HELP! . . . Brake/ESP/ABS Warning on DIS

VTEC_Killer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some techinical advice . . after installing a HID kit on the A4 (2004 1.9 TDi) - everytime I switch the beams on full the DIS goes mental; The brake light warning flashes up on the cluster, ESP/ABS turns on and the brake light (0)also starts flashing!

I have done the install correctly as stated . . the worst i was expecting was a Bulb failure . . . BUT how come it has effected the brakes sensors?

When I installed the kit and tested everything was OK - but after 3rd time the warning signs flashed (gave me a boody shock :undwech: )

What do you think it can be . . .? Fuse fault/sensor fault . . . . . .?

If i turn the ignition off/on then the warning goes away but fires back up again when I turn the beams on!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :icon_thumright:

Thanks,

Sheraz

which wiring kit did you use to connect the kit up?

if you had a kit that was supplied with a wiring kit that had a relay that you connect to your battery then this wiring is not required, the only wiring you need is the wiring that connects the original headlight connector to the the ballast and then from the ballast to the xenon bulb...

hope this helps

Hi mate,

No - the kit is connected to the existing headlight then to ballast to the xenon bulb - like you have said!

I think it is sucking too much power from the battery - how do I overcome this!

Also - i tried changing the fuses on the bulds (no 20 & 21) but the slots are empty on the fuse box!!!!

Thanks,

Sheraz

i know i had those 3 of them warning lights coming up only a couple weeks ago but was an easy fix with a replacement brake light sensor. dont know whether this is the same here but surely worth a try? the sensor only costs £7 from audi. have u had it on the VAG.COM? to get a fault code

no mate,not got HID unfortunaterlY. Basically with mine i would turn the engine on then those 3 warning lights would come up, 1 of which flashed so got it on the vag.com and said i needed a new brake light sensor.... i did make a topic about this which i will find when i get home later on for u

I think mine are linked to the HID's - I think it is pulling too much from the battery but I will get it vag-com to clear the fault etc

Thanks,

Sheraz

Hi Sheraz,
I've got exactly the same on mine. I've narrowed it down to the fact that the cable from the the ballast pack is not screened and when you switch the lights on , it interferes with the can line going from the ABS control module. If you plug VAS5052 or vag com in, you will get a fault code relating to driveline can bus. To prove this, if you disconnect your left headlamp and switch the lights on, you have no probs. If you disconnect the right side, the fault will return. The way I fixed mine was to route the cabling well away from the abs control unit. Incidently, where have you mounted the ballast pack ? I've now mounted mine under neath the headlamp, same place as OE Xenons, routed the cabling away from the abs and hey presto, all is fine.
You will also find that when you get all the warning lights light up the speedo needle will drop to zero.

Hope this helps

Thanks mate - I've just sent you a pm!

I'm not sure what you mean by having the ballast 'screened'? The driver side ballast is located under the plastice air box while the other side is in the 'cage' next to the screen water box!

I've been reading that I should change the settings via vag-com and tell it it I have 'xenon' which will then increase the voltage from 10 to 11 (i think) - did you do this?

Sheraz