HELP!! DPF & Throttle Body Dilema

Nige_WG56

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just taken my 2006 Audi A4 170 Quattro S-line into my local garage, as at the weekend the glow plug light, engine management light and DPF warning lights all came on!! :fearscream:

Anyways, the garage have scanned the car this morning and have found the following faults;

- the intake flap motor (throttle body) needs replacing £700
- the DPF needs cleaning as its 70% full £350

Can anyone tell me how reasonable they are? The £350 seems reasonable in my opinion but I was shocked with the £700.

Thanks in advance!

That seems a horrendous price to me!

As far as I'm aware diesels don't have a throttle body. But ours do have an anti judder valve that can often be mistaken as an throttle body, which I cant see being any more than a couple of hundred pounds (for a genuine audi part) plus maybe half hour fitting & coding if required.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked to be honest, they're normally very competitive. I've been on the phone to my local Audi garage to see how much they charge so I'll wait to see what they quote. Like you said, I would of expected something in the region of £200-300.

That price I guessed at is for the entire anti judder valve by the way, not just the motor. I doubt a faulty anti judder valve would cause running issues unless its stuck in closed state as its only operation is to stop the engine running over when ignition is turned off?

Are you sure they're not on about the intake manifold flap actuator valve??

Small black vacuum valve situated at the front of the inlet manifold?? About £15 from the dealer, however its an inlet manifold off job to replace it.

Red - EGR valve
Yellow - Anti shudder valve
Orange - Intake manifold flap valve

Last edited:
Thanks for you're replies guys, they are replacing the anti shudder valve as its 'contaminated' with oil, as they described it. Which I've assumed is the reason why the DPF is 70% full. So they intend to take the exhaust off, clean out the DPF and take it for a regen.

I've used the garage a few times now and each time they've been very fair with me and so rather then mess about looking for new quotes or attempting to do the work myself, I gave them the nod.

However, when the work is complete I do intend to sell it and get something a bit more efficient, so if anybody is on the look out for a B7 A4 estate then it's likely to be up for sale very shortly!

I wouldnt be paying £700 for the anti-shudder valve!!

The majority of the intake system will be contaminated in oil, thats just how they are.

I wouldnt be paying £700 for the anti-shudder valve!!

The majority of the intake system will be contaminated in oil, thats just how they are.
Agreed that's just plain rude to charge that much for this job!

I'm sorry but you should be going to another garage! They will take exhaust off and clean dpf? Load of ********. You can force regen on dpf using vag com. If it doesn't regen, you willl need a new dpf or one of the sensors is gone.Also, did they say why you have oil on ASV? Maybe turbo leaking oil in the system? You might as well do asv and egr delete for half the price at darkside development! I also very much doubt faulty ASV would cause limp mode and glow plug light.

First thing I would do is call audi and find out if the car had an injector recall done!