Help! Car has 'forgotten' keys, trouble recoding

CaseyJay

Reaction score
In a bit of a panic as have only 1 car and urgent hospital appointment in the morning.

I was fitting my head unit and removed the dash/dials as I knew some of the connectors were not tight (thought this might be causing me some canbus issues - cannot read trip comp functions etc). I left this disconnected whilst I glued the connectors (the green/blue/grey things behind dash - purple 'clasp' was broken).

Put it all back and saw a couple of ABS, bulb errors so was checking with VCDS when I noticed the flashing key symbol. Both keys won't work. Managed to find my pin and tried to recode, but when I enter the # of new keys, get an ERROR. Checked channel 22 for key condition and says '0' for both suggesting already coded to another car.

Is this something to do with the cluster? Does the car think it's new? Also asked me again for the stereo pin when it's been coded before.

Any tips really welcome thanks. Looking like I might have to get new key chips?..

problem solved

...retraced steps and (think) one of the cluster connectors wasn't pushed fully home, feel a bit stupid, but got there...

guess that's enough to throw the ecu/immo off...