi Mate, looking through that list of pics the only thing that i can see is Byte 17, bit 1 should be off!
there are a few other things that i have noticed...

Byte 3... bit 1 & 2... i dont have them ticked on mine, the allows both left and right lights on the rear to be used at once instead of one, why is yours set up like that?

can you also turn on byte 17 bit 4 as a test as this used to light up the fogs as DRLs on mine until i rewired Plug A Pin 3 and Plug D Pin 3 to the DRL wires on the kufatec leads, which now make the Bi-Xenon DELs come on.
I disconnected the original wires in those pins instead of splicing them and adding it on. i may at some point go back and wire them in just to complete the full circuit so that if at any point i want to test the DRL via Fog lights i can...